PDA

View Full Version : MEC Position on hunting

Baulde
08-08-2007, 12:02 PM
This subject came up in a thread on boots. Rather then fill it with more of this discussion.

I sent a message to MEC as I was unsure if they supported anti hunting groups, this is the reply I received.

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your email enquiry.

Mountain Equipment Co-op exists to provide gear and clothing for self-propelled outdoor recreational activities. This is very specific in our mandate and philosophy. These activities include things such as climbing, hiking, camping, skiing, cycling, canoeing and kayaking.

Of course some of the equipment we sell can be used by people engaging in other activities, including hunting. But we do not sell anything that is specifically designed for hunting as it is not, strictly speaking, a recreational activity.

What you may be referring to is that on one occasion in the past, I believe we allowed an anti-hunting lobby group to hand out leaflets in front of one of our stores. We had no actual connection to this group, though and it is not an issue that we feel we need, or want to get involved with - on either side. So that is unlikely to happen again. As an organization, we don't take either a pro, or anti-hunting stance.

I hope this helps clarify MEC's position, Dave. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,
Martin

MEC Service Centre
130 West Broadway
Vancouver BC V5Y 1P3

Toll Free within Canada and USA
Tel. 1-888-847-0770
Fax. 1-800-722-1960

Local and International
Tel. 1-604-876-6221
Fax. 1-604-876-6590

While I am sure someone will tear apart exactly what they said. If they do not support the anti hunting groups in the way they let the one group setup outside their store, I will still shop there.

I imagine if they took a pro-hunting stance they would stand to lose many of their more "mentally" challenged customers.

sheephunter
08-08-2007, 12:14 PM
At least they remembered the grizzly incident...lol I'm sure they received a lot of letters over that one. Good for you for asking the question and while I would choose not to shop at a store that supports anti hunters....I have no problem with a store that chooses to remain neutral on the issue. Thanks for the update.

BrownBear416
08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
This is not the response we got from them right after they were called out on the anti hunting demo.

They pretty much told hunters to **** off and that they would do what they like.

SheepHunter will be able to shed some Knowledge on this as i believe he wrote a damn good article about it.:)

No apology was ever handed out to the hunting community as I can remember for being part of something they know absolutly nothin about.

BrownBear416
08-08-2007, 12:19 PM
:lol: See he beat me to it.

roger
08-08-2007, 12:28 PM
my girl is into serious hiking and buys there religiously, MEC's return policies are unreal good and products are excellent. especially in the weight dept.
i dont mind paying a bit more for a product that is superior in quality.
it seems they almost pride themselves in getting the funkiest looking stuff like ultralite folding stoves or those downright evil looking ice axes.
i bought a $500 extra tall mummy bag there for $350(?) and it compresses into a basketball sized item.

sheephunter
08-08-2007, 12:37 PM
And who says no one listens when hunters speak out with a unified voice! The other thing to remember about MEC is that it is a co-op and as a member you also have a voice as to their policy.

Baulde
08-08-2007, 12:39 PM
I love many of their products, I am just glad they are neutral on the hunting issues. Otherwise I would be shopping elsewhere. As in no way would I support a company that is supporting anti-hunting groups. I would rather spend a little more and know that tree huggers are not indirectly getting my money or support.

BrownBear416
08-08-2007, 12:52 PM
First time i ever went into Mec i bought so much stuff i had to get one of the check out girls to help me carry the bags to my truck.:lol: :lol:

One of the best shopping spree's i have ever been on......but on a cruel twist of fate i had my truck stolen from West Ed that same day and lost everything.5000$ bucks total worth of hunting gear.:mad3: :mad3:

Don't worry i am over it now:mad3: :mad2: really i am.:lol: :lol:

ex811
08-08-2007, 01:14 PM
I'd rather spend the extra $$ shopping in stores (local stores or through the mail/internet) that openly state they support hunting (fishing/trapping).
A very simple philosophy, you support me, I'll support you. Hiding from the issue just to get my money does not count.

Stinky Coyote
08-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Too funny. It seems they maybe during that grizzly incident they learned a lesson afterall! I'll bet it was in the pocket book...hunters spend alot of money on gear!...and they are in the wrong province to do business and alienate hunters at the same time. Too funny. If thats not eating crow then i don't know what is.....hurray for our team! You wouldn't have gotten a response from them like that when the grizzly shyt storm happened.

I love it.

Okay...maybe i can admit that i spent a bit of money there this year getting ready for this sheep hunting thing but believe me...i went to campers village and the internet first...when it became inconvenient and hard to find some of the stuff then and only then did i stop in and use my wifes old membership to buys some stuff. I feel so much better now that i see they've learned a lesson on how to do business in Calgary Alberta!:o :D

Dark Wing
08-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I still remember my old hunting buddy Corky going into MEC and asking if they sold guns.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vindalbakken
08-08-2007, 02:04 PM
I wonder what they believe hunting to be "as it is not, strictly speaking, a recreational activity. "?

Kutenay
08-08-2007, 02:07 PM
As a lifelong treehugger and hunter, I have been a member of MEC from almost it's inception; the vast bulk of sales in the stores are to younger people and some serious mountaineers. Much of their own branded gear is mediocre in design and quality, compared with the real cutting edge stuff, as they cater to a certain segment(large) of the market.

They also support the communist Chinese and Vietnamese economies, but, do have some decent gear made here in Canada and this REALLY pizzes off Canuck nationalists, like me. Things ARE improving as a friend of mine who works in the main office tells me due to guys like me phoning them with complaints.

MEC had become a real pita circa 2000, due to young, hip, know-it-alls, sort of the left-wing version of black gun wannabes who infest gun stores, however, quite a number of older members complained and the management went through several staff changes, cleaning out the radicals.

Now, I ALWAYS mention hunting and my large gun collection plus defence weapons against Grizzlies on the several trips per year I make to MEC and the reaction I am getting is very positive. I know a number of gunnuts and hunters who work there.

It simply comes down to firmly telling people that WE have certain RIGHTS and in a manner that gives them a good impression. ALL people concerned with the environment/outdoors NEED to stick together, IMO.

Rocks
08-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Good job Baulde getting clarification from MEC, and posting that letter. I guess I'll quit telling people not to shop there. It does sound like they learned a lesson from the grizzly incident, thats good!

I still remember my old hunting buddy Corky going into MEC and asking if they sold guns. LOL, I can see him doing that...

MUDDSTER
08-08-2007, 08:20 PM
This is really good to hear .... I know I will be going back and giving them another chance. I stopped going when the bear incident went down.:evilgrin:

TreeGuy
08-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I like others have spent probably way too much money at MEC by times. For me the purchases are more work releated, but I make sure that they can be crossovered to 'play' releated too.:D

Baulde, I congratulate you for your success (I, however, have been significantly LESS successful in my endeavour:mad: ) and for posting it here for all to see. Good stuff!

OK, at the risk of sounding like a moron, can someone please explain what the grizzly incident was. I have a pretty good idea from reading this but.....

Tree

Baulde
08-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I had just found out about the grizzly incident in the other thread about boots. First I had ever heard of it. So I poked around a little as if they were still supporting anti hunting groups it would have been the end of em for me.

I found this site making mention of the incident,
http://www.gamewarden.ab.ca/archive/Summer2004/departmt.htm

During the past month, many hunters in Alberta took that stand. Upon learning about Mountain Equipment Co-op’s (MEC) approval to allow the Alberta Wilderness Association, CPAWS Calgary/Banff, Grizzly Bear Alliance and Wildcanada.net to locate a display outside of the Calgary store, many hunters picked up the gauntlet and said enough is enough. In fact, in two weeks, MEC received several hundred e-mails protesting the blatant “anti-grizzly bear hunt propaganda”. Telephone lines, chat rooms, bulletin boards and e-mail were lit up!

I think they may have had quite a few people ask, as it looks like the reply MEC gave me may be a form letter. Notice they refer to some guy named dave right near the end of the letter. Or for some reason he thought my name was dave ?

700TI
08-08-2007, 10:20 PM
I will have to agree with ex811. Sitting on the fence is no way to win me over. I'll go to the stores that support hunting, as it is one of my "recreational activities"

TreeGuy
08-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks Baulde. Good read and it seems like a lesson was learned, business lesson that is. As for the 'culture' within the MEC's, I'm not going to be wearing camo in there any time soon!

As to the letter, it starts with a 'Dear Eric', and ends with a Dave. Since you're not a Dave, are you an Eric? Seemed a bit 'form letterish' to me also. Anyway, thanks again.

Tree

Baulde
08-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Yea, I am an Eric. So they got the first part right.

bullgetter
08-09-2007, 07:52 AM
I thought the Alberta hunting community would know by now. Do not shop at MEC!!!!!!!!!!!!

LongDraw
08-09-2007, 08:23 AM
If you are a hunter/fisherman you should not shop at MEC! The place reeks of hypocricy.

calgarychef
08-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I was just at the store yesterday and got some goodies.

I'd sure like to get a list of the organizations that MEC does support. I suppose an organization like MEC must have millions of dollars in profit to give away and even if they portray a negative stance that can be easily shifted by supporting the sierra club, pita etc.

the chef

sheephunter
08-09-2007, 09:39 AM
It's all on their website calgarychef......certainly they support some groups I wouldn't but no PeTA and other active anti hunting groups. They are a member-based co-op and have to disclose all that type of information to their members.

Baulde
08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I thought the Alberta hunting community would know by now. Do not shop at MEC!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are a hunter/fisherman you should not shop at MEC! The place reeks of hypocricy.

As per some hunting gear I agree. But I also need climbing gear, backpacking, and gear for Search and Rescue. And honestly I have been unable to find some of the MEC gear anywhere else. Esp at the prices they are at.

BTW, I don't know which gas stations, auto parts, and grocery stores are pro-hunting. In fact im pretty sure they are neutral on the matters as well.
But if you know of auto parts stores that are pro hunting let me know. Since I use my auto to get out and about in the woods.

But I could not find what groups they support on the website if any.

CNP
08-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I shop there. They have the stuff I want and I go there and get it. If they took an anti-hunting stance I would back off. But that is not the case. Remember when stores like Sears, K-Mart, Woolco, Canadian Tire, Woolworth's etc used to sell guns. Just cause a place doesn't sell hunting specific stuff doesn't make it bad to shop there. I'm dating myself by mentioning some of those store names lol.

sheephunter
08-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Actually a few Canadian Tires do sell guns still with the one in south Calgary being one of the best gun shops in Calgary. It's all got to do with the individual owner and the fellow that owns the south Calgary location is a hunting nut and caters to hunters accordingly.

Funny you mention K-mart...I bought one of my first rifles there. That was a long time ago.

aulrich
08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
FWIW I just got back from MEC they have an interesting little tid bit. I am not sure how long this has been going on but if you don't take a bag 5 cents is donated to the Sierra Club.

So remember take a bag :) and if you feel so inclined make a comment unfortunatly it caught me off guard (I was day dreaming about this years moose hunt)

Enough to get me to stop shopping there, no.

Okotokian
08-09-2007, 02:28 PM
I wonder what they believe hunting to be "as it is not, strictly speaking, a recreational activity. "?

I think perhaps they are under the mistaken impression that hunting is also a natural, traditional food-gathering activity that is much more humane than modern beef or poultry industry processes. The poor saps. Don't tell them the truth :lol:

Think I'll go out and vaporize some gophers this weekend.... ;)

Okotokian
08-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Actually a few Canadian Tires do sell guns still with the one in south Calgary being one of the best gun shops in Calgary. It's all got to do with the individual owner and the fellow that owns the south Calgary location is a hunting nut and caters to hunters accordingly.

Funny you mention K-mart...I bought one of my first rifles there. That was a long time ago.

You seen that Cdn Tire lately Sheep? They have EXPANDED the hunting section. I actually bought my current shotgun there a number of years ago.... Berretta 391 Ulrika Sporting even, and at a lower price than Wholesale OR Russell.

sheephunter
08-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes, I have been there recently and it is awesome and their prices are usually very competitive. They have some unbelieveable post-hunting season sales as well.

CNP
08-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Circa 1969-70. Bought my first shotgun in a Woolco Dept Store in Sault Ste Marie. $90 for a new Mossberg 500. They sold Enfields right out of packing crates placed on the floor (not behind a counter) for $35. You carried it yourself, along with ammunition, to the check-out and took it home on the bus. I was a kid without a car. Wasn't life simple...too simple I guess.

ABDUKNUT
08-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Unfortunately we as hunters cannot financially sustain the entire wilderness on our own- we have to share that responsibility with non-hunters. Not all of them are 'anti-hunting', some just need to have the facts explained to them in a way that makes sense.
In fact, the number of 'anti-hunters' is extremely low. The vast majority, don't care one way or another, and it's these guys (and girls) that we don't need to alienate or provoke into forming an 'anti' opinion.
There's a ton of good people up here in AB and BC that don't hunt, but do inderstand ecology; namely the impact of man and our ecomomy on our habitat. I've crossed paths with a few of these types, and have interested a few of them enough in guns and hunting, that they have actually found new interest in hunting... Good for all of us.
I do shop at MEC, as they do have a good selection of very useable gear, at a consitently good price. I've never ran into any anti-hunting crap there at any location, even the downtown Toronto one. I don't know what Calgary is like because I've never been there, other than stop-overs at the airport.
Look at this way- at least MEC has no plans to bastardize and commercialize hunting with 'guide services' and 'pro-staff' and all that trash.

Okotokian
08-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Circa 1969-70. Bought my first shotgun in a Woolco Dept Store in Sault Ste Marie. $90 for a new Mossberg 500. They sold Enfields right out of packing crates placed on the floor (not behind a counter) for $35. You carried it yourself, along with ammunition, to the check-out and took it home on the bus. I was a kid without a car. Wasn't life simple...too simple I guess.

Holy crap, with such easy access to guns and ammo, there must have been a ton of murders and college sniper attacks back in those days!!!!!! :lol:

brndawg
08-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Yes, I have been there recently and it is awesome and their prices are usually very competitive. They have some unbelieveable post-hunting season sales as well.

which Cdn Tire is this, please?

sheephunter
08-09-2007, 05:40 PM
McLeod Trail south

Stinky Coyote
08-10-2007, 08:08 AM
From what i understand there is a father and son team who own the Canadian Tire store in Red Deer and the Macleod Trail South store in Calgary and they are bigtime into hunting and why their stores sell guns etc. For everyone who visits wholesale & russels in Calgary i suggest you also stop in the Canadian Tire and see for yourself. I buy all my burris ff2 3-9x40 scopes with bp reticle at the south store for 249 bucks....what are they selling elite 3200's for at wholesale/russels these days? The burris kicks its arse....more scope for the money imo. Plus they will usually find and order guns in for me much faster than the other two gun shops down south....i can't even talk to a guy at the gun counter at wholesale the last 3 times i've been in.

Baulde
08-10-2007, 10:35 AM
From what i understand there is a father and son team who own the Canadian Tire store in Red Deer and the Macleod Trail South store in Calgary and they are bigtime into hunting and why their stores sell guns etc. For everyone who visits wholesale & russels in Calgary i suggest you also stop in the Canadian Tire and see for yourself. I buy all my burris ff2 3-9x40 scopes with bp reticle at the south store for 249 bucks....what are they selling elite 3200's for at wholesale/russels these days? The burris kicks its arse....more scope for the money imo. Plus they will usually find and order guns in for me much faster than the other two gun shops down south....i can't even talk to a guy at the gun counter at wholesale the last 3 times i've been in.

I'm definitely going to have to take a look. Selection was ok last time I was there(about 2 years ago) but if they expanded thats great. I already refuse to go to Russels and Wholesale is close behind. The Canadian tire had good service but limited selection when I was there last, but honestly. Anything is better then Russels IMHO.

Big Boar
04-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Going back 6 years now. Just wondering if anyone has a new view on this one? I know since this thread has been out that they have financially supported anti hunting groups like http://www.pacificwild.org/

I don't buy from them, you shouldn't either. They support groups that want to stop you doing what you love.

Here is an example: http://www.sierraclub.bc.ca/our-work...ar-raffle-2011

kidd
04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Hope this link works. This article with the MEC stance on hunting is all I need. There are other places to buy my gear. I dont need to shop in their stores.
kidd

http://www.gamewarden.ab.ca/archive/Summer2004/departmt.htm

pikergolf
04-09-2013, 04:14 PM
I'll keep buying there, nice stuff with a country of origin on every product, very inline with my values. Can't remember seeing a Chinese product.

V_1
04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Oh not again... ("I don't do that why you shouldn't!!!" Ulimate moral athority just arrived to enlighten the crowd. Right..)

I buy from them and vote in MECs board elections (for candidates who seems less lunatical :D ) and mention that I hunt in every their survey and talking to people there, never encounter any negativity, in fact ran into mec members and staff who hunt. I'd rather put some effort into promoting hunting and hope MEC listens and changes than take path of empty posturing. But that just me.

BTW on avarage MEC staff is more knowlegeable about products, friendly and helpful that folks at basspro and cabelas, never mind CanTire.

lannie
04-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Oh not again... ("I don't do that why you shouldn't!!!" Ulimate moral athority just arrived to enlighten the crowd. Right..)

I buy from them and vote in MECs board elections (for candidates who seems less lunatical :D ) and mention that I hunt in every their survey and talking to people there, never encounter any negativity, in fact ran into mec members and staff who hunt. I'd rather put some effort into promoting hunting and hope MEC listens and changes than take path of empty posturing. But that just me.

BTW on avarage MEC staff is more knowlegeable about products, friendly and helpful that folks at basspro and cabelas, never mind CanTire.

Great Post!
Promote hunting and fishing!

Unregistered user
04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
I am a long time MEC member, I have always felt they offer good value on their products compared to competing stores. Just recently I bought a new bike, their stuff wasn't close to the quality/value of The Bike Shop on 11th, I was quite surprised.

V_1
04-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Great Post!
Promote hunting and fishing!

Thanks. I just felt than no one here needed to be lectured on what to do and what not to; and I'm sure MEC as a commercial entity will be much more attentive to dollars-in folks than to dollars-out crowd who also discredit themselves too often.

JohninAB
04-10-2013, 08:12 AM
I went into their Edmonton store last month to buy some avalanche beacons. Good prices. Paying to park kind of sucks though unless my Jetta qualifies for their enviro friendly parking. Nice store. Found out when I went to pay for my merchandise I had to buy the $5 membership. Girl told me it would be my best decision ever. Being a forester and hunter and fisherman I assured her I doubt if all my values totally mesh with MEC's. Definitely going back though as some excellent outdoor products at good prices and knowledgable staff.

walking buffalo
04-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks. I just felt than no one here needed to be lectured on what to do and what not to; and I'm sure MEC as a commercial entity will be much more attentive to dollars-in folks than to dollars-out crowd who also discredit themselves too often.

This is not a lecture. :)

Many people are unaware of how MEC directs some of it's income. It is absolutely fair to educate the hunting community that some of the money spent at MEC will be given to several organizations that are working full time to eliminate hunting and even Human access to a large portion of North America.

MEC may pretend to be "Hunting Neutral" according to it's position statements, however MEC has proven to be anti-hunting through founding organizations that have a mandate to eliminate hunting and through financial support of established Anti-hunting groups.

MEC is a founding member of "The Big Wild" and "Y2Y". MEC is also a large supporter of the Sierra Club and the David Suzuki foundation, CPAWS, and other groups that spend MEC Grant money on anti-huting campaigns.

Products purchased at MEC help fill the coffers of those who wish to eliminate our hunting heritage. Justify your actions however you wish.

V_1
04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm well aware of their positions and affiliations, thank you. :)
I actually came from non(not anti)hunting part of an outdoor crowd, you never know. ;)

Why focus on MEC? Strange affiliations can be found anywhere if looked for, like United Way or YWCA and Coalition for Gun Control. AB Government gives grants to enviro-Mental peolpe for anti-oilsands movies, etc.Pretty much any organization may have been involved in 'anti-something' sponsorship of some kind at some point. To me Bass Pro is MORE 'anti-hunting-heritage' than Mec as they still record firearms license information of buyers in ugly looking books.

TheRealMcCoy
04-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Boy his is a long thread. I wanted to ask this question;
I have heard rumors to the effect that anti hunting groups
have their members putting apps in on the hunting draws.
I have no proof but it wouldn't surprize me. If they are my
ex sister-in-law will be in on it.
I just had to went this off. I feel better now.

calgarychef
04-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Here's a story to prove that they are anti hunting, and it's straight from the horses mouth.

I advertised on their website where you can look for buddies to go on trips with. I was looking to take a a new hunter on a moose hunting and canoe trip and figured that would be a good way to find one. They wouldn't approve the ad because it had the work " hunting" in it. If that's not blatant anti hunting I don't know what is.

The store started out as a good idea but when they funnel our profits to organisations that would eliminate hunting entirely how could any of us support that. I severely limit my spending there and so should every hunter. Also if hunters weren't spending a big chunk of change with them why would they worry about us at all? We should start a group of hunters for responsible spending and only spend with suppliers who support us.

V_1
04-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Your wish may come true if big hunting stores start approaching MECs selection of gear for active 'sporty' types of hunters, and stop stupid markups for anything that have 'hunt' of 'gun' in name or intended use. So far they just suck - all of them, WSS, Cabelas and Bass Pro included.

BTW did you take your concern abount ad deletion anywhere further?

pikergolf
04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
I actually came from non(not anti)hunting part of an outdoor crowd, you never know. ;)

Why focus on MEC? Strange affiliations can be found anywhere if looked for, like United Way or YWCA and Coalition for Gun Control, pretty much any organization may have been involved in 'anti-something' sponsorship of some kind at some point. To me Bass Pro is MORE 'anti-hunting-heritage' than Mec as they still record firearms license information of buyers in ugly looking books.

This is exactly right, strange affiliations exist everywhere. Because it is so easy for people to look into MEC, they get hit. I'm sure if we started looking into other org. you'd find the same thing. WSS sports is owned or was owned by UFA, some farmers are in favor of paid hunting, I bet they belong to UFA, bingo. Until the store actually comes out and says we are against hunting I'll buy want I want there.

1899b
04-10-2013, 12:15 PM
I make no apologies. MEC handles great, durable products and very very good prices. Not sure how they would feel about me though...... :):sHa_shakeshout:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Win94/YellowheadCounty-20111011-00157_zps710968a3.jpg

220swifty
04-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I advertised on their website where you can look for buddies to go on trips with. I was looking to take a a new hunter on a moose hunting and canoe trip and figured that would be a good way to find one. They wouldn't approve the ad because it had the work " hunting" in it. If that's not blatant anti hunting I don't know what is.

I see this right here as an opportunity to make our presence felt. If everybody who posted here looking for a hunting buddy or mentor also posted on their site, they could see the size of the market segment they may potentially isolate.

If they had an influx of these types of ads, do you think they would continue to delete, or would they look at a potential policy change?

Also, if a good chunk of the hunters with MEC memberships got together to nominate 'one of our own' for the board, I bet the numbers are there to get them elected. What percentage of membership actually votes in these board elections?

Action speaks louder than bitching. If you dont like something, do something to change it. Preaching to the choir doesn't count as doing something.

V_1
04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
I see this right here as an opportunity to make our presence felt. If everybody who posted here looking for a hunting buddy or mentor also posted on their site, they could see the size of the market segment they may potentially isolate.

If they had an influx of these types of ads, do you think they would continue to delete, or would they look at a potential policy change?

Also, if a good chunk of the hunters with MEC memberships got together to nominate 'one of our own' for the board, I bet the numbers are there to get them elected. What percentage of membership actually votes in these board elections?

Action speaks louder than bitching. If you dont like something, do something to change it. Preaching to the choir doesn't count as doing something.

Absolutely.
It is also possible that their message board are run by some lunatic-type, 'less-talented' staff with lack of customer care skills, part-time folks, or even volunteers. It worth reminding to all of them where money are coming from - customers, regardless of stripe.

Okotokian
04-10-2013, 01:02 PM
You know.... MEC is a group that could be easily shanghai'ed. Membership is cheap, most members don't vote or know anything about the candidates for their board.

I'm sure plenty of hunters are members already. Easy and cheap to recruit lots more. Then run an underground campaign on hunting boards, etc, nothing public or on MEC websites. Elect a slate of hunters to run MEC. ;)

V_1
04-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'm in. :)

calgarychef
04-10-2013, 01:32 PM
I did take that message board thing further, right to the top if. Remember correctly and I was shot down. So no, it wasn't just some psycho greenie tree hugger who was managing their message board. It was in fact supported by top management. Go ahead and try posting on the board yourselves.

Too bad they have been hijacked by these types because MEC is in a good position to work with conservation groups who also happen to be pro hunting. As far as nominating a pro hunting member of the board, I'd believe that one when I see it. Boards have more influence over who gets in than you can imagine.

calgarychef
04-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Ok, I just took the bull by the horns and did a posting looking for an elk bowhunting oartner for the kannanaskis area. I'll report back when I have a response. It might be best not to flood their board with this stuff just yet.

V_1
04-10-2013, 02:41 PM
OK, I'll hold mine.

Okotokian
04-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Ok, I just took the bull by the horns and did a posting looking for an elk bowhunting oartner for the kannanaskis area. I'll report back when I have a response. It might be best not to flood their board with this stuff just yet.

Odds on how quickly it will be taken down? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm going to pop over there and enter MEC's first-ever "IBTL"! LOL

greylynx
04-10-2013, 03:25 PM
I know another organization like MEC. It is called Ducks Unlimited Canada.

They even have ties to David Suzicki from an interview on Rutherford last fall.

greylynx
04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Odds on how quickly it will be taken down? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm going to pop over there and enter MEC's first-ever "IBTL"! LOL

Me too OKO:

You wanna be my partner in some ungulate wildlife management?

calgarychef
04-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Ok well I don't see my ad, it was posted under the "other" category and in the Alberta region. I'll give them another day to "process" the ad then send them another nasty gram like I did before, I'll report what happens.

The thing that pzzzes me off is I've been a member for about 35 years, yea that's right, I supported them from the beginning and they now use my money against me with these crack pot organisations. Way to go MEC!

Okotokian
04-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Me too OKO:

You wanna be my partner in some ungulate wildlife management?
Sure. It's tough out there in the wilderness. Soft-hearted guys like us got to put a few of them out of their misery. ;)

calgarychef
04-11-2013, 01:45 PM
He'll golly be! They posted the ad, maybe we can have some little bit of hope after all. Lets see where this goes.

Jamie
04-11-2013, 02:40 PM
He'll golly be! They posted the ad, maybe we can have some little bit of hope after all. Lets see where this goes.

Chef, I can't see it.
Gita a link? Or is it gone?

Jamie

220swifty
04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Chef, I can't see it.
Gita a link? Or is it gone?

Jamie

http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/gearswap_listing_TravelTripPartners.jsp?FOLDER%3C% 3Efolder_id=2534374302881594

Nice work!

FCLightning
04-11-2013, 04:03 PM
I hope you get some positive response from the ad.
Good job.

V_1
04-11-2013, 04:28 PM
It took just a phone call go get it back! :D (Tim if you're reading this - thank you!)

One more reason not to confine ourselves to our own community but also reach out to out herbivore brothers. :)

FCLightning
04-11-2013, 06:46 PM
That didn't last long - I don't see the ad anymore.

NewGuard84
04-11-2013, 06:49 PM
This thread will be influencing my shopping. Thanks everyone.

Big Boar
04-11-2013, 08:20 PM
MEC supports anti hunting groups

Take a look at the MEC gift card prize, given to a group who wants to stop the sport of hunting. Below is the link for proof.

http://www.sierraclub.bc.ca/our-work/gbr/spotlights/winners-of-the-great-bear-raffle-2011

http://www.pacificwild.org/site/our-...ophy-hunt.html

This quote is from their site:

We continue to develop solution-based proposals that involve policy changes, compensation, mitigation and a long-term solution that work toward a day that wildlife on our coast will not be indiscriminately killed for trophy or sport.

You see, when you look into their organization, they are against the "sport" of hunting animals. This includes deer hunting and every other kind. Write to groups MEC supports like Pacific Wild if you don't believe me. They want all hunting stopped, and will not quit pursuing that goal until it is accomplished.

Your $100 spent at MEC = Money in the pocket of a group trying to stop every kind of sport hunting (including deer or whatever it is you claim to hunt).

Now I've put this in as simple math as I can and I just can't see a way that you aren't ruining hunting by shopping there.

If you would like me to go into other projects of groups they support I will. For example, MEC supports a group here in BC who wants to stop hunting completely in the South Okanagan-Similkameen. Now, maybe you don't hunt there either, and you're fine with that, but what if it was where you hunted?

Now please....I await your MEC is great, witty rebuttal.

Poochie
04-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Looks like his ad is still there

http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/gearswap_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743 02884240&refNo=377583&category_cd=TravelTripPartners&sub_category_cd=Miscellaneous

FCLightning
04-11-2013, 09:02 PM
:) Some disagreement whether it should or should not be there I would say - take it off, put it up, take it off, put it up again...

greylynx
04-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Did you know that Tracy Neal has set up a Lynx fund on the MEC site?

Please help him out.

walking buffalo
04-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Have you ever known a dog that keep's on sticking it's nose up a skunk's butt?
Why the heck won't that dog ever learn?
I guess it just likes the stink, believing it smells like roses..

MEC will NOT be truthful on it's stance regarding hunting either on it's own website nor on it's foundation's. MEC would rather be decietful and get money from hunters to fund it's anti-hunting campaign....

Can those who continue to believe spending money at MEC does not fund an anti-hunting campaign at least make the connection between two dots?

Let's try....

One dot.

http://blog.mec.ca/2011/01/18/the-emotional-message-behind-the-big-wild/

The Big Wild is Mountain Equipment Co-op’s conservation amplifier

MEC and the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society are the founding partners of The Big Wild,

Two dot..

http://www.thebigwild.org/challenge/mantario-paddle-canada-canoe-course

" Mantario Wilderness Adventure Centre in the Mantario Wilderness Zone, the only such zone in Manitoba, having non-motorized access and no hunting meshes nicely with the Big Wild concept."

MEC is "The Big Wild".

"The Big Wild" IS ANTI-HUNTING!

Therefore MEC is?

greylynx
04-11-2013, 10:04 PM
I smell business problems with MEC just walking into the Edmonton store. There are also some full time employees who are not all that happy in overhearing their discussions between one another.

I think a lot of my fellow AO members see what is happening as well.

Calgary MEC might be different. I would be interested in Calgary opinions of the business.

One way that MEC could start saving itself is to cater to the AO type of person.

If I were working for MEC I would place a full page ad in page 2 or 3 of the Alberta Outdoorsmen magazine every month. Make it page 2 and 3.

trooper
04-11-2013, 10:26 PM
I see a reference to a grizzly incident, what happened there?

Kanonfodder
04-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Looks like his ad is still there

http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/gearswap_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743 02884240&refNo=377583&category_cd=TravelTripPartners&sub_category_cd=Miscellaneous

Linky no workie so I guess that answers that particular question

Nester
04-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Works for me......

Looking for hunting partner
Posted Apr 10, Posting No 377583

Tracy Neal
Calgary, Alberta

Email this person

Description: Looking for hunting partner

Subcategory: Other

I'm looking for an elk bow hunting partner for the kannanaskis area starting this September. I'm looking for someone who is well versed in mountain camping, hiking and who loves the outdoors. A new hunter is ok, if you've never hunted this might be a

nof60
04-12-2013, 09:44 AM
I know this is going to sound weird but we need organizations like Big Wild, Sierra, Suzuki Foundation etc.

Yes they are against hunting. But they are also the strongest forces to keep industry and logging and mining in check. You average hunting group is not going to stand up to those who would destroy the planet for a profit and those people need to be stood up against. Without wild there is no wildlife to hunt.

I know that just the least bit of anti hunting rhetoric is unsavory to most of us. But in reality I think these organisations do us as hunters more good than harm in the long run by forcing government to institute environmental controls on big business and polluters.

i am not saying we should all run out and buy greenpeace memberships and convince our wives to stop shaving their legs and armpits. But I really dont think you need to wory too much about 10cents from your new back pack going to Sierra. Just tell yourself that your 10 cents went to habitat improvement and not to the anti hunting side.

Besides, without David Suzuki who would we all love to hate? Plus with the money i save there i can go hunting that much more, so thank you for the hunting trip MEC. Thats called beating them at their own game.

greylynx
04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Works for me......

Posted Apr 10, Posting No 377583

Tracy Neal
Calgary, Alberta

Email this person

Description: Looking for hunting partner

Subcategory: Other

I'm looking for an elk bow hunting partner for the kannanaskis area starting this September. I'm looking for someone who is well versed in mountain camping, hiking and who loves the outdoors. A new hunter is ok, if you've never hunted this might be a

They would not post my message that Tracy Neal is philanthropist and donates thousands a year to the save an old lynx foundation.

kayaker
04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
I know this is going to sound weird but we need organizations like Big Wild, Sierra, Suzuki Foundation etc.

Yes they are against hunting. But they are also the strongest forces to keep industry and logging and mining in check. You average hunting group is not going to stand up to those who would destroy the planet for a profit and those people need to be stood up against. Without wild there is no wildlife to hunt.

I know that just the least bit of anti hunting rhetoric is unsavory to most of us. But in reality I think these organisations do us as hunters more good than harm in the long run by forcing government to institute environmental controls on big business and polluters.

i am not saying we should all run out and buy greenpeace memberships and convince our wives to stop shaving their legs and armpits. But I really dont think you need to wory too much about 10cents from your new back pack going to Sierra. Just tell yourself that your 10 cents went to habitat improvement and not to the anti hunting side.

Besides, without David Suzuki who would we all love to hate? Plus with the money i save there i can go hunting that much more, so thank you for the hunting trip MEC. Thats called beating them at their own game.

Not weird at all. A lot of large conservation NGO's are ambivalent about hunting. They are neither strongly pro nor anti and many recognize hunting as part of suite of wildlife management tools and legitimate land uses. Some may not want it in 'core' protected areas and often they are opposed to slobs who rip up wetlands in their quads and leave their junk lying around - but many pro hunting organizations are campaigning against that too.

elkhunter11
04-12-2013, 10:47 AM
There are far too many suppliers that are pro-hunting, for me to give my business to a company that does not in any way support hunters, or hunting.

Big Boar
04-12-2013, 04:08 PM
we need organizations like Big Wild, Sierra, Suzuki Foundation etc ....they are against hunting.

This one thought is definitley the stupidest thing I have ever heard on what I thought was a pro-hunting website. Give your head a shake. Stop supporting them if you are, until they change their stance on hunting being part of our culture and our heritage and part of our lives.

May as well give money to PETA because you had the hots for Pam Anderson.

There are plenty of pro-hunting places to buy your gear, that support organizations like the wild sheep society or the elk foundation. Heck even SCI does stuff to protect hunters rights. Big Wild, Sierra, Suzuki Foundation etc are doing fine without you. Don't feel sorry for them.

nof60
04-12-2013, 06:08 PM
This one thought is definitley the stupidest thing I have ever heard on what I thought was a pro-hunting website. Give your head a shake. Stop supporting them if you are, until they change their stance on hunting being part of our culture and our heritage and part of our lives.

May as well give money to PETA because you had the hots for Pam Anderson.

There are plenty of pro-hunting places to buy your gear, that support organizations like the wild sheep society or the elk foundation. Heck even SCI does stuff to protect hunters rights. Big Wild, Sierra, Suzuki Foundation etc are doing fine without you. Don't feel sorry for them.

When Cabelas passes on the savings to me like MEC does and carries as good of gear I will shop there more. As it is Dick Cabela has been hunting in Africa enough times without me paying for his next trip. Quit sending your money to Nebraska, try shopping Canadian. When WSS actually has what I want to buy on there shelves instead of backordered I will shop there. When Bass Pro, Cabelas or WSS hires someone that actually knows something about what they are selling I will be more inclined to shop there (except bass pros fly shop, I thought those guys were pretty good).

I do give money to the FNAWS and Trout Unlimited. I also give money to CPAWS. I understand that industry, and yes even hunting, need a watchdog so my grandkids have something left to hunt and a place to hunt it. And american foundations protecting american and outfitters rights are not going to cut it. Unless you want a more european model of hunting being a rich mans sport.

But you can continue to help ol Dick get one last trip to africa and pay too much for chinese junk if you want to. All because he supports hunting (well he supports his hunting anyway, or should I say you do)All the while ignoring the big picture that wild space helps us all. Heck even PETA does some good when they expose crap like chicken and egg production to the world.

I guess I am too stupid to spend my money like that and too stupid to miss out on using some great gear from a canadian retailer that offers awsome service and good prices because they dont fawn over hunters but do support keeping industry in check and living a renewable lifestyle. Heres an idea. Check out an MEC, see what its like to deal with knowledgable staff, buy a membership, vote and change it from within. But I guess thats just stupid.

Also they have the best kids outdoor clothes...bar none.

Try reading a whole post before you run your mouth by the way.

greylynx
04-12-2013, 06:27 PM
When Cabelas passes on the savings to me like MEC does and carries as good of gear I will shop there more. As it is Dick Cabela has been hunting in Africa enough times without me paying for his next trip. Quit sending your money to Nebraska, try shopping Canadian. When WSS actually has what I want to buy on there shelves instead of backordered I will shop there. When Bass Pro, Cabelas or WSS hires someone that actually knows something about what they are selling I will be more inclined to shop there (except bass pros fly shop, I thought those guys were pretty good).

I do give money to the FNAWS and Trout Unlimited. I also give money to CPAWS. I understand that industry, and yes even hunting, need a watchdog so my grandkids have something left to hunt and a place to hunt it. And american foundations protecting american and outfitters rights are not going to cut it. Unless you want a more european model of hunting being a rich mans sport.

But you can continue to help ol Dick get one last trip to africa and pay too much for chinese junk if you want to. All because he supports hunting (well he supports his hunting anyway, or should I say you do)All the while ignoring the big picture that wild space helps us all. Heck even PETA does some good when they expose crap like chicken and egg production to the world.

I guess I am too stupid to spend my money like that and too stupid to miss out on using some great gear from a canadian retailer that offers awsome service and good prices because they dont fawn over hunters but do support keeping industry in check and living a renewable lifestyle. Heres an idea. Check out an MEC, see what its like to deal with knowledgable staff, buy a membership, vote and change it from within. But I guess thats just stupid.

Vote: In the last MEC election I submitted my vote with nothing on it just like a good conservative thinking person.

There are enough people in the shooting community of Canada to put a member on the board. of MEC.

WHY is there no shooting representative. I think we all know the answer.

nof60
04-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Vote: In the last MEC election I submitted my vote with nothing on it just like a good conservative thinking person.

There are enough people in the shooting community of Canada to put a member on the board. of MEC.

WHY is there no shooting representative. I think we all know the answer.

So run. i will vote for you.

Big Boar
04-12-2013, 07:26 PM
I understand that industry, and yes even hunting, need a watchdog so my grandkids have something left to hunt and a place to hunt it.

I did wade through the whole post of useless drivel.

Same as this last one.

If the company you support gets its way your kids will never be hunting!

But I would be surprised if you really were a hunter. I'm probably just getting trolled. In that sir, I congratulate you.

Blastoff
04-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Don't support them that are Big Time tree huggers and hate snowmobiles too.

Nester
04-12-2013, 09:18 PM

Exactly :happy0180:

NEXT!

Big Boar
04-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Exactly :happy0180:

NEXT!

Is this a hunting site or a b&$@h site?

Oh, I am a vegetarian. I don't want to hurt the deers.

Has all of Alberta's hunters softened up?

Steven Noel
04-12-2013, 10:30 PM

I know you'll take flack for a comment like that, but I'm going to have to agree.

I have no intention of lying, I don't hunt (though I do support its responsible participation). Personally I am an avid fisherman, and MEC provides me with much of the gear I need to get to and function while I enjoy this sport. It also allows me to partake in the many other activities that I frequent with or without concurrent fishing such as hiking, cycling, backpacking and natural photography.

If at some point another retailer comes near the consumer experience that MEC offers, perhaps I will give them a go. For now they can continue to take my money and give it unapologetically.

Big Boar
04-13-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry guys. I totally didnt understand this was an "outdoorsmen" site. Hahahaha. I thought this was a hunting site. I 100% apologize to the people I was arguing with.

Hopefully you guys will come around some day.

Till then protect the outside.

I'm out.

pikergolf
04-13-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry guys. I totally didnt understand this was an "outdoorsmen" site. Hahahaha. I thought this was a hunting site. I 100% apologize to the people I was arguing with.

Hopefully you guys will come around some day.

Till then protect the outside.

I'm out.

Did you read the title of the forum?

Big Boar
04-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Did you read the title of the forum?

Hahaha. I have no idea why I thought this was a hunting forum. I totally get it now. I will keep my posts more in line with what is appropriate for outdoorspansies.com Again. I am really sorry.

pikergolf
04-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Hahaha. I have no idea why I thought this was a hunting forum. I totally get it now. I will keep my posts more in line with what is appropriate for outdoorspansies.com Again. I am really sorry.

:sHa_shakeshout:

nof60
04-18-2013, 10:49 AM
I did wade through the whole post of useless drivel.

Same as this last one.

If the company you support gets its way your kids will never be hunting!

But I would be surprised if you really were a hunter. I'm probably just getting trolled. In that sir, I congratulate you.

How is the hunting in langley anyway? Son, when it comes to hunting you could not harrow what i plow. You really are a BIG BORE.

walking buffalo
04-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Outdoorspeople have a choice, support companies and organizations that help conserve land and wildlife and Hunting, fishing, and other renewable resource harvesting, or support companies and organizations that want to eliminate all Non-aboriginal harvesting in the name of "Preservation".

The choice is pretty obvious to me.