PDA

View Full Version : Update on suspicious activity orig. posted by 300wsm

Divert
02-10-2010, 11:01 PM
After reading the post by 300WSM I hope im not stirring the pot but thought people shoule be aware cause it just seems really fishy. I just heard from a friend that there in Westlock now. Around 2130hrs tonight they happend to turn up driving a Black Pannel van offering free carpet cleaning. The Owner of the house happens to be a female who lives alone, to which she declined there offer. Then about 15mins later they turned up at another single female's residence house offering the same thing. Funny that they "carpet cleaners" didnt offer any of the neighbours who have a full house with kids any deals.
Just thought I would let ppl know would hate to hear of something bad coming out of this.

DarkAisling
02-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Are the cops in the Westlock area doing anything about this?

pickrel pat
02-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Are the cops in the Westlock area doing anything about this?
what would they do? tell them you cant carpet clean in canada? seriously, you can notify them, but they cant do anything till they break the law..

DarkAisling
02-11-2010, 08:09 AM
what would they do? tell them you cant carpet clean in canada? seriously, you can notify them, but they cant do anything till they break the law..

They can't press charges or make arrests until they break the law. They can certainly ask questions and make people aware of any suspicious activity.

Okotokian
02-11-2010, 08:23 AM

That's true, but if the cop isn't lazy they can still take some useful action. I once fired a guy and then found bomb-making plans downloaded from the internet in his desk (the guy was an electronics tech, so could easily do it). Made me nervous. I called the cops. They said he hadn't done anything illegal, but that they would drop by his place and ask him about them just so "he knows we know". Less likely to do anything then. If the cops just casually stopped and questioned these guys I doubt they would do anything, now that they are "known" to local police.

CaberTosser
02-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Okotokian has it nailed. When the cops are notified of something suspicious, it is their job to follow up on it. It doesn't have to entail an arrest, but if they interview the suspicious characters its obvious to those characters that they are being watched. If they are not local and are up to no good they will likely choose to move on. If they are local they know they are being watched.

I'd followed a truck for a while once. I was in my garage late night-early AM and I heard a vehicle running right outside. I went to check it out and they had just begun driving down the alley a bit more. I stayed out of view to them as they proceeded down the alley and stopped once more by the other fellows place down the block who also had an obvious workshop. The truck then exited the alley and entered the next alley across the street. Obviously at that point it becomes a bit strange, short of looking for a missing dog thats not normal. And why only stop at garages where the vehicles parked outside them indicate a high likelihood of tools being inside? I followed them for a while and was on the phone with the police, describing the truck and trying to get close enough for a plate #. I wasn't right behind them, instead driving parallel on the pavement and "essing" the block so I would be crossing behind them as they drove in and out of alleys. I wanted to be subtle so they'd not notice me. A quick flash of a car crossing behind someone will be gone before their eyes hit the rear view mirror. I lost them, but at least the police were alerted to be vigilant.

archerynewb
02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
That's true, but if the cop isn't lazy they can still take some useful action. I once fired a guy and then found bomb-making plans downloaded from the internet in his desk (the guy was an electronics tech, so could easily do it). Made me nervous. I called the cops. They said he hadn't done anything illegal, but that they would drop by his place and ask him about them just so "he knows we know". Less likely to do anything then. If the cops just casually stopped and questioned these guys I doubt they would do anything, now that they are "known" to local police.

I had a similar experience, but the plans were to rob my store and bypass the alarm system. It was hilarious because the guy was an idiot.

Anyway, this is suspicious as hell. If they show up to the door with a vacuum in hand, I probably would take them semi-professional. But an unmarked panel van... not so sure.

If the police get the same suspicious activity reported by multiple people, I'd think they'd be a little more prone to acting on it.

BeerSlayer1
02-11-2010, 12:46 PM
single female's residence house

If I were her I'd leave a pair of muddy size 13 work boots on her front door step. It sends a message of who else might be inside.

Tonto
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM

Most communities require anyone doing door to door to have a business licence

Albertadiver
02-11-2010, 12:57 PM

That would make me feel better, if they at least did something like that. Just have a little friendly 'chat'.

Sundancefisher
02-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Okotokian has it nailed. When the cops are notified of something suspicious, it is their job to follow up on it. It doesn't have to entail an arrest, but if they interview the suspicious characters its obvious to those characters that they are being watched. If they are not local and are up to no good they will likely choose to move on. If they are local they know they are being watched.

I'd followed a truck for a while once. I was in my garage late night-early AM and I heard a vehicle running right outside. I went to check it out and they had just begun driving down the alley a bit more. I stayed out of view to them as they proceeded down the alley and stopped once more by the other fellows place down the block who also had an obvious workshop. The truck then exited the alley and entered the next alley across the street. Obviously at that point it becomes a bit strange, short of looking for a missing dog thats not normal. And why only stop at garages where the vehicles parked outside them indicate a high likelihood of tools being inside? I followed them for a while and was on the phone with the police, describing the truck and trying to get close enough for a plate #. I wasn't right behind them, instead driving parallel on the pavement and "essing" the block so I would be crossing behind them as they drove in and out of alleys. I wanted to be subtle so they'd not notice me. A quick flash of a car crossing behind someone will be gone before their eyes hit the rear view mirror. I lost them, but at least the police were alerted to be vigilant.

We had a drug drop off in the alley behind our house so I wanted to break it up. When ever someone suspicious parked back there I would suddenly have some alley garbage pick up to do (we had a very clean alley for a few years). I would also walk down the alley just to make it know to people that this is not a drinking and drug fun party spot.

Anyways...one warm summer day I noticed a car parked down by the old drug drop off spot. I wandered down the front...checked the mail and came back up the alley.

When I walked up past the car I was startled to look down and find a young couple discussing the birds and the bees. At that exact second the little miss looked up and expressed loud shock. Within seconds the car was leaving the alley. They never came back. It has been quiet for a while.

I also noted the drug drop off to police and they make it a point to look down that alley for a year. Alerting the police...being vigilant...makes a difference. Especially when helping those a little more gullible than you or I.

300savage
02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
When I started the original thread, my only intention was to warn people to be vigilant and be a little more cautious when dealing with solicitors. But due to comments made by some spineless individuals, I won't post on this, but I will still read others posts.

Okotokian
02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
When I walked up past the car I was startled to look down and find a young couple discussing the birds and the bees. At that exact second the little miss looked up and expressed loud shock. Within seconds the car was leaving the alley. They never came back.

This is exactly why you should stop the dangerous practice of going out and patrolling, and instead simply install surveillance cameras. ;):evilgrin:

TreeGuy
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
If I were her I'd leave a pair of muddy size 13 work boots on her front door step. It sends a message of who else might be inside.

That's a pretty darn clever idea BeerSlayer!

Most communities require anyone doing door to door to have a business licence

That is also a good suggestion, Tonto. File a complaint with the sheriff or whomever is in charge of administering such things, and trust me, they WILL follow up on it.;)

Okotokian
02-11-2010, 03:14 PM

That's not bad, but how about the little lady just keep electronic game caller downstairs. When she answers the door she pushed play on the remote and a pre-recorded tape plays: "Hey honey, could you get me and Mike a beer? We have gun cleaning solvent all over our hands." :evilgrin:

mooseknuckle
02-11-2010, 03:22 PM
That's not bad, but how about the little lady just keep electronic game caller downstairs. When she answers the door she pushed play on the remote and a pre-recorded tape plays: "Hey honey, could you get me and Mike a beer? We have gun cleaning solvent all over our hands." :evilgrin:

:lol::lol::lol: That would do it!!

jacob1202
02-11-2010, 09:39 PM

ha ha... thats funny