PDA

View Full Version : Tough sledding in Central AB today!

pikester
01-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Decided to get up early & hit Gull this morning, left Strathmore at 4:30am:sick: . Got to Brownlows @ 7:20am, was very wierd driving onto the lake in pitch black. Suprisingly there was already one guy fishing! Spent 5hrs fishing several different depths & some structure & only saw 1 jumbo perch(which grabbed the wrong end of my jig then buggered off) & 2 of the fattest whities i've ever seen!

Decided to try & salvage the afternoon by stopping at Pine on the way home. Drilled dozens of holes from 25ft to 12ft & found fish in almost every hole- trouble was none of them would hit:mad2:. Time after time I would drop my jigs or spoons & watch on my flasher & almost every time a fish (walleye or perch likely) would slowly swim off the bottom, hover inches away from my bait & just sit there until it got bored & swam back down.

I tried every trick in the book; small jigs, medium jigs, large jigs, swimming jigs, tiny spoons, small spoons, spoons with droppers, drop shotting, meal worms, maggots, strips of bacon, strips of smelts, Gulp fish fry, Gulp minnow heads, salmon eggs, etc.- no dice:huh:!

Finally, in the 13ft holes, managed a couple very cagy 8" perch & one very suprised 7" walleye on.....ready for it....... an HT Marmooshka jig baited with little strips of calamari! It was a long, relatively unproductive day but it is always nice to get out.