PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Fishing

dennisb
01-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Looking for some input...Im looking at going to VCI for 7-10 days at the begining of August, and am looking for a lodge of sorts for 4 people(wife and 2 kids). Ive got my own boat so a place with a dock & fish cleaning station on site would be awsome. I'm not very Ocean experienced so a place that has good fishing with out having to go way off shore would be ideal. I've got a loaded 18.5" lund so I feel pretty safe.
I have been surfing the net and have found a few places that look pretty neat, however I'm looking for some other ideas/places???
Im in Calgary so once i get to Nainamo, a few hours drive from there, inless there's a ferry that goes north of Nainamo???

AthaB282
01-26-2010, 02:23 PM
depends how far north your looking at, a ferry from port hardy goes to prince rupert, with stops along the way, good fishing is sooke just off victoria with cod and Halibut, Or Campbell river, Port alberni has some awesome fishing. By august most the Chinook salmon have headed up the rivers, there will be some left, coho starts to pick up, there is Pink salmon and coho fishing off campbell river some big Springs (chinook) check the regs the river estuaries are a good place to try.chech with Island Outfitters ltd, they have a good website that posts hotspots all over the island, they will be able to hook you up with the information you need

dennisb
01-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks AthaB282 , Barkley Sound is where I'm looking at from Port Alberni to Bamfield. August looks like it a perfect time of go fishing wise. mostly interested in some cabin like accomodations with a dock in the back yard sort a speak...

jjstar
01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Bamfield is a lot of fun, you can also go to Ucluelet which is south of Tofino There are several places to stay there and some awesome fishing that time of year. You can also go to Port Renfrew which is past sooke about an hour depending on the weather. If you are going to either of these spots PM and I can get more specific. Both spots have protected bays / areas to put the boat in. I think Ucluelet has more to offer the family though!

drake
01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
go north!!!!.....the 4 hours to Port Hardy are worth it!!!!

dss44
01-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Hardy would be a good choice, but with an 18fter you will not be able to run to the more profitable grounds, still great fishing in the area though!!! This past year Castle Rock was actually great!!! THe runs were so good that the amount of CHinook caught in area 12 this year was 20x the amount that was caught in 2008. If you do decide Port Hardy, let me know and I will try and help you out and steer you in the right direction :)

dss44
01-26-2010, 06:20 PM
An addition to that is August is not when most of the Chinook has gone up the rivers on Vancouver Island...August is primetime actually. From mid June to end of August you will get the best Chinook fishing...with july, and august being the best. Plus bigger fish are usually around in August.

dennisb
01-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the replys everyone, I've got quite a few PM's with alot of suggestions...thanks to everyone. I hope to keep this thread going and pick everybody brain on equipment needed. Downriggers, rods,reels,tackle etc. I hope to make this a yearly event ( salmon fishing) with hopes of some retirement potential.
I do have alot of experience fishing Very large body's of water, includung the west coast but its always been with someone elses boat and equipment.