PDA

View Full Version : NSR Tips

Acipenser fulvescens
08-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Going to try the NSR this weekend hoping to tie into some walleye, goldeye or sturgeon. Thought I head northeast toward fort sask, start there, then maybe to Vinca bridge and then south of Smokey lake.

Is it worth going up that way?

7 REM MAG
08-08-2007, 07:17 PM
take pickerell rigs and jumbo dew worms

pickrel pat
08-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Good luck to ya. let us know how you did.

-JR-
08-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Fished north east in edmonton on sunday ,fishing realy slowed down
Might be because of all the new minos in the river.
Don't know where they came from ( up or down stream )
But you new when a fish was swimming along the shore because the minos would start raising to get out of the fishes way.
it was just a wave of minos .

buckmaster
08-09-2007, 08:31 AM
river is very slow this week.

Acipenser fulvescens
08-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Spent Saturday & Sunday fishing NSR near Fort Sask. Actual angling time about 8 hrs. (16 man hrs) Spent most of the time trying to find access areas and productive water. Managed to catch & release 3 Goldeye, 1 Sauger, 1 Walleye and 2 Pike and lost more hardware than I care to mention.

It could have been worse if it wasn't for my brother-in-law, who lives in the area. He knows a few out of the way spots. A very frustrating first time to say the least. May think twice before going out on the river again.

Unfortunately we saw the head of a Sturgeon on shore. (A juvenile for sure, 10-12 pounds maybe) It wasnt a clean cut and looked like gulls, animals or something eat the body. I'm hoping it died naturally and wasn't thrown on shore by someone.

wake
08-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Dont be so down on the river...You just need to find the right spots,yes there are area's full of snags but other area's can be very productive and not so expensive.Dawson park,White mud park,Gold bar,etc.Pickerel rigs with anti snag weights do help also.I am hoping no one poached that Sturgeon...

sirmike68
08-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Last week a buddy and I anchored my boat just downstream of the island behind Sherritt. Probably caught 40 walleye in a couple hours and not one lost hook. Although they averaged about 2 - 3 pounds they kept us busy.

happy perch fisher
08-15-2007, 12:17 AM
i went to my favorite spot this weeked caught while over 20 eyes in 2 hours ran out of minnows. lol i caught 2 pickeral on 1 pickeral rig at the same time one was 22 inches and 18 inches. then right after i got a nice 8 pound walleye.

Acipenser fulvescens
08-15-2007, 09:16 AM
The key is to find a "favourite" spot. I'll just have to put the time in to find one. I might put the canoe in to cover more water.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.