PDA

View Full Version : Best defense against bears

fishstix
01-24-2010, 11:51 AM
I was fishing last year along my favorite river. As i made my way back to the parking lot i came face to face with a grizzly bear. He was big. I was only about 8 feet from him. We were both suprised. We stood there for a second looking at each other. He walked away and i managed to get a few pics. Since then i carry a few personal protection items. #1 is bear spray, #2 is a 10 inch bowie knife.
I recently read an article on bear spray vs. a gun. The article notes that bear spray is 97% effective against bears and guns are only about 50% effective. Adding to that we cant carry a hand gun in canada(legally) other than to and from the range. The report noted that out of the 79 encounters studied only 7 reported getting small amounts of spray in their own face causing minor irritation, 2 reported total incapacitation.
I fish with a fellow who carries a fillet knife and claims that if you stab a bear in the nose the bear will retreat. I say to him that if you are engaged in hand to hand combat with a bear your dead. A knife should be your last resort.
I want to know what others are using out there for protection.

Fishstix!!

TroutHunter
01-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I fish the backcountry a lot. Never go out without bearspray anytime of year.

Also picked up one of these for the spring and fall when I'm in areas where an encounter with a bear is almost certain

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28&display=feat

honda450
01-24-2010, 12:14 PM
I also carry bear spray while fly fishing. I do have a defender shot gun but just to cumbersome to carry. :wave:

nevercatchmuch
01-24-2010, 12:50 PM
I had heard bear bangers - a device that mimics the sound of a shot gun, was a better option. But then I found out you get tickets for using them in a national park ? so bought the bear spray.

mistamikel
01-24-2010, 12:53 PM
If your fishing with a buddy and you come a cross a bear...... make sure you can out run your buddy :evilgrin:

zabbo
01-24-2010, 12:59 PM
bear spray bear bangers

hope I never have to use either :wave:

oagie
01-24-2010, 01:00 PM

Also picked up one of these for the spring and fall when I'm in areas where an encounter with a bear is almost certain

What kinda price?

lifesaflyin
01-24-2010, 02:03 PM
shotgun 12 guage loaded with slugs.

yea, guns are not welcome in national parks. thats why I have not gone back to one in a looong time. being face to face with a grizzly, totally defenceless other than some pepper seasoning, hours from any medical aid is not my cup of tea.

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Bear spray for sure. Haven't had to use it yet thank god. Making a little noise from time to time seems to keep them at a distance. But if u got a bunch of fish laying around u, the bears will come...
As far as using a blade goes, I always figured if it came down to it (not that I would stand a chance:lol:), I would go for an eyeball, but that would prolly jus make em angrier:scared:
Cheers. Be safe:wave:

Whiskey Wish
01-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Your first line of defence should be ensuring you are making enough noise that any bears in the area KNOW you are there. Bear bells, whistles, talking loudly to a buddy, whistling a tune out loud, even knew one person who wore a small transistor radio on his belt. Running water interferes with your hearing and Brier Bear's hearing.
I get the whole "enjoying nature thing" but do that while you are stopped and fishing a honey hole. When you start moving you start making noise.
Your second line of defense is being aware of your surroundings. If you see fresh sign, tracks, scat, old logs peeled open with the remains of ant nests perhaps it is time to find a different fishing spot today. Stay on the same side of the creek as your fishing buddy and "leap frog" each other as you move along the creek/river. This keeps you in touch with each other, prevents someone being left behind and gives an animal a choice of flight if you stumble on them rather than feeling trapped by someone on both sides of the creek. It also allows someone to come to your aid a lot faster and easier than having to cross a creek/river. Two grown adults standing side by side waving their arms and shouting is a lot more intimidating than one person even if it is small benefit.
Your LAST line of defence is air horns, bear spray, knives or firearms.(clubs, rocks, branches, nose punches et al) Use of any of these is situational, personal choice and highly variable. Survival in these situations is going to depend on the make-up of the individual bear, your own good or bad choices and a LARGE dollop of LUCK. As as "generalization" cats are soft skinned and cowards, they can be bluffed and physically persuaded to quit and leave. Thus the stories of unarmed mothers jumping on cats attacking their children and chasing the cat away.
Knowing your sign in advance is important. Grizz tracks are larger, show 5 claws and sink deeper into soft ground. Black bear scat has berries,vegetation and in smaller piles. Grizzly bear scat is larger piles, smells like pepper spray and has bells and buttons in it. :evilgrin:
( for the flamers the foregoing paragraph was in jest okay??...stand down)
Good Luck and Good Fishing.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.

hunter49
01-24-2010, 03:13 PM

Hold on one second grizzly, while I pull my defender out of my case and load it up. :lol:

tonyflyfish
01-24-2010, 04:43 PM
bear spray and air horn.
will be going to a long blade for cats after hearing we enjoy the same terrain!
the dog is always there and hope that would be a distraction and a warning but.....................

TroutHunter
01-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Hold on one second grizzly, while I pull my defender out of my case and load it up. :lol:

Yeah , I probably should have mentioned that the first thing one should do when you purchase one of these , is to toss that giant bulky POS tube it comes with, (which may also double as a life preserver , Not sure) in the garbage. Works much better carried through the bush and strapped to ones back while fishing.

Also , I would only carry something like this for extended backcountry stays , not for an afternoon trip down to the Bow.

I also know a lot of guys that bring air horns into secluded areas and give a couple blasts when they start there hike in. Supposedly scares everything in a 20km radius off.

Gumbi
01-24-2010, 06:15 PM
375 h&h or 45-70 is what we carry around camp

SwampShark
01-24-2010, 06:24 PM
I enjoy laughing to myself everytime I come across a guy who carries a knife in case he runs into a bear. It is extremely unlikely that you will even get that knife close to an angry grizzly. Maybe it helps for morale.

Practice common sense out there. Carry bearspray as a LAST RESORT. Firearms are only necessary in areas with very high numbers of aggressive bears. I can't really think of any of these areas around here.

Better make sure its large calibre!

ice
01-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Stand your ground,
If the bear looks unphazed Use a bear banger.
If the bear persistes to come closer, use the Mace.
if in the rare occasion a bear dose get ontop of you. Use the rule of thumb,
A Good Swift Hard Smack Square in the nose with the bottom of a palm or a good kick.
The Nose is the most vital area, and a hard enough blow will make the bear retreat because it wont be able too see

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 07:22 PM
I say lob ur Catch Of The Day at em and run for the hills:lol: This is about fishing right:lol: Juss kiddin:D

ice
01-24-2010, 07:28 PM
I say lob ur Catch Of The Day at em and run for the hills:lol: This is about fishing right:lol: Juss kiddin:D

:lol: Im Sure this would be most peoples first choice, and sure it might be effective, But you should never turn your back to a bear. and most importantly, you should never run away,
Always back off slowly.
And if you ever get caught between a bear and her cubs.
Well your pre much F***** Arent Yah :p

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
:lol: Im Sure this would be most peoples first choice, and sure it might be effective, But you should never turn your back to a bear. and most importantly, you should never run away,
Always back off slowly.
And if you ever get caught between a bear and her cubs.
Well your pre much F***** Arent Yah :p

Ya i know, was joking hehe. Agreed here:wave: Black bears n grizzlies react differently as well. Many factors are involved in the situation.

Artist
01-24-2010, 07:58 PM
This will be my choice for the 2010 season...but, given even such a weapon, and, as posted in some previous posts, common sense and a good measure of caution must accompany any weapon!
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/elaryssa/Shotgun.jpg

ice
01-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Psshhtt
Go For the Fully auto 12 Gauge.

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/aa-12.JPG

Artist
01-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Uhhhh...I think those are prohibited in Canada? - ...although they would definitely be effective!
:)

ice
01-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Uhhhh...I think those are prohibited in Canada? - ...although they would definitely be effective!
:)
:innocent:

:lol: They most certainly are Prohibited in canada, Especially the AA-12.
i dont know if i would have the balls to pull the trigger on that thing even if they were. Thatd be one feirce kick

Dr. Fish
01-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Psshhtt
Go For the Fully auto 12 Gauge.

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/aa-12.JPG

Saweet!!!! I want one!!:evilgrin:

pdfish
01-24-2010, 09:14 PM
The best defense against bears is the 7 or 8 inches between you ears. If that fails, then bear spray. If that fails, hopefully you've got a blade on your belt, because given a slim to none chance against an angry grizzly, I'll take slim anyday.

jrs
01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
For grizzlies, generally i just give them a dirty look and they run away whimpering :D

deanmc
01-24-2010, 09:53 PM
I am surprised no one takes a dog with them in the forest. I take my dog with me walking in to fish and carry spray. I don't think i have ever packed my gun fishing.

lifesaflyin
01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
I am serously stunned at how many of you think a knife or spray is enough.

If any of you have acually seen a grizzly from 15 feet away with no glass inbetween you then opened its mouth and growled and then swiped the dirt with massive paws that are almost like a rototiller, you would be changing that tune to 12 guage with slugs VERY fast.

just because you got a gun also doesnt mean you have to shoot it.

trophybook
01-25-2010, 12:05 PM
i carry a 45acp withy 230gr fmj and i dont care if its illegal because it will only be used in a life or death situation and 95% of the time the judge will rule in your favor....dead rite or dead wrong....lets hear some thoughts

pikester
01-25-2010, 01:02 PM
i carry a 45acp withy 230gr fmj and i dont care if its illegal because it will only be used in a life or death situation and 95% of the time the judge will rule in your favor....dead rite or dead wrong....lets hear some thoughts

Legal issues aside I agree with you. I'd rather stand in front of a judge & risk losing my gun & get a fine than stand in front of The Creator & explain how I got in a position to be mauled to death!

Jim
01-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Buy an antique status revolver, then it is legal to carry, no ATT required.

Billyboy
01-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Legal issues aside I agree with you. I'd rather stand in front of a judge & risk losing my gun & get a fine than stand in front of The Creator & explain how I got in a position to be mauled to death!

As the saying goes, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

skidderman
01-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Ha, Ha; If I ran into a Griz at 15 yards it wouldn't matter what I had because I would be dead from heart attack. Guys with knives, good luck because you are outnumbered obout 1000 to 1. In addition bear attacks are often surprize or ambush attacks so you won't have time to see it coming. I agree with those that advise being aware of your suroundings and especially about two people together. I would want to have a short barreled 12 guage and even then don't know if I would have the nerve to hit the intended target. All joking aside, bears don't joke around, be careful and prepared in bear country. If you are not sure find a safer place to go.

Grizzly Adams
01-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Stand your ground,
If the bear looks unphazed Use a bear banger.
If the bear persistes to come closer, use the Mace.
if in the rare occasion a bear dose get ontop of you. Use the rule of thumb,
A Good Swift Hard Smack Square in the nose with the bottom of a palm or a good kick.
The Nose is the most vital area, and a hard enough blow will make the bear retreat because it wont be able too see

I really admire your steadfast attitude. But then, my dad went bear hunting with a German guy, who carried nothing but a baseball bat.:lol:
Grizz

ice
01-25-2010, 04:02 PM
I really admire your steadfast attitude. But then, my dad went bear hunting with a German guy, who carried nothing but a baseball bat.:lol:
Grizz

lol. :p
Im guessing tho that if i had a bear charging at me. i wouldnt be thinking of any of that. it'd probobly be more of, F**** im done for. and just sit there helplessly, lol. i dont bring anything and im never prepared in bear country, but i usually have a quad or somthing nearby. but like thatll help any. lol.
iv always been a firm beliver that aslong as you make enough noise when your out there so it knows your coming, Itll probobly just go off in the other direction.
i Could be fooling myself. but who knows. most of the time wherever i go its usually illegal to have a firearm. cuz im usually in prov parks.

And i wouldnt mind having a ****ed off german with a lousiana slugger by my side:lol:

the local angler
01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
i have also unfortunately had my bear encounter and got real lucky. i was at work doing road duty and was standing on the side of a gravel road and all i had was a folding chair and a stop sign with trees in the back ground behind me. one of our shuttles drove by and a buddy jumped out and whistled at me and i thought he was just saying hi until he pointed behind me. i turn to see a mama and her two cubs sneaking up behind me. she was about 60 feet away maybe more. i did not hear a thing and was stunned at how quiet they were. i could have had a machine gun with me and couldn't do anything because of the sight of the huge mama black bear behind me i just froze and all i hear is coworkers screaming over the radio to not run because i was ready to bolt. then trucks came racing in in all directions and scared it off. so the next day i bought a can of the bear spray (shoots in a straight stream) and a can (of the one that shoots in a stream and then ends up in a cloud) a kit of the bear bangers and flairs. now when ever go anywhere i carry all of that, a huge knife and a med sized axe. i hope i don't ever have to use it but who knows. someone told me to becareful with the bangers because there has been stories of people firing off bangers in the wrong direction and end up scaring the bear and running towards them instead of away from them. guys at the sports store tell me that for black bears ussually are more scared of you then you are of them, i am not sure of how true this is.

lifesaflyin
01-25-2010, 05:47 PM

you better go buy a shotgun instead. 45 is not a great round for taking down a bear. second if you are caught with it out there. you lose all your firearms probly for life,charges will be pending and probable jail time is not unheard of.

put a full stock on this and its non restricted.
http://www.blueline-activities.com/shop/images/P1010443%20-%20Copy.JPG

trophybook
01-25-2010, 06:00 PM
yeah but even with a full stock it would be resticted....over all lenght is still to short...that mag has been choped and the the ring on the barrel has been moved back too..have my 870 beside me 4 comparison. but thanks for ur concern

lifesaflyin
01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
yeah but even with a full stock it would be resticted....over all lenght is still to short...that mag has been choped and the the ring on the barrel has been moved back too..have my 870 beside me 4 comparison. but thanks for ur concern

as long as its over 26 inches with a full stock your good to go. trust me on this.

if you dont belive me go debate it on canadaingunnutz.com. they will all tell ya the same thing.

Billyboy
01-26-2010, 12:17 PM
How many does that hold? Looks like 2!:scared:

AlbertaAngler
01-26-2010, 12:46 PM
as long as its over 26 inches with a full stock your good to go. trust me on this.

if you dont belive me go debate it on canadaingunnutz.com. they will all tell ya the same thing.

Barrell has to be at least 18.5 inches as well

Nikanit
01-26-2010, 01:55 PM
http://nikanit.com/images/bearsign.jpg

:lol::lol:

lifesaflyin
01-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Barrell has to be at least 18.5 inches as well

not on a shotgun. rifled barrels need to be 18.5 to remain non restricted. as long as it was manufactured that short and not sawed off its legal as long as its over 26".
you can also get an 8 inch barrel with full stock and hold 4 rounds. all you need.

The Fisherman Guy
01-26-2010, 04:45 PM
What kinda price?

I picked up the same gun, without the case and JIC title, at Wholesale Sports for 319.99. Included a regular shoulder stock and a pistol grip. Pretty fun little gun, has yet to jam on me, or anyone else.
I carry it when we head into bear country. Tape up the end of the barrel with electrical tape and I only use rifled slugs (after reading an article by T.J. in the Oct 2009 issue of AO, on how buckshot is not as effective at close range on the animal the size of a bear) I have run slugs ever since. Heckofa buy for that gun if you ask me. I am sure those guys in Canal Flats would've preferred a slug shotgun that night they were attacked, to bear spray or the malfunction of the bolt action (by the operator). They did get away with their lives, after being bitten and never once used bear spray or fired a shot...

Who's to say what is the most morally acceptable defense against bears?

What you feel safe using, once you have done your homework on bears and bear attacks on humans, as well as how much time you intend on spending in bear country.

ice
01-26-2010, 07:06 PM
http://nikanit.com/images/bearsign.jpg

:lol::lol:

Jingle Jingle,
Dinner Is Served! :lol:

dezmo
01-27-2010, 10:03 AM
a very big gun...:tongue2:

allenford
01-27-2010, 10:17 AM
take a partner who runs slower than you while fishing or hunting.:)