PDA

View Full Version : Lakes near Peace River?

mcampb
01-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm going to be working up by Peace River until March and was wondering if anyone knew of any nearby lakes that were decent? Any info on any lakes would be great.

Hooker
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
'Near' in the Peace country can mean a few hours travel just to get there. Closest Pike lake to Peace River would be Winagami Lake between McLennan and High Prairie. The next good lakes would be Snipe Lake N.E. of Valleyview and Sturgeon Lake just west of Valleyview. Other than that, if you have a day or two off you can head over to Joussard or Slave Lake and fish Lesser Slave Lake. There are people who rent out ice shelters of various sizes so check around before you go. Good luck! :)

The Fish King
01-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Check out figure eight lake for trout just north of fairview I believe. Cummings lake also has a wicked perch fishery and is located basically in fairview, it also has browns and rainbows. Moonshine also has rainbows in it.
I would purchase the alberta backcountry map for that region and try looking to the north. I havent done to much exploring that far north but I seem to recall seeing some lakes on the map that I may want to try.... the mapbook also contains a section on lakes that contain fish so that may be your best bet.

Good luck and tight lines

marlin4570
01-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Moonshine also has some big browns. Caught a few 6/7 lbers on the open water.

jrcw
01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
The Peace River itself has fish in it. I'm told that where it meets its tributaries is the best place to start. I think it really depends on what you're after. Like some of mentioned, there are trout to be had in the immediate Peace River area. Walleye, pike and perch might take a little more effort. I have a friend from PR and he always comes to Slave to fish the big lake for walleye etc. Snipe and Winagami are also good options, though more for pike than walleye. Tight lines!

mcampb
01-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks a lot, great info. Sorry for not being more specific. As far as species go it doesn't matter to me! I'm game for anything. As far as travel time goes, the closer the better but 2 hours would likely be the max unless I had a couple days off (unlikely lol). Will likely be driving 4x4 for access. Thx for the backcountry map idea, will check it out. Once again thanks! :wave:

Topwater
01-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Evening trips East Dollars, Figure Eight
Day trips Haig, Sawn, Snipe, Sturgeon
Weekend trips Peerless, Gods, Vandersteen, Grahm, Slave

The river is closed for the winter. Your pretty much lookin at a good hour before you get into much, but if you dont mind the gravel then go east because there is some great fishin and 80% of the time you'll have the lake to your self.

GummyMonster
02-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Sorry ,
missed this post earlier.
Figure eight is a bit east of grimshaw. Cummings lake has a lot of perch, but they are not all that big. Cummings has very few if any trout left anymore.
There are quite a few lakes east and northeast of peace river as well. I agree that the alberta backroads map is a great way to find potential mplaces to go.
Let us know how you fare.
:DKen:D

farmboy_ab
02-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Moonshine also has some big browns. Caught a few 6/7 lbers on the open water.
No more Browns, they summer killed about 3ish years ago, still some decent rainbows though.