PDA

View Full Version : TROPHY FISH - Getting it mounted

tacklerunner
02-11-2010, 10:46 AM
If you caught the once in a lifetime trophy you've been looking for and wanted to mount it, would you:

a) Weigh, measure, photo and have replica made and release fish.

b) Weigh, measure, photo and have replica made and consume fish.

c) Have the original skin mounted.

Buck Krazy
02-11-2010, 10:53 AM
skin mount, feed it to the bears.

marlin4570
02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I would have to go for A, release the beast for others to have a chance at!
I prefer to eat smaller fish over the trophys.

Team Beef
02-11-2010, 05:06 PM
A.
but use length, girth, photo, photo, photo and release. With the new techniques for fish replicas these days this is the only way to go. Besides who wants to eat such an "old" usually that is, fish.

DarkAisling
02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Hmm. Either "A" or "B" . . . depending on what species it was. Most likely "A" . . . but I reserve the right to eat it ;)

WayneChristie
02-11-2010, 05:39 PM
let you know when I catch it :D

lifesaflyin
02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
i could catch the world record for all i care. i would release it or depending on species... eat it.

nicemustang
02-11-2010, 07:14 PM
In my opinion, trophy fish taste horrible and shouldn't be eaten. So might as well throw it back after pictures and measurements.

tacklerunner
02-11-2010, 07:55 PM
A.
but use length, girth, photo, photo, photo and release. With the new techniques for fish replicas these days this is the only way to go. Besides who wants to eat such an "old" usually that is, fish.

Agree 100%. Skin mounted a Sailfish & so much is fake and covered up anyways I regret not letting it go and having a replica made. Replicas will also last forever. Skin mounted is prone to discolouration, fading and decomposition.

tacklerunner
02-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Hmm. Either "A" or "B" . . . depending on what species it was. Most likely "A" . . . but I reserve the right to eat it ;)

So true! 30lb Pike, A. 50lb Spring salmon, B.

Steven Noel
02-11-2010, 09:13 PM
C

Considering I catch trout all summer long (ok I fish for trout all summer long, catch them most days :tongue2:) and every single fish goes back into the water, if I catch a trophy trout in legal waters I intend to keep it and give the 27" rainbow downstairs some company.

perchie15
02-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I would have to go for A, release the beast for others to have a chance at!
I prefer to eat smaller fish over the trophys.

I 100% agree with you Marlin!!

jrcw
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know how much getting a replica made would cost? How hard is it to find a good taxidermist to do the job?

tacklerunner
02-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Bass Pro gets theirs done in Ontario.

I'd try get a referral from Wholesale Sports for someone more local.

B.O.
02-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I caught a 32.5" walleye with 19" girth wieghing 12lbs. from the ssr and released it. I commisioned advanced taxidermy to make me a replica. It turned out great but it is not the fish I caught it is more like art work. I am happy with the job they did but I would rather have a skin mount.

tacklerunner
02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I caught a 32.5" walleye with 19" girth wieghing 12lbs. from the ssr and released it. I commisioned advanced taxidermy to make me a replica. It turned out great but it is not the fish I caught it is more like art work. I am happy with the job they did but I would rather have a skin mount.

Nice fish! How much something like that cost?

jimbo79
02-12-2010, 06:23 PM
I've heard of places with a $250 minimum and $20 an inch on any thing over 20" But things could be different if you search. A picture is good enough for me!

Walleyes
02-12-2010, 06:27 PM
This would all depend on what people consider a mountable fish. I do know that a person will only see a very few so called once in a lifetime fish. If a person were to start mounting a fish a year then I would say go to a replica but if you look at the big picture and a person's lifetime of fishing it kind of changes. I mean if out of your whole life if you managed to get one Walleye mounted is it really going to hurt the population any ??? its not like people are going out every day and mounting fish. I know hundreds of dedicated walleye fishermen and this can go for any species,, I know hundreds of them like you all know.. How many of those people have live mounts ?? I personally can only think of about a half dozen people..

Personally I have been on the water like a Cormorant for 35 years that I can remember and I am sure my father had me out from the time I was breathing and I have yet to have a mountable fish one that I consider mountable. I do know this that when the day comes that I put that 12 or 14 pound Walleye in the boat that sucker is going on my wall. The same go's for that 50# Chinook. I think mother nature could stand me keepin those I really don't think it would mess up my karma..

209x50
02-12-2010, 08:57 PM
A

BuckHunterBowen
02-12-2010, 09:13 PM
replicas are junk

tacklerunner
02-12-2010, 09:16 PM
This is my Sailfish I had mounted. Caught larger but when I got the 8 1/2 footer, I had a wall I knew I could fit it on. It's a skin mount. You can see the fins and tail and bill are all real except for the Dorsal Sail which they told me up front is too delicate to save so it 100% cardboard. The rest, well who can tell. I was naive and didn't know a replica was an option but the meat, which is not very good eating, I donated to the local village people which was cool; in Mexico by the way. Mount was done in Mexico City, took 4 months to arrive and cost about $1000 CDN all said; shipping, duty, the whole works. Picked it up from the Calgary Airport in a crate and there she is. Very happy with the whole experience because you give a Mexican $500 down and who knows.
In the future I will do replica's. Not just for C&R but it seems much easier. Skin mounts require a great deal of work and preservation before it gets to the taxidermist. It also gives you the freedom and time to improve on your catch and let's you decide when you are ready financially as well.

jimbo79
02-13-2010, 06:36 PM
That's a nice display.

Paul C
02-13-2010, 07:57 PM
The fish you caught has much more value if its the same one mounted,
Wildlife Originals did my trout and Clarence likes to complete projects within 1 year (season). He captured most of the details with my supplied photograph.:wave:

Kim473
02-14-2010, 04:34 AM
A: But so expensive now days.