PDA

View Full Version : Los Cabos-Mexico Fishing - Please Help

WalleyeDeitz
02-11-2010, 08:51 PM
The wife, daughter and I just booked a trip to Los Cabos Mexico with another couple for the end of March and I thought I would give a shout out to see if anyone on here has been fishing there. I am definitly booking a full day deep sea fishing and am really hoping to get a recommondation on an outfitter or boat. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,

Dougie55
02-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Wish i could help guy..Used to know lots of guides there as we fished it yearly...Almost all of them have been forced into working for the big American Guides, or the Co-op...almost the same thing..
I will check with some of my friends down there, but I think you will pay a lot more than than the fishing is worth. Some good fish still come from there, but it is not a good fishery anymore. Some people do OK on trips though, and I hope you do the same. If I find something, I will PM you.

Tyangelo
02-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Caught a trophy Striped Marlin there in 2005. 170 lbs and 99 inches. The charter was the cheap part, but I cant remember how much it was. My 18th birthday present and grad present was to have it mounted, which came to over 5 grand. Lots of dorado there though. Good eating.

bryanfewchuk
02-12-2010, 12:00 AM
was there last year and went out for a day, cant remember the name of the outfit we just went down to the marina one day and talked to a few guys. had a really good day. caught 7 marlin the biggest was 210lbs. great time! hope you have fun out there.

pdfish
02-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Pisces sportfishing

Duck Hunt
02-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Any of you remember abouts what it cost for a days fishing. I'm heading out there next week.

pdfish
02-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Any of you remember abouts what it cost for a days fishing. I'm heading out there next week.

Depends on the size of the boat. The internet is your friend.

Kale 19
02-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Walleye. I was there last march and we had decent luck. Cabo is a great sportfishing destination. We fished off of the golden gates. Its a large shelf a few miles off the coast where large schools of mackeral congregate and attrack multiple species of game fish. We were there for 10 days and went out twice. This time of year the water is a little cooler so the larger species of marlin such as the blacks and blues are not as plentiful since they prefer warm water. There are however stripped marlin around. This time of year can be really hit or miss. Its not the best time of year for marlin fishing but on one of our 2 trips we managed 5 striped marlin and 1 mako shark. The second trip we only caught 2 stripes. The outfit we went with was Picante charters. This is one of the top outfits at the marina. Great quality boats/gear/crew. You can expect to pay $1100 - $1400 depending on size of boat for an 8hr day + $100 tip. If you are really looking to catch a lot of marlin, go in dec/jan. This time of year is crazy good marlin fishing.
Another option if you want the cheaper alternative and smaller species is to go down to the docks and hire a local to take you out around divorce beach in a much smaller boat. You can expect to catch larger Sierra (Mackeral), rooster fish, yellow tail, red snapper, and jack. We did this one day and what a blast. Tons of action all day long and we kept what we wanted and cooked it up. I think we paid about $150 for 3 of us but of course in mexico you can barter and you may be better at it than I am.
Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know how you make out and post some pics of your success. I'm headed back there winter 2011 and will be fishing again for sure.

Good luck and tight lines!
:wave:

drizzle64
02-12-2010, 09:24 AM
$570.00 US for 8 hr day,licence , lunch,beer,bait included.
28ft boat. with head.
Was there in january, dorado fishing was on, marlin slow.Saw a few but could not hook up.
Lots of whales to see.
If you go to marina in morning, 6 am you could probably get same deal for $400.00.

tacklerunner
02-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Fished all coasts of and Gulf and no question Cabo is the best anytime of year particulary when the Marlin are prevalent. I don't think you can go wrong. Have Fun!

WalleyeDeitz
02-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Wicked info guys, thank you so much for sharing it. Im getting really pumped now. Been Marlin fishing 4 times and each time it was just a boat ride. I am going to see what I can line up over the internet. Kale, your advice is great, was a bit more than I was thinking of spending but if their the ones that know what there doing then I suppose its worth it.

Will let ya know what we manage to hook into....

Regards,

Jeff

Rigg dogg
02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
We were down there last Nov, went fishing with an outfit called Baja Anglers. Good outfit, owners name is Grant Hartman.
If you want to try out some flyfishing they specialize in it.
Fishing is better from Oct to Feb but I am pretty sure you will stiil get some action. We caught some Roosters and Striped Marlin all on light tackle, good time.

www.bajaanglers.com

For some more fun try out www.wideopenbaja.com and take the dune buggys for rip.They are a blast.

Good luck fishing!!

WalleyeDeitz
02-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks again for the info.

greylynx
02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Some Advice:
Take down a whole bunch of Rapala's with you and trade them for fishing time.

Rapalas are super expensive in Mexico, and the fishing guides will trade time on their boats for the hooks.

Mudslide
02-18-2010, 10:03 AM
What kind of rapalas do they use down there? Size /color?

WhiteyChaser
02-18-2010, 10:52 AM
i went last june out of los cabos with a smaller outfit i think it was called pedro's sportfishing, wouldnt recommend them, didnt catch a thing, we had one on all day and he broke off right away. Was still great to get out, but was very dissapointed with the guides.

greylynx
02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
What kind of rapalas do they use down there? Size /color?

To be honest, they don't seem to care.

bardfromedson
02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
I have never been to cabo but whenever i go somewhere new i research the heck out of it. your best place to start that is www.bloodydecks.com . its the best fishing forum for offshore that i have found. there are a ton of reports for cabo. i would start an account (its free) and ask around. simular to this forum. don't go with the cheapest would be my sugestion. also going down to the docks to find a cheap boat is not always a great idea. if they don't have clients and are not busy it might be for a reason. good capt. are usally busy and need to be booked in advance. i was stuck picking between cabo and puerto vallarta for this past january and went with puerto vallarta. when checking into cabo i did hear lots of good stuff about dreamweaver sportfishing. also the fishing grounds in cabo are quite close to shore compared to some other places so if you want to go after marlin one day and inshore the next you can get away with a smaller boat . even the small pangas go after marlin there but i would stick to a bigger boat for them if cost is not a huge issue. i would never sugest cheaping out on fishing offshore. you may never get to go back. if you find a capt. that cares as much about catching fish as you do you then your chances for a great day are a lot better. also, the websites that advertise a ton of boats are sometimes not a good idea. its some big company that is booking for multiple owner/operators and taking a cut. you can get a better deal when dealing with a owner/operator outfit. also talk to them on the phone if your making a reservation. its nice to know they can speak good enough english so there is no confusion once you get there. when i was looking there where nice boats for around 800-1000.

CNR
02-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Cabo is the best striped marlin fishing in the world....period. We went with Pisces Charters, "La Brisa" was the boat. They do have a website you can book your trip online. We landed 10 marlin last Feb and there were alot of boats doing just as good. The money spent was worth it. $1000 plus tips

Tides and Tales
02-20-2010, 04:41 PM
We fished Cabo 2 years ago, and had a great time. We paid $500/day for the boat, and tipped out $100 to the crew. The boat (Dr. Pescada) was older, but was really clean, and appeared to be well maintained. The crew worked really hard for us, and I would certainly recomend this boat as they have placed in the money for the Bisbees more than once. The guy you want to talk to is "Victor Hurtado" (044 (624)12-21882). If you can't get him on the phone, you can find him on the boardwalk between the Tesoro resort and the Dolphin pool. He owns the jet ski rentals.
We fished the Golden gate, which was a bit of a run but worth the trip.
cheers,
MK
http://www.tidesandtales.com/photo/photos/8341ab7e0e7a4bb7dc84d16e7f28a829_large.jpg

Springer
02-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Well I have fished Manzaillo and the puerto vallarta area a total of 5 times and only have reeled in some bonito and 1 Dorado. I fished Maui today with my wife on a charter called Start me up and we came home smelling like skunk. I said thats it still no marlin after this many trips. We will try Cabo next year and if i get the same result i am done with offshore fishing. I also get seasick quite easily and the patch is the only thing that works for me.

Good luck on your fishing.

-JR-
02-22-2010, 06:14 AM
The guy to talk to is cabo you can get a hold of him on the Alberta fishing forum, he lives on Pigeon lake and at Cabo just for the fishing and gulfing. Just his handle on the site tells it all.
Hell of a nice guy !

Tides and Tales
02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Well I have fished Manzaillo and the puerto vallarta area a total of 5 times and only have reeled in some bonito and 1 Dorado. I fished Maui today with my wife on a charter called Start me up and we came home smelling like skunk. I said thats it still no marlin after this many trips. We will try Cabo next year and if i get the same result i am done with offshore fishing. I also get seasick quite easily and the patch is the only thing that works for me.

Good luck on your fishing.

Sorry to hear about your Marlin luck, but don't give up, it will happen for you. I have guided many seasick prone clients, and I would have to say that using Gravol Ginger in combination with the patch works the best! Take them both the night before, and keep it up all day. It works real good, the only drawback is the ginger burps. I don't recommend the regular gravol or any of the other meds as they usually make you drowsy.
cheers,
MK

IndianHeadCamp
02-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Hey Buddy, I have been twice. Ask to fish the bait ball, and you will see Wales, Wildlife and hook up with lots of striped, and see them everywhere. Make sure you dont neglect trolling for dorado and also you can even cast live bait at marlin if its rough they surf in the waves throw a life fish in front of them and wammmo!! Have fun

Mike

trigger
02-23-2010, 08:43 PM
i was just down in cabo feb 1 to 15 i talked to a lot of guys at the marina they all wanted lots of cash go to the mega store in san jose talk to a guy named HONEST NICK wearing one of the orange shirts at the front of the store were they book adventure trips hey HOOKED ME UP 7hours 4 guys bait and licenses included 28 foot boat $400 very good deal i caught 2 durado and a marlin just over 9 feet 180 lbs if you can get the captain named CARLOS and his son CARLO they were amazing the marlin were very slow last week five minutes after i landed mine they almost had a second one hooked for us trip of a life time
if you do see honest nick tell him JIM from BC sent you and you want a good deal or you'll sqeeze his neck haha he is a great guy
all the best hope to see some great pics

sheepslam
02-23-2010, 09:45 PM
just got back fr cabo today,me and my 2 brothers were down there and fished for 2 days,we caught 3 striped marlin 2 were 111",we booked with PISCES,they were very honest and when we booked we told them marlin or shark and they staight out told us our chances were slim right now,we booked anyways and it payed off,good guides that worked hard and actually surprised me with how hard they worked

ice
02-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Cant say much on the deep sea fishing except that they do the fishing for you until the fish on the line.
I got a Huge blue marlin.
And man what a fight.
Was Worth it!