PDA

View Full Version : back from kitimat

steveo955
08-10-2007, 01:34 AM
just back from the kitimat trip. lots of fish. 3 of us caught about 30 chum, biggest one was 25.5lbs, 4 chinook biggest was 20lbs, and about 400 pinks. i have never seen that many pinks before, it was crazy. as well as great fishing, the wildlife was everywhere. lots of bears. i got some video footage of a "spirit bear" white grizz. my 13yo son started yelling polar bear. it was pretty neat to see, i dont know much about them.

honda450
08-10-2007, 06:21 AM
The Kermode Bear (spirit bear) is not a Grizzly. It is a black bear with a unique gene pool.

goldscud
08-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Hey Steve, was there anyone fly fishing for the Chums where you were?

steveo955
08-10-2007, 11:30 AM
there were a few people getting chum on the fly, but not too many. we got 2 while fly fishing for pinks. as for the bear, every one that i spoke to, or showed the video to, said that it is a grizz. i dont know enough about them to argue with anyone, but the hump on his back made me think it was a grizz. the head was a strange shape as well. if i can figure out how to get the video downloaded i will post it.

sheephunter
08-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Definitely could have been a grizz but then not a spirit (Kermode) bear. As Honda450 said, they are a black bear with a recessive gene. Those chums on the fly must have been crazy. Those are the hardest fighting salmon I've ever caught. Would love to see some pics!

Unregistered user
08-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Were you in the river or on the 'chuck?

steveo955
08-11-2007, 01:28 AM
we were in the river(im not sure what the 'chuck is). i found that chum dont fight much on the fly. dont know why, but you can lead them in to shore like walking a dog. on bait caster/spinning gear its a different story,man are they strong! my brother-in-law hooked one at the power lines and had his heels dug in the gravel, but the fish was still dragging him a bit. my son hooked a monster at the lower dyke that screamed 200yds of line off none of us could keep the rod tip up to keep the pressure off the reel. i finally tightened the drag as far as it could go,and got a couple of cranks on him whn we saw a seal close to where the fish was. a few seconds later, SNAP the fish was gone. my son usually plays his own fish, but this time it was dammage control.

Unregistered user
08-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Sorry, saltchuck. The river sounds like the place to be then, congrats on a great trip.