PDA

View Full Version : Info on Kitsim Res. (west of Newell)

KJPFISH
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I am thinking of trying out Kitsim Res. (located immediately west of Lake Newell) for the first time on Sunday and would appreciate any info and advise others might be willing to share. I heard it was fishing okay the beginning of last week, but any current reports and advice where to start drilling holes, depth, ice conditions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Good fishing!

KJPFISH

dennisb
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Very shallow lake. My father-in-law fishes it 2-3 times aweek and the fishing has been super slow for the last 2 weeks or so. The very west side is popular along the rock weir. I know my father-in-law caught quite a few there last winter and some really big ones also, he thought is was the best place ever for pike, and this year he thinks its the worst place ever...

Good luck, keep us posted on how you make out.

WayneChristie
01-22-2010, 05:36 PM
the last couple weeks around the Brooks area have been really bad for pike. Today was no better, hopefully it will pick up if the cold weather stays. Cant believe I can catch 16 one day and the next 2 weeks get nothing. starting to not really like chinooks so much. :D

rustynailz
01-22-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the chinooks...in my experience late January is just not great pike fishing most of the time in southern AB.

Let's talk in three weeks - I'll bet that everyone is nailing them.

cujo1969
01-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Did kitsim winter kill last year?
We tried later in the year thru the ice and all the holes we drilled came up with smelly water weeds looked black smelled rotten.

WayneChristie
01-23-2010, 07:21 AM
we caught pike there last summer so no I dont think it winterkilled

KJPFISH
01-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the helpful info guys. Unfortunately the poor weather conditions in southern AB kept me home this weekend - may be another time.

Good fishing!

KJPFISH

WayneChristie
01-24-2010, 09:08 PM
should have braved the weather, the fishing is starting to pick up now. CO on Clear told us February the pike fishing will be good again, so shouldnt be too long now