PDA

View Full Version : Whites

huntin'fool
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
If you could pick only one week out of jan/feb/march to fish whites, which would it be?

I think I would do last week of Feb.

I am very curious to see what you all choose!

PS, the spawn is finally over in my neck of the woods and they are hungry again.

RedFisher
01-21-2010, 11:30 PM
personally i would choose the first week or march...right when the ice is about 5-6 inches and sketch as hell...ive always hit lac. st. anne about that time of year and had great luck..

tchow
01-22-2010, 12:16 AM
IMO Whites really pick up when the Burbs go into their Spawning rituals. Whites tag along and feed upon loose eggs. With that being said, I've noticed that the Ling Spawn can be different from lake to lake and times being 1-3 weeks off.
Had the week marked off from 2008 Hardwater season on Sylvan and the Ling Spawn was off by 2 weeks in 2009. Still caught some Whites but it was crazy once the Ling went into Spawning mode...

slingshotz
01-22-2010, 10:48 AM
IMO Whites really pick up when the Burbs go into their Spawning rituals. Whites tag along and feed upon loose eggs. With that being said, I've noticed that the Ling Spawn can be different from lake to lake and times being 1-3 weeks off.
Had the week marked off from 2008 Hardwater season on Sylvan and the Ling Spawn was off by 2 weeks in 2009. Still caught some Whites but it was crazy once the Ling went into Spawning mode...

Since they are feeding on the roe do they still hit the normal spoons and wireworms? The other thing I've been wanting to try is roe sacs from the burbs as in theory they should be killer, has anyone tried this yet? I know we use salmon roe sacks all the time in BC for the Dollies and they work incredible.

huntin'fool
01-22-2010, 02:44 PM
So tchow, what time of year is the burbot spawn? and what depth of water do they spawn in?

sloughboy
01-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Does anyone know when Whitefish spawn on Pigeon and how long they spawn for? Is that why they havent paid any attention to my hooks in the last couple of weeks?

Drewski Canuck
01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Long ago we fished Pigeon in the middle between the nets for whites. We would bottom bounce small gold Kastmasters, wetaskiwin wizards, etc. Limits of fish.

I am pinned down this weekend, but I am willing to bet if you hit 35 feet of water off the Provincial Park, about 1.5 miles out, and started cutting holes in a straight line, you will find active fish sooner or later.

Drewski

tchow
01-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Since they are feeding on the roe do they still hit the normal spoons and wireworms? The other thing I've been wanting to try is roe sacs from the burbs as in theory they should be killer, has anyone tried this yet? I know we use salmon roe sacks all the time in BC for the Dollies and they work incredible.

I've been thinking about tying up a bunch of tiny roe sacks to try out. I've had times when the Whites were staying around when the Ling were spawning. They would go into a feeding frenzy and stir up bottom for the Eggs. There's always going to be a few out of the bunch that's going to inhale anything it can before others get to it...Once a few Whites start a feeding frenzy, it attracts others from all around.
Timing is critical. Hopefully I can get some footage when the Ling Spawn is going and see the Whites going crazy.

The Anvil
01-22-2010, 11:45 PM
That would be cool tchow,
I would like to see a video like that.

tchow
01-23-2010, 12:08 AM
So tchow, what time of year is the burbot spawn? and what depth of water do they spawn in?
For 2007 and 2008 fished out at Sylvan and found best time was around first 2 weeks in March. For 2009 the Ling were behind by 1.5 weeks- 2 weeks.
Someone posted a couple of weeks back of a Map of Gull with areas of Critical fish habitat in Gull Lake. I printed it off and want to say a belated thanks...
Back to the question: ( from Fish of Alberta - Joynt.Sullivan) From Feb to Mar, over sand or gravel, groups of Burbots gather together to simultaneously release eggs and milt. No nest or parental care. Hatch in 30 days Mature at 3-4 years, lives to 15 years.

This has been mentioned before on previous posts as Ling Balls. They gather up and form a Ball like formation. Pending on which lakes you target them and where Sand or Gravel is found.
On Sylvan, I've found them at 20+ ft. If you fish Gull, there is alot of shallow water with Sand especially on the East side of the lake...
At MacGregor lake, the North end has both Sand and Gravel and depths from 3-4 ft to 25 ft...
I usually drill a bunch of holes from shallow to deep. Set the UW Cam in the vertical position. This way, when I put the Cam down the hole, it is viewing a much wider angle to see where the Ling are travelling to. Once you locate a Ling Ball, drill a bunch of holes in the vacinity and have fun.

fish99
01-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Does anyone know when Whitefish spawn on Pigeon and how long they spawn for? Is that why they havent paid any attention to my hooks in the last couple of weeks?

whitefish spawn at the end of oct to first of dec

RedFisher
01-23-2010, 05:39 PM
I've been thinking about tying up a bunch of tiny roe sacks to try out. I've had times when the Whites were staying around when the Ling were spawning. They would go into a feeding frenzy and stir up bottom for the Eggs. There's always going to be a few out of the bunch that's going to inhale anything it can before others get to it...Once a few Whites start a feeding frenzy, it attracts others from all around.
Timing is critical. Hopefully I can get some footage when the Ling Spawn is going and see the Whites going crazy.

my personal fav. is to find a nice sand bar in about 6-15 ft. of water drop a silver spoon down one hole hit the sand up real hard cause a big sand cloud...drop a wire worm down the other hole sit it about 3 inches off the bottom sometimes ever leave it on the bottom and wait..they usually come in groups..and hit hard..if your quick you can pull up two or three..

Soiler
01-23-2010, 07:01 PM
I've found the ling spawning on sand flats next to rock gardens in about 15 to 20ft of water off the island at Pigeon in the middle of march. The whites have eluded me year after year there during the spawn>:mad3:

sloughboy
01-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Drewski, thanks for the "go-deep" advice. Next Friday I shall look for those couple of 30' deep spots near the middle of Pigeon.....the shallows are just not producing any active fish.