PDA

View Full Version : fish eggs

fishunter
01-24-2010, 07:17 PM
i love eating them, just as good as the fish it self. is it just me or does anyone eat them. if so , how do you guys cook them. i just fry them up with cooking oil, same as the fish

Mike_W
01-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Your on your own on this one they forsure dont equal the fish in my books.
While on the coast there was a guy that loved the sperm sacks from male salmon said they cooked up really delicate.
Not my cup of tea.

ice
01-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Personally i dont, But iv seen a few guys gut and eat the eggs on the spot without cooking. how ever fish liver, And Walleye Cheeks, MmmM

fishunter
01-24-2010, 07:44 PM
i have heard of them refered to as rowe . nice elk man

fishunter
01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
never had fish liver , but i will try

bunnyhunter
01-24-2010, 09:32 PM
I've eaten some, depends on the fish. my 7 year old loves perch eggs fried up with the fillets go figure~!it was the first time I was trying them and he ate the whole plateful...mind you he eats sushi :)

burbot liver is popular in Scandinavia, but I find it too rich, its really fatty.

less waste lol

I wonder if burbot would go for a perch egg sac as bait?

Morph1
01-24-2010, 10:19 PM
funny, I just tried them fried for the first time last weekend,
the perch ones were not too bad, but I stopped after the first sack , however the ones from the pike almost made me puke !!!!
I think raw would be great with spices and lemon maybe some wasabi sauce,
but fried were just plain gross....

tchow
01-24-2010, 11:07 PM
i love eating them, just as good as the fish it self. is it just me or does anyone eat them. if so , how do you guys cook them. i just fry them up with cooking oil, same as the fish

I'm in the same boat as you Fish hunter, so you're not alone. Its just different strokes for different folks.

You can also cook them steamed up....

Place into as pan and top with some in a jar Black Bean w/Garlic sauce. Pending on your taste buds for the amount. Myself, I sparingly place on as it is very strong tasting and salty. Slice up a piece of Ginger and place it on top of the Skeins. You can add in abit of Soya Sauce for more flavoring. Add a bit of water.
Place into a Steamer for about 1/2 or so. You can check by slicing to see if it is cooked. Cut up some Green Onions for a Garnish and place on top. Heat up some Oil(very hot) and pour over Eggs and be careful as hot oil will splash up with the water in the dish. Oil is used to sear in the flavor....
Hot sauce can be used instead of Black Bean Sauce.
Same recipe can be used for cooking up Walleye. Now that's when it really gets tasty !!

rxxxm22
01-25-2010, 05:57 AM
hey that sounds like it's worth a try .........thanks !

ron xxx mar

riderpride55
01-25-2010, 07:56 AM
when we go for sushi, I love to have the smelt roe. I have tried pike roe, its not bad. I brine them up, and eat raw. the eggs are looking good now. I think next time I go out I will keep some.

DarkAisling
01-25-2010, 09:48 AM
I have a Russion co-worker who sometimes brings salmon caviar in for a breakfast treat (with bagels and cream cheese). I think it comes from some Russian deli here in town. It is delish :) They're really supple, and the flavour just explodes in your mouth. The only downside is that the egg skin/sac (whatever it is) will stick to your teeth, and it is kind of hard to get off.

I'm not a fan of the Japaneses style roe. I find it really rubbery.

I haven't learned how to prepare eggs/roe/caviar myself. I think I'll leave it to those eastern experts :)

slingshotz
01-25-2010, 01:34 PM
when we go for sushi, I love to have the smelt roe. I have tried pike roe, its not bad. I brine them up, and eat raw. the eggs are looking good now. I think next time I go out I will keep some.

Can you tell me how you brine them up? I've looked for recipes and there's not many around and most of them are for other types of roe.