PDA

View Full Version : Noise on Ice?

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Was wondering what u all think about making noise above the fishies and if it effects the bite. Tromping around and such, drilling holes, sliding haha. But seriously, is it best just to stand or sit there? I like to move around a bit personally. Obviously I'm talkin no shack. Not sure if there is a thread about this already, if so, sorry.
Cheers n thanx ahead.

ice
01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
I Could see drilling alot of holes in one area, Would move this fish temporarily, But they would come back.
Walking around would probobly have little to no effect.
iv had people and kids and such running around my tent, as i Gaze down the hole and see that nasty old jack sitting and stareing at my bait.

fishunter
01-24-2010, 07:38 PM
i think it don't matter. i have my quad running from time to time and still catch them

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Ya thats kinda what I was thinking. A buddy likes to slide around alot....which is also why he misses alot of hits:lol: I am just a roamer...

Elliot Moose
01-24-2010, 07:55 PM
When we fished Walleyes in Northern Ontario (waaaaayyyy north), and the fishing got a bit slow, the best thing seemed to be to start up the skidoo and take a quick burn down the lake or up on shore--it often resulted in fish about the time you were 100yds away. The only problem was fighting over who had to go and who got to stay to reel in the fish!

Buck Krazy
01-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Lotsa times while pike fishing it slows down, decide to drill holes and get bites while drilling. Early clear ice, especially for trout, be as still and quiet as possible! I am sure Duster and Mish can vouch for this..

dodger
01-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Lotsa times while pike fishing it slows down, decide to drill holes and get bites while drilling. Early clear ice, especially for trout, be as still and quiet as possible! I am sure Duster and Mish can vouch for this..

X2.
I have had lots of times where I drilled a hole cleaned it out and as I'm lowering the Smelt a Pike nails it.
Dodger.

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Hmm interesting. Yes, I spose different species all do not react the same, good points. I'm gonna keep on roaming around then, and missing the odd bite:lol:. And I will let my sliding pal do his thing haha.

Wulfespirit
01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Ice thickness and depth of water is a factor. The shallower you are, the more likely you are to spook fish when drililng/driving or running the vehicle. Panfish tend to spook more readily than big predators.

Dr. Fish
01-24-2010, 08:56 PM
A little bit a noise generally doesnt hurt anything but lots of noise seems to kill it IMHO. Thats why its a good idea to stay away from the ice shanty villages.

AxeMan
01-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Interesting to hear everyones input on this. My experience has been I have good luck fishing a hole I just finished drilling then it slows down. I drill a fresh hole 10 -20 feet away and same thing. I have noticed this in deeper water (10-20 feet) for pike and walleye. Sometimes I wonder if the noise/vibration actually attracts them.

Wulfespirit
01-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Example from yesterday... fishing very shallow <5 feet of water.. had a good steady bite all day.. except.. when an old couple pulls up in a 3/4 ton diesel .. parks 15 feet from my popup and leaves it running for an hour.

The bite stopped right there for about 30 mins.. then gradually picked up.

bobalong
01-24-2010, 09:43 PM
When fishing with a camera I have noticed that the two biggest things that will scare fish away is slamming a truck door and dropping the tailgate. Walking and drilling holes did not seem to have much effect, this was in
14-16 feet of water.

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 09:49 PM
I could see drilling actually attracting the fish the more I think about it. Might spark some curious fishies down there to come see what's up? As far as general movement and such goes, I can't really see it scaring them away.
Thanx for all the input!

Fishfinder
01-24-2010, 09:50 PM
When fishing with a camera I have noticed that the two biggest things that will scare fish away is slamming a truck door and dropping the tailgate. Walking and drilling holes did not seem to have much effect, this was in
14-16 feet of water.

yes i wish i had a camera, i would do some experimenting for sure!

Dr.D
01-25-2010, 05:25 PM
I have found with big pike the less noise the better but it does depend on snow cover ice thickness and water depth but some times if thing are slow and you want to get smaller fish make some noise via auger sled or quad and thing should pickup. For me iam set up before light and just sit and watch the cam but every one has a theory try some different things and you will see a pattern form :wave:

pecker
01-25-2010, 06:40 PM
)when we fished walleyes in northern ontario (waaaaayyyy north), and the fishing got a bit slow, the best thing seemed to be to start up the skidoo and take a quick burn down the lake or up on shore--it often resulted in fish about the time you were 100yds away. The only problem was fighting over who had to go and who got to stay to reel in the fish!

;)

cracker488
01-27-2010, 03:29 AM
Had an older fella show us a trick at Slave once. In 12 feet of water he would bang a large Len Thompson off the bottom of the ice 5 or 6 times then let it flutter down and have it hammered by big pike at about the 6 ft mark.