PDA

View Full Version : fishing cameras

troyfitt
01-19-2010, 06:52 PM
anyone know a good camera too get herd aquaview ,cabelas ,fish tv

BH1
01-19-2010, 07:11 PM
I have a marcum fish camera... the picture is excellent. I have heard a lot of good things about the aqua views too. If it was my choice for the aqua views id get the 4x4 quad cam... cool idea you can see in 4 different directions.

deerpig
01-19-2010, 07:46 PM
if you dont want to spend much id buy the Cabelas cams... 130 bucks and am lead to beleive that they blow the FISH TV out of the water. Check out Cabelas Canada....

bushnell
01-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Marcum is the better of the bunch,If I didn't already have an Aqua-veiw I would get the VS380. Have seen too many of the quad cams leak. Until they fix the problem they can keep them.

BH1
01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Until they fix the problem they can keep them
I didnt know that... my judgement was based on idea, so if he says they leak i would take his word for it.

gramps73
01-19-2010, 08:24 PM
I have the Marcum colour camera an other them it is not that great in low light conditions the battery and the LCD screen are great..
g

gunner72
01-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I've had a Fish TV for three years and it has surved it's porpose but i would recommend Aqua view

lindy rig
01-19-2010, 09:37 PM
its the only one ive owned though. it is great in the day, but is useless when the sun is down. came with a rechargeable battery and to me it was worth the 100 bucks.

gunner72
01-19-2010, 11:26 PM
absolutly right lindy worth every penny but i think if i were to replace it i would upgrade a bit.Some of the others that i've seen are better for not much more money is all i'm saying. Don't get me wrong, I can't count the number of fish i've seen on the old fish tv! My buddy has an Aqua Veiw Scout and its alot clearer and I think he only paid 150 bucks for it in the states.

ULTRAlite
01-19-2010, 11:37 PM
My brother got the cabelas cam at Christmas. Nice built around carry case and comes with the rechargable battery and charger. Beats my Fish TV for picture and value.

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=79&section=&ID=824

nicemustang
01-20-2010, 08:22 AM
IMO, i have the fishtv. It's garbage compared to the marcum vs380. with the marcum, you can see way further, clearer and better. I got my fishtv for xmas and it's a good expensive option but if you really want something better that will last (and satisfy you), go with the marcum. I haven't seen the aquavu so I don't know how good those are.

diamonddave
01-20-2010, 08:33 AM
I have the Fish tv, and it works fine, but its definatly got its draw backs. No rechargeable battery pack and the light definately has to be there. It will run all day on the 10 c batteries but that gets pricy. Or pack around another 12v battery. I rigged up a cord with alligator clips to run it off the truck battery, but then you have to move the truck every time you move the shack. If you have the budget I would go better, if not it works fine.

nicemustang
01-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Ah, if you have a 7 amp battery on the fish tv, it last 2-3 days no problem. Not sure why you'd need more than that. Hook to charger when you get home and you're good to go again.

HappySonny
01-20-2010, 10:50 AM
My brother got the cabelas cam at Christmas. Nice built around carry case and comes with the rechargable battery and charger. Beats my Fish TV for picture and value.

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=79&section=&ID=824

Does its cable have depth mark on it? Thanks!

Alex K
01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
During my time with Fishing Alberta we were sponsored by Aqua View and used them exclusively. Although I appreciate all they did for us we had numerous problems wiith the units. If we had one last a full season we were lucky. The higher end color unit they gave us which we used for a ton of underwater shots was awesome. But the others never lasted long without issues in one form or another. I hate saying this but it is true. Since then I bought my own personal Marcum, and it has the sony camera with amazing picture quality. It has not given me a minutes grief in about 3 years of use now. I understand the cabalea cameras are built by marcum so perhaps they are also a good pick.

Just my 2 cents

Bets Regards and Good Fishing

Alex Kreis

aulrich
01-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Do these cameras get used when the water is soft?

diamonddave
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Ah, if you have a 7 amp battery on the fish tv, it last 2-3 days no problem. Not sure why you'd need more than that. Hook to charger when you get home and you're good to go again.

Mine must be the real bottom of the barrell, it doesn't have a rechargeable battery in it at all. Its either 10 c's or hook right to a 12v battery.

gonefishin1966
01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Not sure about the others, but I love the aquaviews. Have had 2 for about 8 years now (darned expensive back then), and never had a isuue when them. rechargeable battery lasts about 8 hours, and they have great picture quality. They even have a lighing system on the camera, so can use it any time.
Had to replace the battery twice in that time, but at about 25 bucks apiece, can't complain at all.
What I also like is the camera looks like a real fish. They are shaped and painted like perch. We have had numerous fish, especially pike and burbot try to eat the camera instead of our bait. Now that is a lot of fun to watch.....:lol:

Angus81
01-20-2010, 04:57 PM
I have a fish tv, but use a marcum every time I go out. The marcums have a way clearer picture than any other I've used, including the aqua-vu. I'm actually planning to buy another marcum in the near future. Highly recommend them.

dezmo
01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
i had it for 5 yrs it has a good picture and the battery will last 6 hrs straight. and i've dropped mine it fell of the sled a few times and it hasn't let me down. it's good in low light conditions has no depth gage but ya i like mine. i never tried a marcum...

seahawkfisher
01-20-2010, 05:15 PM
ive been using a fish tv for 3 yrs now and have never had any problems; i lug my trolling motor battery around for it - one charge lasts the whole season. whlie the cam on it isn't that great, i never fish deep enough for it to have a problem with light etc. and even in 20-25 feet will work fine in clear water (on sunny days). for the price of better cams, you might as well get a flasher; at least with them you can "see" the whole water column
cheers

Lambo
01-20-2010, 08:33 PM
I have the inexpensive FishTV ($130 - it was okay, had to manually twist wire to look around), also owned the Marcum VS760 (360 degree rotating camera c/w remote control for $775 - I found myself constantly spinning the camera looking for fish); now I have the Aqua Vu 4x4 (brand new bought it on ebay for $330US) haven't used it yet hopefully it doesn't leak as mentioned in previous post.

huntsfurfish
01-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Have an aqua vu scout and a marcum 820. Use them both, and like them both. Scout is good, marcum is "gooder"