PDA

View Full Version : De-Barbing Hooks

Winch101
01-24-2010, 09:47 AM
As I have read about a few tickets being handed out for Barbs this year .

I thought I would debarb while watching the NFL. I am sure I read about

someone using a Dremmel to do this.... I looked through the attachments that came with mine and really dont see something that would work ...
just wondering what tool you use on a dremmel to do this ....Thnx W101

gramps73
01-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Winch
thought of this many times while out on the water or the ice. If you have made an attempt to crimp your barbs with pliers and you still have a bump or a snag on it can you still get a ticket. I have also heard that they are handing out tickets for 4 lb line test. I would think after 5 or so years of no barbs in the province they would sell them like that.

Geezle
01-24-2010, 09:59 AM

someone using a Dremmel to do this.... I looked through the attachments that came with mine and really dont see something that would work ...
I just have a cheap 'rotary tool' from Princess Auto...it came with a bunch of little grinding stones...I just use the smallest diameter one and it works well for getting rid of the barbs...just gotta make sure you don't overdo it :)
Winch
thought of this many times while out on the water or the ice. If you have made an attempt to crimp your barbs with pliers and you still have a bump or a snag on it can you still get a ticket. I have also heard that they are handing out tickets for 4 lb line test. I would think after 5 or so years of no barbs in the province they would sell them like that.

What's this about tickets for 4lb test?? :confused:

DarkAisling
01-24-2010, 10:01 AM
I use the aluminum oxide grinding stones. They work great, and you should have at least one of two in your kit. They're specifically indicated for grinding metal.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catid=51&catname=Grinding+Stones+-+Aluminum+Oxide

Note that you'll want to wear safety glasses, as bits can fly. Also, hold the hook/jig in a pair of pliers. Do not try holding onto them with your hand . . . the hook could be ripped out of it! If you've got long hair, tie it back. It could get wrapped up in the Dremmel.

I learned all three of those things the hard way. :o

Ken07AOVette
01-24-2010, 10:20 AM
I use the aluminum oxide grinding stones. They work great, and you should have at least one of two in your kit. They're specifically indicated for grinding metal.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catid=51&catname=Grinding+Stones+-+Aluminum+Oxide

Note that you'll want to wear safety glasses, as bits can fly. Also, hold the hook/jig in a pair of pliers. Do not try holding onto them with your hand . . . the hook could be ripped out of it! If you've got long hair, tie it back. It could get wrapped up in the Dremmel.

I learned all three of those things the hard way. :o

You aren't still debarbing nekkid, are you? :D

flygirrl
01-24-2010, 10:22 AM
You aren't still debarbing nekkid, are you? :D
:evilgrin:Safety first:D

Paul C
01-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Winch
The best wasy to flatten barbs is using stainless steal pliers. I bought mine at a hospital supplier. They are small enough to get between #14 hook. Please clarify yoour comment on 4# test line.:huh:

flygirrl
01-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Yes please clarify. Havnt a clue as to the 4lb test line and I thought I knew it all LOL

fishstix
01-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I carry a pair of needle nose pliers for the big hooks (sz 2-14) and a pair of foresnips for the little ones (sz 16-22)

Piker
01-24-2010, 11:15 AM
One poster a while back stated that a C.O. pulled a piece of 4lb. test line across the flattened barb and if it snagged you either got a warning or a ticket. Piker

Geezle
01-24-2010, 11:25 AM
One poster a while back stated that a C.O. pulled a piece of 4lb. test line across the flattened barb and if it snagged you either got a warning or a ticket. Piker

Ahh..I remember that thread, and that "test" :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that's what gramps was referring to :)

As for selling barbless hooks...it probably makes more sense financially for the manufacturers to make them all with barbs (since many places still allow barbs) and let the end user pinch/grind them off, rather than setting up everything to produce both barbed and barbless hooks.

If you search around a little though, you can find barbless hooks and replace the hooks on your lures with them :)

GUNRACK
01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
hey guys, I used my dremel tool on all my ice fishing hooks a couple of years ago. Beware I had to replace almost half of them, the heat created by the grinding weakened the steel to the point that if they didn't break the would just straiten out, now just stainless steel forceps. this was a costly mistake i wouldn't wish on anyone!

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/GUNRACK1/th_icefishing002.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/GUNRACK1/?action=view&current=icefishing002.jpg)

Fisherpeak
01-24-2010, 12:46 PM
You guys have a barbless restriction for lakes as well as rivers and streams?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Winch

Id love to see them prove this especially when I'm using some the new lines , Braided line for example . Could be 10 lb test line with 4 lb diameter . I dont think I quite believe this .
The best way to flatten barbs is using stainless steal pliers. I bought mine at a hospital supplier. They are small enough to get between #14 hook. Please clarify your comment on 4# test line.:huh:

X 2 On the Forceps . Most fly fishermen already use them , And definitely the best trick way better then needle nose pliers and wicked for removing hooks to , so your not getting those old rusty needle nose pliers in your catches mouth .

Unregistered user
01-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Some great ideas here, I've been using my teeth but pliers make a lot more sense. Thanx!

gramps73
01-24-2010, 03:18 PM
they run the line over the barb and if it gets hung up they write you a ticket, I have also heard of them using panty hose it snags you get fine..

Mike_W
01-24-2010, 05:19 PM
They really have to come up with a proper way of determining a barbless hook all of this is hearsay.
I personally try to pinch the tip of the barb tight against the shank and if it feels smooth to the finger tip its barbless. somtimes there is still a bludge but its smooth ...is that still barbless?

Dougie55
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
I stayed away from this discussion, as I seem to draw attention from a couple of the known twits on here. I am glad you brought this up though Gunrack. It is VERY TRUE. If you are going to use a grinding tool, use it at a speed that will not overheat the hook. As stated the hook can get too hot and brittle. Use the slowest speed possible, and grind a little at a time. Softer stones help as well, but they do wear faster.

huntsfurfish
01-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Mike I do the same as you. If it doesnt catch on me (feels smooth to my touch) its not going to hold the fish either. But you and I may be fighting that in court.:(;)

Dougie55
01-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Just another small point. Remember that most pliers have a ridged clamping area, therefore sometimes not being able to crimp totally. Try to use a pliers set that is totally flat.

Paul C
01-24-2010, 06:21 PM
they run the line over the barb and if it gets hung up they write you a ticket, I have also heard of them using panty hose it snags you get fine..
They use cotton batten ? to check for tearing of cotton. The younger f&w use there eyes. I little overkill to say the least.
Cheers and Happy Barb removal:D

Paul C
01-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Just another small point. Remember that most pliers have a ridged clamping area, therefore sometimes not being able to crimp totally. Try to use a pliers set that is totally flat. The hospital tool is flat jaw no grip and works well down to a #14 hook. I do not know the name of this instument but it is not forcips. :huh:

AthaB282
01-24-2010, 06:51 PM
prolly just a clamp I also use surgical forceps never had any problems. caught a nice 14.5 pound laker hands were frozen, while the c.o is yacking at me the stinger hook went right to the bone in the index fingertip, pulled it out ,he mused " thats definatly barbless" and went to check others.

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Mike I do the same as you. If it doesnt catch on me (feels smooth to my touch) its not going to hold the fish either. But you and I may be fighting that in court.:(;)

X3. I may be sitting beside u both in court:innocent: Hopefully the judge fishes, s/he would let us off the hook I am sure:D

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Long thin smooth pliers work great for me and also make it much easier to get deep hooks out of fishies mouths too!
Cheers.

Trout Addict
01-24-2010, 09:15 PM
I substitute all my hooks with Gamatzu Treble or Single Hooks. Sooo much sharper, little pricier but what the hell.

Joe Fehr
01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
X3. I may be sitting beside u both in court:innocent: Hopefully the judge fishes, s/he would let us off the hook I am sure:D

Any Officer that wrote me a ticket would definitely see me in court if they bothered to show up. As long as a good attempt was made to render it useless I can't see a problem and anyone that wants me to stop fishing longer then to look at my hook when I am doing everything right might be told to go away! :wave:

mikelikefish
01-25-2010, 08:05 PM

is there some regs on the barbless rules so far I have been crimping and understood that was ok

Paul C
01-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Try telling a F&W officer that your eye sight is certified to CSA 178.2 for welding inspectors and watch the reaction on there face. I can clearly see a barb on those tiny flies. When they questioned me I produced the document. The government do what they want.
Cheers and Happy Wishin :evilgrin::D

tacklerunner
01-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Pinch the barbs the best you can by whatever means. We fish for the sport not for food. Keep what you'll consume, release the rest. If a CO can't make a reasonable judgement call then he/she aren't very human are they?My buddies got busted on Badger Lake last week; 4 of them, $200 each = $800. They clearly were using barbed hooks. Fair enough, lesson learned. But running material along the barb to see if it catches is excessive in my mind. If the barbs are not exposed the hook is barbless. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a barbed hook vs. one that one has attempted to the best of their ability to make barbless until you get into size 14+. So leave us alone. We're out there to have fun, playing by the rules. Don't nitpick to make a buck.:confused:

Paul C
01-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Last year a guy got a ticket for barbed hooks on his line and also fined for his family fishing gear. Grand Total was $1400. Thats an expense fishing trip.

Kingfisher
01-26-2010, 02:27 AM
When I debarb my hooks I use a Dremel model 800 cordless Dremel. It has a 10.8 volt Lithium-ion battery. Which means you will wear out before the battery does. They are a hundred bucks at Revy.
http://img-asia.electrocomponents.com/largeimages/R506346-01.jpg

For taking off the barbs I use a Dremel Diamond Point bit, #7144. The bits are about $20 at Revy.
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/Dremel-7144-rw-95676-161561.jpg
It is small enough to do size 18 fly hooks and large enough to do large jigs or hooks from the largest lures. The diamond point makes quick work of the barbs without heating up the hook. The heat is what makes the hooks loose their temper. So the quicker you can do it the better off you are. Besides who really wants to waste time debarbing hooks when you could be fishing?

What I like about this tool is that you can charge it up and bring it along with you. It's certainly cheaper than the $200 ticket.

Rob

Paul C
01-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Princess Auto also sells a kit that is cheaper than the dremel.