PDA

View Full Version : Turning over an outboard in freezing weather?

npauls
01-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I have a guy coming to look at my old boat on saturday and was just wondering what everyone thinks about turning the motor over in the negative weather? I have been told not to even try and others saying it will be fine. I did try today but I think the battery is not charged enough. I could hear it trying to just like a car in the cold but couldn't get it to turn over. Should I just leave it be or try my best to get it turned over for this guy. I have explained that I won't be trying to get it running but might be able to try and turn it over for him to hear.

Any info and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

nate

RedFisher
01-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Personaly i wouldnt ive always been told never to start it in thr einter..

jusfloatin
01-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Was it properly winterized?
If it was just make sure you use fresh gas with the proper mix and refog after being run.

skidderman
01-29-2010, 06:36 AM
Never run an outboard without the leg either being in water or with rabbit ears. It takes only seconds to ruin the impeller if it isn't lubricated by water. I wouldn't even do it in the summer unless with water. I learned the hard way!!!!

mooseknuckle
01-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Never run an outboard without the leg either being in water or with rabbit ears. It takes only seconds to ruin the impeller if it isn't lubricated by water. I wouldn't even do it in the summer unless with water. I learned the hard way!!!!

If your counting on water for lubrication it's no wonder you've had issues in the past:huh: Thats what oil is for water keeps your block cool. If you have a barrel of water or even just the "rabbit ears" or "headphones" you'll be fine. I've ran outboards in the winter for purchase or sale for 10-15 seconds without any water you have to remember the time it takes to heat the block to point of failure is probably 4-5 minutes. I might not attempt it on a newer model worth big bucks but I have a late 60's and couple of early 70's evinrude motors they've been started several times over the last 35-40 years like this and they still run strong. And if they explose next year.... well was it miss use and abuse or simply age?

300WSM
01-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm with moose, fire it up.... for 15-30 secs. No problem doing mine in 10 yrs, never fixed a thing, never fogged and it's stored outside. I just make sure the leg has no water in it (drain hole) before it gets stored. Mind you it is a MERC.

CMMahy
01-29-2010, 09:45 AM
If your counting on water for lubrication it's no wonder you've had issues in the past

The water lubricates the water pump, which is really a rubber piece that looks a bit like a spider and spins inside a cavity. If you don't have water in that cavity when the pump starts spinning, you can shear off one or more of the "legs" if it sticks to the wall of the cavity, which will then break the rest of them off, then your water pump is shot. It's a cheap piece to replace, but if you don't realize it's blown until it's too late (overheat), then things get expensive.

Personally I wouldn't start the engine outside in the cold, if there's any water left in there it can freeze the pump to the walls of the cavity and break it when you crank it over. Inside in a warm shop, don't see an issue.

mooseknuckle
01-29-2010, 09:48 AM
I have to agree if you don't have a warm place to store it get some glycol in there via funnel, piece of hose and the ear plug thingies? Whatá the proper name for those silly things?:lol:

CMMahy
01-29-2010, 10:12 AM
I always just called them ear muffs, no idea what they're really called....

npauls
01-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Well I think its to cold to start it. I charged up the battery and tried to just turn it over and its making a bit of noise but wont fully turn over. I know the motor is in good shape but I am not sure if the guy wanting to buy it will believe me. Hopefully he takes my word for it and I can get this boat sold. I have a few things I need to buy at the outdoorsman show next weekend with that money.

Nate

jusfloatin
01-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Well I think its to cold to start it. I charged up the battery and tried to just turn it over and its making a bit of noise but wont fully turn over. I know the motor is in good shape but I am not sure if the guy wanting to buy it will believe me. Hopefully he takes my word for it and I can get this boat sold. I have a few things I need to buy at the outdoorsman show next weekend with that money.

Nate

If your battery was fully charged up and it would not turn the motor over you have serious problems unless this boat is at the North Pole.

pikester
01-29-2010, 10:25 PM
The water lubricates the water pump, which is really a rubber piece that looks a bit like a spider and spins inside a cavity. If you don't have water in that cavity when the pump starts spinning, you can shear off one or more of the "legs" if it sticks to the wall of the cavity, which will then break the rest of them off, then your water pump is shot. It's a cheap piece to replace, but if you don't realize it's blown until it's too late (overheat), then things get expensive.

Personally I wouldn't start the engine outside in the cold, if there's any water left in there it can freeze the pump to the walls of the cavity and break it when you crank it over. Inside in a warm shop, don't see an issue.

X100! When the water impeller starts to go or is slightly damaged, you will likely not notice immediately. I just replaced the impeller in my Johnson this last fall because I noticed by accident (reaching over the motor to clean weeds) after a full speed run the leg was overheating to the point where I couldn't hold my hand on it! Had a small engine mechanic help me with the replacement & now it shoots water everywhere when at full speed & stays nice & cool! It's interesting to see how fragile & vulnerable to damage this important & simple piece of machinery really is.

skidderman
01-30-2010, 10:41 AM

That is what I was trying to say as well & I fully agree. I was once 3 hours from home when my impeller failed & it was the end of my trip. I have bought a few boats in my old age & if a seller starts the engine without the motor being in a barrel or hooked up to rabbit ears I will walk away from the deal right then & there. If you research it you will find that running the engine only a few seconds will do a lot of wear on the impeller. A new impeller is about $80.00 but if it is wrecked you then stand a chance of overheating the engine and could lose your motor. For you others, go ahead & start without water if you want but please put a big sign on your boat warning others not to buy it.

npauls
01-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Well I am glad to say the guy took my word for it and the boat has been sold. Bring on the new hummingbird, jigging rod reels, and hopefully a new electric back trolling motor.

Thanks for all the help guys. Good to know there is somewhere to turn where you can get answers fast.

Nate