PDA

View Full Version : glow jigs

rxxxm22
01-21-2010, 05:39 AM
I was wondering if you guys would have any tips for recharging glow jigs after dark....

grampa and thr Gkids:)

WayneChristie
01-21-2010, 07:20 AM
try a camera flash. or get a UV penlight. I also use a regular led light

oagie
01-21-2010, 07:46 AM
UV pen is the best.

driverlong
01-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I was wondering if you guys would have any tips for recharging glow jigs after dark....

grampa and thr Gkids:)

The cheap dollar store laser pointers, seem to work the best for me.

nicemustang
01-21-2010, 08:57 AM
If you can find old/used disposable cameras with the flash. The flash on them works great and is expensive to have.

The Fisherman Guy
01-21-2010, 09:32 AM
I like the 10 million candlepower spot light, until it broke. I need to pick a new one up before the Gull Gathering!!

CountryRoadz
01-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I have a ball cap with 2 lights on the brim that seems to work when Im wandering around in the dark. Sometimes I use a little flashlight or if we are parked on the ice and the truck is running we just hold them in front of the headlights.

sco22
01-21-2010, 10:44 AM
I have a small plastic hook box, maybe 8"x4" that I throw the plugs into with a glow stick. It isn't see through plastic like you typically get and I just rotate them through that. Keeps about 10 heads on full glow for hours.

Cheers.

rxxxm22
01-21-2010, 10:55 AM
thanks guys

I knew you could be counted on for some good ideas.......really looking forward to gull.......wife and I will be there for sure and i am trying to get the gkids ......I wonder ....is this gull trip sorta meant for adults only ??

Ron & Mar

FishBrain
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
thanks guys

I knew you could be counted on for some good ideas.......really looking forward to gull.......wife and I will be there for sure and i am trying to get the gkids ......I wonder ....is this gull trip sorta meant for adults only ??

Ron & Mar

No, not just adults. Everyone is invited. I am doing my best to make it, and will bring my 9, 7, and 5 year olds with me
Looking forward to meating you there Ron

rxxxm22
01-21-2010, 11:25 AM
No, not just adults. Everyone is invited. I am doing my best to make it, and will bring my 9, 7, and 5 year olds with me
Looking forward to meating you there Ron

my gkids are 9&7...sounds like fun 4 them {and the old folks lol}

ron xxx mar

slingshotz
01-21-2010, 01:24 PM
I have a little UV penlight used for curing patches for waders. Only takes a few seconds and it charges the jig extremely well. Contrary to what people think, it's not how bright the light is that charges the jigs, it's the wavelength. That's why a UV light will make the jig look radioactive after a few seconds, whereas a 10 million candlelight will never charge the jig to glow so bright you can see it in the daylight.

oagie
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
my gkids are 9&7...sounds like fun 4 them {and the old folks lol}

ron xxx mar

Im bringing my 6 and 7 year old girls.

The Fisherman Guy
01-21-2010, 02:06 PM
I have a little UV penlight used for curing patches for waders. Only takes a few seconds and it charges the jig extremely well. Contrary to what people think, it's not how bright the light is that charges the jigs, it's the wavelength. That's why a UV light will make the jig look radioactive after a few seconds, whereas a 10 million candlelight will never charge the jig to glow so bright you can see it in the daylight.

Wow, I had no idea! That is great information! Thanks Slingshotz.

Where does one purchase a UV Penlight?

aulrich
01-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I was just poking around cabelas.com they have them there, I bet our local stores have them but I would bet it is where the wader repair stuff is.

This package looks good UV cured wader repair and the knot stuff would seem to have potential as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20437-cat20507&id=0011253318960a&navCount=2&podId=0011253&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat20507&hasJS=true

Just checked Nosale Sports has it on thier web site too.

WayneChristie
01-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Wow, I had no idea! That is great information! Thanks Slingshotz.

Where does one purchase a UV Penlight?

I ordered a bunch of lure making stuff, including super glow paint, and also an UV penlight, they are pretty cheap
http://www.luremaking.com/index.htm
and please do bring the kids, its even more fun when they outfish Jeff!!!!

slingshotz
01-21-2010, 06:57 PM
I was just poking around cabelas.com they have them there, I bet our local stores have them but I would bet it is where the wader repair stuff is.

This package looks good UV cured wader repair and the knot stuff would seem to have potential as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20437-cat20507&id=0011253318960a&navCount=2&podId=0011253&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat20507&hasJS=true

Just checked Nosale Sports has it on thier web site too.

That Loon's UV light is exactly the one I have. Got it at Wholesale sports when they were clearing out a bunch of stuff last fall. Just don't point it at your eye.....

sir pikealott
01-22-2010, 06:21 AM
I picked up a flash at Bass pro shop. About the size of a cigarette pack, fits nice in your front shirt pocket. Found it hanging with all the lures, about $5-$10, AA Batteries not included. Also, the headlights of the truck if we drive on, as mentioned in a previous reply.

jrcw
01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
After reading the posts on this thread I think I'll be switching to a UV light. Up until now I've been using an LED headlamp. The headlamp works great for throwing light on your hole when you're fighting a fish, making it easier to see your line and the fish...no hands required.

GummyMonster
01-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Using that uv penlight is amazing.My wonderful wife(she reads these!:D) let me go on one last ice tackle shopping run .
Found a uv light in the fly tyeing section for $11.99.It really is crazy how bright it makes glow jigs.
Thanx big time for the tip!!
Can't wait to head out for nighttime Burbot and Jack next week.
:evilgrin:Ken:evilgrin:

Geezle
02-06-2010, 10:40 PM
It took a while, but I finally managed to track myself down one of those UV pen lights from WSS...it was around $18 I believe.

So I was wondering now, are there situations where it would be more beneficial to use a glow lure/bait than others? Low light conditions would be the obvious one...

Do you guys seem to have more success with the glow lures over the regular ones, or is it just another option? :)

Kim473
02-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Dont forget to check the dollar store for some things realy cheap. glow sticks

Geezle
02-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Dont forget to check the dollar store for some things realy cheap. glow sticks

Do the glow sticks light up the glow jigs etc. better than say, a regular flashlight, or LED light? :confused:

The one downside I can think of with the glow sticks is that you have to keep buying them, and there's the garbage that comes along with something disposable like this. On the bright side though, you wouldn't have to worry about dropping a glow stick down the hole...I'm pretty sure they float :)