PDA

View Full Version : Bait hook question

J-C
01-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Is it legal to use a bait hook with barbs on the shaft if you're using it to keep bait on? Just wondering. thanks:wave:

fluxcore
01-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Is it legal to use a bait hook with barbs on the shaft if you're using it to keep bait on? Just wondering. thanks:wave:

NO, all barbs must be removed

bushnell
01-25-2010, 09:47 PM
My understanding is that ALL barbs must be removed from the hook.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-25-2010, 09:49 PM

See this is where I tend to wonder , Because I know of many who use Bait holder hooks with 2 small barbs on the top shank of the hook , to which in the regulations says nothing about those barbs Except for the main one after the Tip of the hook . So Id say they would be Legal to use . Ive been right beside people when in use and , checked by fish and wildlife and never Questioned about the hook . But you better look into it by Contacting Fish and Wildlife for you own sake.

J-C
01-25-2010, 09:51 PM
thanks i'll just have to reel the fish in and take the bait back out of its mouth!

J-C
01-25-2010, 09:53 PM
See this is where I tend to wonder , Because I know of many who use Bait holder hooks with 2 small barbs on the top shank of the hook , to which in the regulations says nothing about those barbs Except for the main one after the Tip of the hook . So Id say they would be Legal to use . Ive been right beside people when in use and , checked by fish and wildlife and never Questioned about the hook . But you better look into it by Contacting Fish and Wildlife for you own sake.

Thanks BBJ i'll contact them tomorrow. they should probably put this in the regs IMO as it seems like a grey area.

buckmaster
01-25-2010, 10:10 PM

I fish with these hooks and have been checked by F&W many times and never got questioned about the barbs on the shanks.

J-C
01-25-2010, 10:20 PM
thats kind of what i thought because your just keeping the bait on.

RedFisher
01-25-2010, 10:37 PM
lol...funny funny.. i asked a fish cop about this a couple weeks back..he said as long as it "the barb'' does not interfier with the catching of the fish..aka not allowing the fish to get off the hook it is legal...

Crusty
01-26-2010, 08:43 AM
They are legal. Crazy thing is though, bait holders are legal (on shank), yet there's some rule of thumb which is apparently being used about the 4lb. test, test. for the main barb. Which I say doesn't hold water or ice, depending on the time of year, in court.