PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Wicket?

DarkAisling
02-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Has anyone made a measuring wicket for fish? If so, can you share pics, a materials list, and how you put it together?

I don't like using a tape measure. I find it difficult to get a good measurement.

A pike went back in the water yesterday that was probably big enough (by 0.5 cm) to wind up on the dinner table, but with the measurement being that close I didn't want to risk it.

DoubleA-Ron
02-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I dont know what a wicket is, but what i use is a 5 inch diam. 100cm long piece of PVC piping with an end cap on one end, and two holes cut it the pipe big enough to fit fish in and out of. inside of the tube get one of those measuring tape stickers that fish and wild life hand out and place the 0 cm end on the end with the cap. now you can quickly and easily measure a fish ( if its too big to fit in the tube its big enough lol) and the tube also keeps the fish from flipping around, all the parts cost about 10-20 dollars depending of where you get them from.

Good fishing.

DarkAisling
02-14-2010, 12:27 PM
A wicket is a device typically used in dog shows to measure the shoulder height of the dog. I used the term "wicket" as I couldn't think of a better one to use. :)

Your measuring device sounds like a good one. It would solve a couple of the problems I'm having. I'm having a hard time visualizing it though. Are you cutting a lengthwise strip out of the pipe, so that you can see the entire length of the measuring tape sticker?

firegod74
02-14-2010, 12:32 PM
I dont know what a wicket is, but what i use is a 5 inch diam. 100cm long piece of PVC piping with an end cap on one end, and two holes cut it the pipe big enough to fit fish in and out of. inside of the tube get one of those measuring tape stickers that fish and wild life hand out and place the 0 cm end on the end with the cap. now you can quickly and easily measure a fish ( if its too big to fit in the tube its big enough lol) and the tube also keeps the fish from flipping around, all the parts cost about 10-20 dollars depending of where you get them from.

Good fishing.

I like it! I think I know what my next project is now.

chuck0039
02-14-2010, 12:39 PM
i have used an old pcs of pvc eavestrough with two end caps with the measuring board glued on the bottom.

DoubleA-Ron
02-14-2010, 01:38 PM
the holes are length wise but not the entire length of the pipe, I am at work right now so I can't get a picture and up load it, sorry you'll have to just try and visualize it

DarkAisling
02-14-2010, 01:45 PM
the holes are length wise but not the entire length of the pipe, I am at work right now so I can't get a picture and up load it, sorry you'll have to just try and visualize it

Cool :) Hubby and I were chatting about it, and I think we've got it all figured out.

Mayhem
02-14-2010, 02:58 PM
A wicket is a device typically used in dog shows to measure the shoulder height of the dog. I used the term "wicket" as I couldn't think of a better one to use. :)

Your measuring device sounds like a good one. It would solve a couple of the problems I'm having. I'm having a hard time visualizing it though. Are you cutting a lengthwise strip out of the pipe, so that you can see the entire length of the measuring tape sticker?

I just call it the Fish-O-Meter.

fishstix
02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
i have whats called a measure net. You can see it at www.thefishinhole.com
Its pretty easy to use. The center of the net is marked zero inches. It is numbered out from there both ways. Scoop your fish into the net. Read the number at the head and then the tail and add the two together for your total length.
Using a measure tape isnt accurate. the tape dosent follow along the fish and will lead to inaccurate readings.
As fishers we already have enough to lug around. Why carry any sort of tube to measure when you can do it with your net?

Fishstix!!

DarkAisling
02-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Why carry any sort of tube to measure when you can do it with your net?

I don't carry a net ice fishing, so a net would be an extra piece of gear too. :p

I've seen what you're talking about, and they're very cool. A net like that is on my spring/summer fishing wish list.

The Anvil
02-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Not really the smallest contraption, but I thought it was a real good idea.:wave:
It is exactly 1 meter and there is a meter stick on the inside. It can hold a pretty decent sized pike as the 93cm monster caught two years ago at the Rumwal Ice fishing Derby.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/IceAnvil/Derby%20at%20Wabamun%20Rumwal/37.jpg

GummyMonster
02-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Morning,
I have been using a soft sewing tape measure.Obviously it doesn't hold the fish, but it rolls up small and follows the fishes contours for length or girth if you want.
Hmmm. Just came up with a thought I will have to try.I am going to tape it to my lip grabber style electronic scale, that way the gripper holds the fish,you get a weight and a length with not to much fuss.(have to see if it works.)
Have a good day, eh!
:DKen:D

Hooked07
02-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Been having the same issue/problems measuring fish and came across a 60" Magnum Folding Ruler at Wholesale Sports Edmonton yesterday. Cost was $13.99, the whole thing folds up including the lip and is perfect to carry in your ice fishing bucket. Very affordable and good design, go get it!