PDA

View Full Version : grassy lake

sportster
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
anyone been to grassy lately. just wondering about ice conditions, accessability and how its fishing

npauls
01-26-2010, 05:36 PM
we were there all day sunday and the west end road drifted in on us. We ended up digging out and driving the whole lake to the boat launch. The ice is plenty thick enough. I would say around 18" or so and the fishing is pretty slow. We did see alot of fish but mostly lookers with a couple takers in each species.

Nate

madatter
01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Maybe Grassy is getting hit too hard cause fishing sure seems to be fading the last couple of years......I'd say it was me but seems I'm not the only one who has found it to be slow.
5 to 10 years ago you could go out there and not see a soul,now its busy as a beehive:scared:

jrs
01-26-2010, 05:50 PM
"Maybe Grassy is getting hit too hard cause fishing sure seems to be fading the last couple of years......I'd say it was me but seems I'm not the only one who has found it to be slow.
5 to 10 years ago you could go out there and not see a soul,now its busy as a beehive"

Yup, nothing like it was a few years ago. Used to be 5 groups was a busy day during the winter. I went out over Christmas and there were at least 30 trucks on there. I couldn't believe how many guys are driving all the way from Calgary and places like the Crowsnest Pass to fish it. Used to be too far of a drive for most guys, not any more. I think fish numbers are similar but there are fewer good size fish, and the perch are far smaller, but i would not say if that's due to fishing for sure or just a "natural cycle". Lots of guys catching perch out of really deep water though, there are spots where 100's of perch are dead stuck to the bottom of the ice (air bladders making them float).

huntsfurfish
01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Too bad that they fish for deep water perch. Fishing pressure and releasing "dead fish" will take its toll on Grassy as well. Used to be a great lake for walleye and perch.