PDA

View Full Version : Siebert Lake and long weekend report

SNAPFisher
08-06-2007, 07:33 PM
I took of Friday to make it an extended long weekend. I took a friend to Siebert Lake who has never fished there before. He loves to catch pike more than any other fish.....seems like the place to try!

We got to the lake around 8:30 a.m. The lake was very quiet both weather and angler-wise. The road it was not too bad. Looks like the drier weather has helped out. There must have been one wicked storm earlier though as many of the large trees at the campground were down and being cut up. Some as wide as 3 feet. That would be a frightening storm to be in......

I fished perch plugs exclusively and managed many nice walleye. One at 54cm I kept for dinner. What an absolute fatty! The fillets ended up over an inch thick and absolutely mouth watering in a breaded beer batter.....oh man! I also caught many small walleye, well under a pound, which is also a good thing to see for the future.

Pike were scarce until my buddy James put on a 12 inch plug and we moved out deeper. A large pike slammed the plug and the fight was on. After a great battle we weighed the pike which came to 12 lbs. A quick pic and we released the pike.

We continued on with a great walleye fishing day from there. At 4:30 p.m. we decided to go and I began to reel in. No sooner did I start reeling that I picked up a fish. It felt heavy. 5 minutes in and numerous runs I knew I had a big pike on. After a while I managed to coax it into the craddle net and weighed the pike which came to 14 lbs. A nice fat specimen. After some quick pics I released the pike. An excellent day at Siebert!!

The rest of the weekend was my anniversary so I did lots of non-fishing stuff. Still managed to sneak out to Garner lake though this morning and catch some great pike and walleye including a 6 lb walleye. Sorry, no cam for this one.

Here are some pics:

The wife managed to actually get a pic of a humming bird at the feeder. They are almost too fast to get a good photo of, almost...
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/CabinAugLong002.jpg

Beauty 54cm walleye. Delicious!
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/CabinAugLong012.jpg

James and a nice 12 lber.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/CabinAugLong014.jpg

Couple pics of the last fish of the day. Can it end any better?
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/CabinAugLong006.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/CabinAugLong010.jpg

Cheers!

sheephunter
08-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Looks like a fun trip...one lake I've never fished but by the looks of your pics I better! Thanks for sharin'!

Walleyes
08-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Nice fish snap,,,, good to here the road is in not to bad of shape... Well not really the worse it is the better,,, keeps the summer fisherman out and leaves better ice fishing...

SNAPFisher
08-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys!

Walleyes, I hear you on that front. It did rain off and on up there this weekend and the road is going to be crappy for another couple of weeks. The boat launch is in worse shap than ever. I took the 12 foot boat and left the full sized 16 footer at home. There is maybe 1 to 1.5 feet left of water just off the shore and then it shallows up just after that. I might risk the bigger boat in the June time frame next year. Do you ice fish Siebert every year? I have never tried ice fishing there yet due to fear of the long road in. How is the road? Have you ever had good luck with perch? Should I ask more questions? :p

Cheers!

wildman
08-07-2007, 08:58 AM
super-fatties snappy!!!!!
a trip well worth the effort!!!!!!!!!
awesome work!!!!

Walleyes
08-07-2007, 09:16 AM
snap we try and ice fish Seibert at least once a winter towards March,, and it can have some great fishing... We usually target Walleye and big Pike when we are there I have never tried directly for Perch on those waters...

As far as getting in I suppose it depends on how much snow,, I know last year a person would not of made it into or on the lake we had a lot of snow as you may recall... We ski-doo in from my place its about a 30 mile run on some pipelines and cutlines its a fun ride adds to the whole trip...

SNAPFisher
08-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks WM! Agreed :)

Walleyes, thanks for the post back. That is great that you have a place so close to that country. If you don't mind me asking, do you live in that area or is it a recreational place?

The wife and I have a cabin at Upper Mann Lake and make the jump to many of the lakes in the area. I know what you mean about the snow this past winter. I was challenging just getting onto some of the more accessible lakes. Often was the first trail blazer (aka dumba$#) out there :wave:
If there is any reason for me to think about a sled, more accessibility for ice fishing would be a good one.

Walleyes
08-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Snap, I live east of lac La biche about 7 miles,, close to Lakeland park,, Its about 30 min run to Blacket, Jackson and all the neighbouring lakes, all on trails and crown land.. I am also only 5min to the boat launch at Beaver and 30 min to Touchwood,, who needs recreation property when you live were we do.. We are fortunate to have the place we do.. And we bought it a few years back thank goodness, the price of property in our area has gone insane... People are paying 75 - 80 grand for lots in our area that 5 years ago were for sale at 8 -10 grand.. The wife and I are fortunate we have 3 years left on our mortgage and she's all ours....

SNAPFisher
08-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Very nice! I'm envious. That is a great place to live indeed. Sounds like your timing was impeccable in getting your place. Congrats!

We picked up the cabin in 2001 when prices were great. Now prices are ridiculous like the rest of the crazy province.

I can understand what you are saying about living there. My heart is with that region. Everytime I drive back to Edmonton I feel depressed to be leaving even though I know I'll be back in a week or two. The "concrete jungle" is not for me. One day..... :cool:

Walleyes
08-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I feel for you snap,,, when I go to the city which isn't that often maybe twice a year I can't help but feel sorry for those kids,, I know that people have to do what they have to do but man am I happy I don't have to raise my boys there... I have turned down a couple good job promotions over the last couple years in order to keep my family were we are and to keep enjoying our life as we know it... At least until my boys are grown.. There are more important things in life than money and work,, I strongly believe that if you fail at you're family you have quite simply failed...
My boys are pretty wild and use to all the space they need,, to move them to a large community would be hard on them,,it would be like taking a wild Wolf and putting them in a zoo,, not a pretty site...