PDA

View Full Version : a day of exciting frustration

jpietrzak1979
01-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Well went out for a full day of fishing after my elusive burbot... following rumors that it exists someplace on isle lake. Set up my rig then go to help a friend dig his holes. Come back... my hooks FLAT! This I attribute to leaving a fish hooked for too long but I am gratified as my location seemed barren of life in the water when I set up.
Fine, I bend her up again, set up... something steals my bait. No clue saw the bait and not the culprit who took it. Still wondering if I've cornered my nemesis.
Setup again, try to stretch out... BAM! 1-hit 1 instant flattened out hook again. Holy crap I figure.
Now I wonder well... is my hook too flimsy for this action (though I've landed a number of 5lbs pike on them no trouble) Unfortunately the only thing stronger I had in my kit for plain hooks was double reinforced tri-hooks which I don't care for cus they don't seem to get hooked very often compared to single hooks. Ok... Smack... didn't hook on just like I feared. Days getting on and nothing happening... haven't had a hit all day on my secondary line running a powerbait worm just to try it out. Figure well I will zip up my tent to warm up since that aint gonna move. Cell rings, it's work related have to take it. Certainly. Secondary line tugs up... its light but insistent... I'm thinking walleye by the feel. Juggling the phone while trying not to sound like i'm ice fishing, trying to zip down the tent, dragging it behind me on 1 foot I let the line go slack and the fish is off.
Alright, I can handle it... reset... Hit.. nice set hook, he's up to the hole, see a flash of white.. not fighting hard still thinking walleye... snap... line breaks. No excuse for it at all. Thinking God wants a little humility lesson and it's late and I went home. :confused:
Still don't know what I was fighting with all day. Coming back with reinforced single hooks next time wife lets me go... lol
Jay

ULTRAlite
01-21-2010, 08:39 PM
One of those days.... Better hooks, tighter lines. But that's why it's called fishing and not catching!

rielbowhunter
01-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I would bye some new hooks. and try again

gramps73
01-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Look at the bright side at least now you know your hooks will bend and you need new line. With that said a least you found the fish
Better luck next time.
G

jpietrzak1979
01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Well yes in fact I was surprised at how many bites I got in unexplored territory, so no complaints there! Just wish I coulda found out if it was the species I wanted, poke his head out the hole, say hi, then he can go if needs be.
Will definitely be a round 2... still can't belive they stripped them hooks though! :lol: Kind of hoping they were huge to explain it and that there are lots of huge ones there. ;)
Jay

wildman
01-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Had a day like that once....
Snapped 3 hooks in a row....
Last time I ever used a russian teardrop....

fishunter77
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
At least Walter will be there next time.:) I hope you keep after him.

Good luck.