PDA

View Full Version : Salt water Taxidermy

devo11
01-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Does anyone know of a good salt water taxidermy shop in alberta? Thanks!!

Chet
01-26-2010, 11:09 AM
I would check in to getting Advanced Taxidermy out of Ontario to do a replica of any salt water fish you would like to have done. I was checking out their work at the SCI show in Reno last weekend and it is very impressive. You send the photo and measurements and they ship it to your door.

Here is their website: http://www.advancedtaxidermy.com/

I have never had anything done with them but if I ever land a 100 lb Tarpon with my fly rod they will be the first call I make after my plane touches down.

Tides and Tales
01-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I have had a couple of clients use Ganders Taxidermy in Vancouver. Yet to hear a complaint!
cheers,
MK
http://www.ganderstaxidermy.com/

Team Beef
01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Have been recommended to use Salt Water Taxidermy out of Texas. You can find his site, google salt watertaxidermy.com
Good work and good prices.

Tofinofish
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
I know that Anglers Taxidermy on Vancouver Island in Nanaimo would be a good option and very fair pricing. http://www.anglerstaxidermy.com
He does a lot of Pike, Walleye and Trout for the Alberta/Sask market as well.
I've attached a 35+ Chinook Salmon that is hanging in my new shop, done by Anglers in Nanaimo.
He has also re-done our 54 lb Chinook Replica that hangs outside my shop, with airbrush details that are pretty impressive. He will do foam core replicas or true skin mounts like most of his Jacks and Walleye.

Hope this helps.

Jamie
01-26-2010, 11:55 PM
GANDERS TAXIDERMY???

YUCK!!!
In my experience they dint care what size of fish you caught.
This is what he said
"Just tell us what size of fish you want and we will ship it in the AM."
Advance on the other hand, They did a mold of the exact fish, all the scales were painted by hand and they took great care in what they delivered.
I guess if you think taking your wife out for a nice dinner includes heading to Wendy's.. Well then call Ganders.

Advance Taxidermy is the only choice. And trust me, I looked at everyone!

devo11
01-27-2010, 02:33 PM
thanks for the info everyone, appears its about $20 or so an inch, advanced looks pretty good. Not sure if $20 is a good price or not, never had a fish done just deer mounts. Still on the fence to get one done due to costs to get it....

oagie
01-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I am just getting into this buisness myself. I plan on being able to take clients next year. So unfortunately I won't throw my hat in the ring.

As for all the reading that I have been doing expect to pay about $20 per inch. Most guys charge about $35 if you want both sides. There is some incredible talent out there. If you are interested in some work stateside then let me know. I can refer you to a some great painters. Advance does great work. I don;t know about Ganders. There is Mr. Fish in Winnipeg, but I don't know what his work is like. I think hes old school taxidermist.

BTW. What are you getting done?

devo11
01-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Hey oagie, I'm considering getting a barricuda done that I recently caught.. I spoke with advance and If I do decide to shell out $800 plus I'll probably go with them. Thanks for the info and good luck to you getting into that business !

oagie
01-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Post some pictures when you get it back...