PDA

View Full Version : Eagle lake! What a surprise!

elkhunter69
01-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Well after years of fishing all the popular lakes in the area and always wondering about Eagle lake i finally decided to give it a shot.

I was surprised at how good we actually did! We went S of the Campground towards the tracks and in no time were on fish. Ended up releasing 13 pike from 23-41" the 41" fish was a bit slim but still in great shape. We then used a fish finder to locate a drop off and got into some walleye!

Unfortunatly my buddy had an issue at home and after 4 hours we had to pack up and head back home. We will be back!

How is everyone else doing out there? We met an old ranch hand out there who had mentioned he always gets into great fishing.

What do you all think of the lake?

Kingfisher
01-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Honestly, I don't fish Eagle because the feed lots that are just up hill from there. What seeps downhill and into the lake? I don't know either. That's why I don't fish there. But what the heck. If your only doing C/R then a fish is a fish. Sounds like you had a good couple of hours of action.

Rob

BowhuntAB
01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah. I hear its full o' pooh as well. Then again i only catch and release so sound good to me! Thanks for the tip!

elkhunter69
01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
It very well may be full off "pooh" but who cares! The fishing is great! Plus unlike the rest of the lakes there isnt 100 other guys running all over the place! I don't fish to eat the fish i fish for the fun of it!

Bottom line for me is this:
1) Its close to home
2) Zero crowds
3) Caught more fish in 4 hours then you do in most lakes in 3 days.
4) There is a mix of fish
5) ITS FUN AS HELL!!!

I take it nobody else goes there?

marlin1
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
have fished it a couple times years ago , never had much luck though. I have heard there is lots for them to eat there and the walleye are hard to catch . Used to be down by the old railroad bridge was a good spot

BowhuntAB
01-27-2010, 10:55 AM
have fished it a couple times years ago , never had much luck though. I have heard there is lots for them to eat there and the walleye are hard to catch . Used to be down by the old railroad bridge was a good spot

Thats on the Southside correct? Thats where i tried as well. Been years now. I was surprised to see how plentiful the shrimp were in that lake but the Walleye eat a jig tipped with a minnow ok. The pike hit larger smelts and herring pretty good as well nothing big though.

marlin1
01-27-2010, 12:04 PM
yep south end

natedawg
01-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Im with you on that! What is the best way to drive on to Eagle. I was out there the other day and drove around it but didn't see any access roads. I saw the campground but noticed the gate was fenced off. Would love to get into some great pike fishing so close to home!

madatter
01-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Im with you on that! What is the best way to drive on to Eagle. I was out there the other day and drove around it but didn't see any access roads. I saw the campground but noticed the gate was fenced off. Would love to get into some great pike fishing so close to home!

Wondering that myself.
I'm driving between Med Hat and Calgary all the time and would like to give Eagle a shot....

CountryRoadz
01-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Kennedy (In a previous thread) referred to the mercury in Alberta fish however he didnt seem to mind the Pooh Pooh in Eagle Lake. Maybe thats because he is full of it.

Congrats on the fish. If you are not releasing them cook em longer than normal and use extra salt and spices.

CR

ericlin0122
01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
so u went from camp ground all the way south to the railway track?
one dumb question, is it safe to drive on the lake ?

Commander B
01-27-2010, 09:11 PM
:sick::sick:Wondering that myself.
I'm driving between Med Hat and Calgary all the time and would like to give Eagle a shot....

The best acess is from the road that runs past eagle lake nursery on the west side of the lake(first turn south heading east from strathmore) at the blue house. There is also 4X4 suitable acess on the south closer to the abandoned rail bank but it can be super rough. I agree even the shack can smell like there should be flies circling the poo :sick: once u open the holes, but the C&R fishing can be very good. I think this lake is best at first ice out untill the green goo is to prolific. This lake is very wader friendly if u fly fish as u can walk the 50 meters out to the drop off where it drops from 3 feet to 14

fishking
01-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks for sharing your wonderful day at eagle! Now everbody and their dog can go there and rape and over fish it once again. Eagle was really starting to come back because the pressure hasnt been bad over the last few years. What is wrong with keeping good spots to yourself. Thats the problem with this forum,people talk to much and they dont understand that when word gets out, lakes suffer bad. thanks.

CountryRoadz
01-27-2010, 09:45 PM
The last thing that is going to happen is Eagle Lake being over fished. I have no interest in pulling up a Terd Trout.

That being said what makes this forum is the sharing of ideas and information and the comraderie and friendships people have made. There are alot of lakes talked about on this forum and in the event a lake were to be over fished there are hundreds more that are not.

We are talking about fishing here. Its not a matter of life and death.

IMHO

CR

d bowhunter
01-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for sharing your fun at eagle, if it wasnt for guys like you alot of us would be fishing the same old spots. I have got so much info from this site for free its great, thanks alot elk hunter keep up the good work

madatter
01-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks for sharing your wonderful day at eagle! Now everbody and their dog can go there and rape and over fish it once again. Eagle was really starting to come back because the pressure hasnt been bad over the last few years. What is wrong with keeping good spots to yourself. Thats the problem with this forum,people talk to much and they dont understand that when word gets out, lakes suffer bad. thanks.

I don't plan on eatin any of em and I will probably end up givin a bunch of free meals so don't worry about the fishery..... I'm sure won't be bad off because of me.....
Dude is'nt sharing this info what this forum is about?:rolleyes:

marlin1
01-28-2010, 06:27 AM

oh and by the way chesterslough is full of pike too , guess we will not get many tips from the fishking thanks for sharing

rustynailz
01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Thread about a lake where the fishing is good = probably a good lake
Thread about a lake where the fishing is good + some goof whining about it being exposed on the internet = DEFINITELY a good lake :D

CountryRoadz
01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Thread about a lake where the fishing is good = probably a good lake
Thread about a lake where the fishing is good + some goof whining about it being exposed on the internet = DEFINITELY a good lake :D

I love it :lol::lol::lol:;):D

The Fisherman Guy
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
:wave::lol::lol:

aulrich
01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
:)

Feeling the need to try the place out this weekend

CountryRoadz
01-28-2010, 01:39 PM
:)

Feeling the need to try the place out this weekend

Ya might want to take a plumbing snake and some drano in case your holes get plugged. ;)

Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck.

CR

elkhunter69
01-28-2010, 03:51 PM

:lol: Over fish Eagle? How do you over fish and rape a lake that has feedlots around it? The fish are not good to eat out of this lake so fat chance of that happening! You maybe the only person smart enough to eat these fish, witch would explain alot! :lol:

On another note, its funny when i looked at your past posts you ask everyone else for advise on here and get all worked up when someone shares a good local spot? What about your posts asking about, PCR, Crawling valley, Macgregor? Are they good? How do i get there? Hope the replys you got where helpful! :rolleye2: Maybe you should stay off this site? You seem to know everything already! For the rest of us the sharing helps us all enjoy and get through the winter!

dodger
01-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Ya might want to take a plumbing snake and some drano in case your holes get plugged. ;)

Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck.

CR

Now I have to go and clean the screen and key's on my laptop. THANKS!!
Dodger.

fishking
01-28-2010, 06:02 PM
I love getting you guys worked up

trainerdave
01-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Be extremely careful when driving the south end of the lake.The ice near the old train trestle is dangerously thin at all times due to water movement. Bring a long rope and a lifejacket when fishing there and toilet paper to wipe your buddys off with after you pull them out:sick::D

elkhunter69
01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I love getting you guys worked up

Who's worked up???:huh:

I'm just glad you are able to find out about places to fish and maybe learn how to catch a few fish while your at it! Thats what this site is for. :)

Be sure to check back often! You may learn a thing or two on this site!

Have a great day and good luck out at Eagle this weekend. It you need directions let me know! :wave:

BowhuntAB
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tip! We went out on the weekend and had a great time!

The Fish King
02-01-2010, 12:33 PM
I might have to mosey up that way myself one of these weekends...Sounds like a blast!

elkhunter69
02-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I might have to mosey up that way myself one of these weekends...Sounds like a blast!

It is!!! Good luck!