PDA

View Full Version : eating fish from wabamun??

Brock1
01-24-2010, 10:23 AM
hey im just takin my 6 yr old out to wabamun or lake isle for the afternoon. nyone know if they lifted the consumption ban at wabamun?

DuckBrat
01-24-2010, 10:53 AM
No sir.

TrollGRG
01-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Actually the law is 0 catch and keep at Wabamun. Don't even consider consumption.

JtotheL
01-24-2010, 11:11 AM
The fishing Regs state 0 catch limits and in case you miss that they also say Not to eat the fish. A strong hint that whatever doesn't kill you only makes you more carcinogenic.:(

DuckBrat
01-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Very exciting to see how the fishing has improved since the accident. Whitefish and pike are more plentiful and the size of fish has increased immensely. I pray that the ban stays put as it is nice to have a quality angling experience in that area. It will be interesting to see the response of the fishery to the Wabamun power plant closure this spring. I'll miss the early season flyfishing but not the yellow plume of smoke that stretches across the region.

Paul C
01-24-2010, 06:35 PM
hey im just takin my 6 yr old out to wabamun or lake isle for the afternoon. nyone know if they lifted the consumption ban at wabamun? A number of years ago I went for some late season whites. I noticed the water a seba beach pier was cloudy. I took my shovel and cut threw all of the snow layers and I noticed that between each layer of snow that the was a light grey color to the snow. I bet it is all of the ash that comes out of those smoke stacks. If there is that much I can see with my eye and the fish must have high levels of poison in there blood. Fun Lake to fish but do not eat them.

RedFisher
01-24-2010, 07:29 PM
personaly i wouldnt eat fish out of either...isle has lot of algey...and wab... o limit..now my buddys a treaty native and has taken and kept a few:cry::cry: and eaten them and hasnt gotten sick but it is C&R..so if you get caught:wave::wave::wave::wave: your going away..

sdimedru
01-24-2010, 08:13 PM
it IS great to hear of a "trophy" fishery around here... I am going to make an effort to get out this year and give it a shot... too bad there is such poor shore access!!!

Kim473
01-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Great fishing but 0 limits

Brock1
01-26-2010, 07:57 AM
thx guys i noticed the 0 limit in the regs an hour after i posted this. we went to lake isle and had some fun with pike. my 6 yr old caught her first 3 pike and one keeper. so well worth the hour drive for some fun in the snow..

spopadyn
01-26-2010, 11:37 AM
To be honest - you could probably keep the fish out of Wabamun if you wanted (the 0 limit is due to contamination) - but why would you? Last tests showed PCB's in the fish. Pure poison. Awesome fihery though - real hogs and plenty of fish. Are the whitefish contaminated as well?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-26-2010, 11:54 AM
To be honest - you could probably keep the fish out of Wabamun if you wanted (the 0 limit is due to contamination) - but why would you? Last tests showed PCB's in the fish. Pure poison. Awesome fihery though - real hogs and plenty of fish. Are the whitefish contaminated as well?

0 means 0 , Doesnt matter what the reason . If you were to keep fish from Wabamun when the limit is 0 you'll be charged with Poaching no questions asked.

perchie15
02-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Maybe thats why the fishing is so great there, and why there so big, cause must of been something in that oil, like steroids or something to make them grow faster and bigger haha! First time there was today caught 2 pike in 30mins then i left due to darkness. Definatly going back tomorrow :)

ice
02-06-2010, 10:52 PM
I Dont know where you guys get this information from.
That plant dosent give off any poison. Most of the stuff coming out of those stacks are steam. The Bunker Fuel spill Has had no toxicolodical effect on the fish.

Lake Wabamun

Consumption advisory still in place three years after a CN Rail train derailed

The effects of the CN Rail train derailment just over three years ago are still being felt, as there is still evidence of contamination at Lake Wabamun.

A fish and waterfowl consumption advisory sent out by Alberta Health Services – Capital Health and Health Canada last week warns that although no accumulation of oil or chemicals have been found in waterfowl or fish tested, consumption by humans should still be limited.

The Alberta Sustainable Resource Development – Fish and Wildlife has restricted fishing at Lake Wabamun to catch and release only, meaning that no fish caught in the lake is allowed to be kept.

“Our catch and release regulation this year is purely a population related rule,” said Mike Jenkinson, public affairs spokesperson for Fish and Wildlife.

“It has nothing to do with any consumption advisories that Capital Health has in place.”

He noted that catch and release regulations are very common and fluctuate with the needs of each individual lake.

Ongoing contaminant monitoring in fish and waterfowl has been conducted since the derailment happened in 2005, and although there have been no signs of accumulated oils or chemicals, bird consumption should be limited to only those that were not contaminated in the original oil spill.

Source - http://www.tcrc76.com/23Aug2008.htm

jpietrzak1979
02-06-2010, 11:21 PM
personaly i wouldnt eat fish out of either...isle has lot of algey...and wab... o limit..now my buddys a treaty native and has taken and kept a few:cry::cry: and eaten them and hasnt gotten sick but it is C&R..so if you get caught:wave::wave::wave::wave: your going away..

Well I have been eating out of Isle Lake all winter and the pike taste just as good as out of anywhere else. The summer algae bloom might make it a bit swampy for a month or two I suppose but otherwise it's a good place to go have had alot of good size fish out of there and more reliable action than Jackfish Lake.

tonyflyfish
02-06-2010, 11:26 PM
the lake is contaminated with arsenic (toxic). I personally wouldn't even look at the water never mind fish it. Of course the gov't says it is ok as our conservative gov't is controlled by the likes of CN. Go research how much CN and its subsiduaries contributed to the PC party and candidates. Enough to create their own stats.

ice
02-07-2010, 03:46 PM
There's No Arsenice in Bunker Fuel.Arsenic Is In Coke. Another Type of fuel Ships use to run. Coke is a solid Not an oil. And bunker fuel dosent have or cause pcbs until after it is burned. Its Just another petroleum Based oil... there is arsenic in the laks. But theres arsenic in many lakes along with metals Like. lead. Copper etc. Theres a whole list, Its an oil contamination. as it says. Its sitting at the bottom of the lake.
you all worry too much.
And i know about the railway. I work on the railway. If you think CN has any influence over the government then you should do a little research yourself.
On why all of cn's Offices got raided by the RCMP Years back.
And Why would Cn's Contribution have any effect on anything of this sort.
Its an oil Spill.
Cn Was Charged,
Cleaning efforts where made.
There is No long term damage.
There are no cover ups when it comes to things like this.
Especially when people like Health Canada And Capital health Become involved

BuckHunterBowen
02-07-2010, 11:13 PM
this lake is turning into pigeon just the pike are gunna take over...sure its fun to catch all these big fish but they are gunna run outta food and we are gunna get mad at alberta for not doing something about it

ice
02-07-2010, 11:32 PM
??? i catch alot of walleye and whitefish at pigeon.
you just have to know where to go.
that being said. the only other species in wab really are perch and whitefish and ling.
I dont fish for them tho
Altho iv been told wab is a pretty good whitefish lake by quiet a few realatives

Penner
02-08-2010, 09:11 AM
this lake is turning into pigeon just the pike are gunna take over...sure its fun to catch all these big fish but they are gunna run outta food and we are gunna get mad at alberta for not doing something about it

Based on What??? :lol:

The Whites, Pike, Perch, Muskrats, and what ever else was in the lake before we got here did just fine for many years so I have no idea how you could think leaving everything as C&R will allow the Pike to take over in Wabamun. Ironically the CN rail incident was the best thing to happen to this lake in terms of improving the quality of angling. All species will do just fine until we open it up for catch and keeping again.

The unbalance in our lakes and rivers are caused by people interfering with natural balance. The main cause is the keeping of too many fish of any one specific species in that body of water, illegal stocking of invasive species, or sometimes because of habitat destruction all the cause of human activity.

To throw in my two cents on the health of the water within the lake after the oil spill, how about someone volunteers to place one eye drop of Pole Treating Oil into their glass of water, have a drink, and let us know how your feeling the net day??? Same goes for WD-40. :sick:

I’ll stick to not having those flavors added to my drink thank you very much.

spopadyn
02-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Wabamu is not Pigeon. I fished both last year. In Pigeon, we caught 40 walleye all 1-3 pounds and rather skinny looking. In Wabamun, we caught 40-50 northerns ranging from 1 to 15 lbs. In otherwords, all different sizes and all fat. The fishery in Wabamun will do real well as these are the natural species. In Pigeon, this is all manufactured and they seriously need to thin out the skinny walleye.