PDA

View Full Version : Tobin lake

Remi3006
01-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Have a trip planned there in early June... Anyone been there? Would love any feedback.
Cheers!

tchow
01-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Was at Nipawan a couple of years ago and loved it. Launched at Twin Marine. Fully equipted with Tackle and Bait store. Personnel friendly and helpful if you need some info on what and where.
Campground is nice and comes even with a stocked pond of Bows for the kids.
They have maps to give out and marked off areas to avoid.
Almost everyone was either running Bouncers or Jigging with the current. This is the link:
http://www.tobinlake.net/
Have fun ! I know I'll be back there again:evilgrin:

Teamprotz
01-27-2010, 01:26 AM
You have several options. The Nipawin regional park , and fish the river. Usually lots of fish in June but on the smaller side. There are two main resorts on the lake. On the north side is Pruden's point. Camping and cabins available and easy access to great walleye and pike. Across the lake is Tobin lake resort and Silvertip outfitters. Both offer cabins etc, right at the village of Tobin lake. Walleyes in the lake , DEPENDING on water flow , are alot of fun , and good size ! If the water is high and dirty , stay home !

ceedub
01-27-2010, 05:30 AM
I've been there 6 or 7 times, fishing can be fantastic! We usually stay at Tobin Lake resort, and put the boat in the marina there. Early to mid June is best, but like a previous poster suggested, it's tough fishing (althought not impossible) if the water is high and dirty.

There are some tremendous Walleye/Sauger in Tobin, however, the average size is fairly small. Typically, you'll catch ten or twelve little guys for every one big enough for the pan, a few slot sized fish per day and one or two real pigs per trip. My biggest Walleye there was 84 cm long and weighed a little over 12 lbs, but I've seen bigger landed in other boats. We also landed a 64 cm Sauger last year which is the largest I've seen there. A real bonus is the perch fishing, it can be unbelievable! We usually eat perch the whole time we're there keeping only a few Walleyes to bring home.

There are also opportunities for giant Pike, and although we don't target them we manage to latch on to a few every trip.

Lots of snags in Tobin, bring an extra anchor as I've lost a couple there already. Most people anchor and jig over the side of the boat with green/yellow jigheads topped with leeches. Good luck!

Craig

MDG
01-27-2010, 01:24 PM
I go every year and the fishing can be phenomenal! I've been there many times the first week in June and have always caught plenty of walleye. However, I do not seem to catch any big ones that time of year. Last August I went for 5 days and could not believe what happened. We had a difficult time catching a small fish! Countless walleye 6-10 lbs and a few 12-15 pounders. One that went over the slot at 35"(don't worry,released fish). One of the best trips I've ever had. Rented a cabin from Silvertip Outfitting. Prices are very reasonable. Tobin Lake resort also has nice cabins. We caught fish in both the lake and the river. They also have HUGE pike. The fall is usually really good for big fish.

CEEDUB, I love to fish for perch but have only caught a couple in Tobin. Not trying to steal your spots but would sure love any tips on where I could fish for them there.Thanks.

bucksandbulls
01-27-2010, 06:28 PM
we went last year first week end in june and it was unbelievable fishing!!! we caught 14 walleyes in 2 days from 9 to 11 lbs with lots of slot size eaters as well. buddy of mine also caught a 61" sturgeon on a bottom bouncer with 10 lb fireline. very good weekend with 4 good friends having a blast. silvertip is a good place to stay and the people are great. try to post pictures of fish.

TJG
01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/terry01/fishing-tobin.jpg

Castincowboy
01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
We were there last June for the first time... but not the last!

We stayed at the Tobin Lake Lodge and this year we will likely give Twin Lake Marine a try. They can set you up with a cabin or hotel room as well as take care of your boating needs.

We fished three days.
Day one: was good fishing but, we were trying to figure out what the heck we were doin' and where we wanted to do it.
Day two: was the best fishing of our lives. We had approx. 150 fish between two of us. (of course released). We had 11 double headers in one day.
Day three: was shaping up to be good until we noticed everyone else had left the water for some reason. Then we looked up and saw the wall of grey coming at us. We were chased off the lake by a HUGE storm that last the rest of the day.

It's an incredible fishery and promises a great time for all. Long trip but, worth it. We're goin' back this June too. See ya there...:evilgrin:

Remi3006
01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys!