PDA

View Full Version : What to do when the walleye bite is slow?

jrcw
01-24-2010, 10:50 AM
I've got a shack on Lesser Slave Lake and fish there often. Over the past week or two the action has been pretty slow. I'm guessing a few factors are at play. It not being a peak time of year coupled with prolonged periods of feeding-friendly weather likely have a lot to do with it. In an effort to keep putting fish on the ice I've gone to the typical slow-bite techniques; moving around, down-sizing tackle and bait, deadsticking etc. While I've yet to be skunked, it still hasn't been all that great. Does anyone out there have any tricks up their sleeves when it comes to coaxing those neutral or negative walters into biting?? Much thanks and tight lines everybody!!

Wulfespirit
01-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I've got a shack on Lesser Slave Lake and fish there often. Over the past week or two the action has been pretty slow. I'm guessing a few factors are at play. It not being a peak time of year coupled with prolonged periods of feeding-friendly weather likely have a lot to do with it. In an effort to keep putting fish on the ice I've gone to the typical slow-bite techniques; moving around, down-sizing tackle and bait, deadsticking etc. While I've yet to be skunked, it still hasn't been all that great. Does anyone out there have any tricks up their sleeves when it comes to coaxing those neutral or negative walters into biting?? Much thanks and tight lines everybody!!

I don't think there's any miracle solution. If you're staying mobile, you're ahead of the game. Get alot deeper and if that doesn't work, trying going very shallow. If you have a cam or flasher around and you're not seeing many fish, keeping moving until you find better density.. that's half the battle.

Deadsticking is that last thing I do if the walleye are slow. When they're not actively feeding you have to do a lot of twitching and jigging to trigger strikes. Bottom bounce your presentation alot and keeping it twitching more than still.. it's the only way you're going to get the attention of inactive walleye. Downsizing can work but if you're seeing fish and they're not showing much interest, go big.. you'd be surprised how often that works too.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-24-2010, 01:12 PM
This is when you use the tallent of peeing your name in the snow .:D:D:D:D:D

Ken07AOVette
01-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Like Wooly Mammoth Hunter said yesterday, if he could forecast when and where the fish would be biting he would be a billionaire.

If eyes aren't biting, maybe try for another species?

Dr. Fish
01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Ice fishing for walleyes can be frustrating and regardless if they are negative or active I go for a reaction bite all day long. I use jigging spoons, two in particular are the lindy rattlin flyer and williams ice jigs. I jig them aggresivly and usually use a vexilar flasher. I always try to work on or near a good drop off with deep water near by, drill a few strings of holes from shallow to deep and start hole hopping, if I dont hit them within say 2minutes at one hole I move to the next.

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't think there's any miracle solution. If you're staying mobile, you're ahead of the game. Get alot deeper and if that doesn't work, trying going very shallow. If you have a cam or flasher around and you're not seeing many fish, keeping moving until you find better density.. that's half the battle.

Deadsticking is that last thing I do if the walleye are slow. When they're not actively feeding you have to do a lot of twitching and jigging to trigger strikes. Bottom bounce your presentation alot and keeping it twitching more than still.. it's the only way you're going to get the attention of inactive walleye. Downsizing can work but if you're seeing fish and they're not showing much interest, go big.. you'd be surprised how often that works too.

Makes sense. When u say big....how big do u go? thx.

Wulfespirit
01-24-2010, 03:31 PM
The biggest minnow you can find on a 1/2 oz jig... the biggest rattle spoon you can find tipped with a gulp minnow....

Downsizing works usually when you're on top of walleye that seem to sit and stare for a bit then move off but there have been times when I couldn't even mark a walleye.. I gave up on them and upsized to target pike and suddenly an eye appears and inhales an aggresively fished 5 inch minnow after not getting anywhere near more compact presentations for hours prior.

Walleyes
01-24-2010, 04:22 PM
What to do when the walleye bite is slow?

Roll one :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Skinner
01-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Roll one :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

x2

jrcw
01-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Haha, x 3. Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of being able to use Gulp or something similar. It'd sure be lower maintenance, as long as it didn't come at the expense of fish. Dealing with frozen minnows can be a pain. I'm thinking of salting to help them keep longer. Does anyone use live crawlers in the winter?