PDA

View Full Version : FREE FISHING WEEKEND- How was it?

Ken07AOVette
02-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Went out today, and NAFTA.

I iced 1 trout, only 1 we saw. A few small perch were pulled out, but noting was real agressive. had the new camera out which made it more fun and annoying, ooh look there is a fish, soon changed to wth isn't he biting!!!

Dilberry was slow all weekend, I talked to other guys, same thing.

Geezle
02-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Went out today, and NAFTA.

I iced 1 trout, only 1 we saw. A few small perch were pulled out, but noting was real agressive. had the new camera out which made it more fun and annoying, ooh look there is a fish, soon changed to wth isn't he biting!!!

Dilberry was slow all weekend, I talked to other guys, same thing.
Sucks it was a slow day out there. Who went with ya? :)

And how does that auger work now that you've got new blades on it? :cool:

Ken07AOVette
02-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Ron and Steve, and I havent got new blades for it yet, still on the way. We used the 8" which is like cutting butter with a chainsaw :lol:

Geezle
02-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Ron and Steve, and I havent got new blades for it yet, still on the way. We used the 8" which is like cutting butter with a chainsaw :lol:

Glad the 8" was big enough for those monsters! :lol:

kodiakken
02-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Gull
Seen a few on the camera.:)
Couldn't buy a bite.:mad2:

Ken.:wave:

fluxcore
02-14-2010, 06:02 PM
I was in the hat and fished rattle snake for a day with George1979, caught some big pike and lots of tiny perch. Worst part of the trip I lost my favorite rod down the hole to a fish:o.

DaveFish
02-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Caught afew big jacks at Wab, and nothing at Chickakoo

baitfisher83
02-14-2010, 09:23 PM
went to PCR today, only two bites...landed a small burb....hopin to get out tomorrow but isnt lookin good

ericlin0122
02-14-2010, 11:45 PM
went PCR today. 4pm-9pm at the boat launch.
Landed 4 walleye and 6 burbot + lots of bites

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-14-2010, 11:58 PM
I attended the Cancelled Version of the Rumwal Fishing Tournament .

As Always was a great time , with a great group of people , for a great cause . Meet a few Fellow AO Members .

Best Part of the day Was the Fact I could of launched my BOAT , DROOOL . I was set to take the baitcaster , and a spinner and Cast off the Pier . Watched a group of 3 drag a 12 ft Aluminum , boat , I dont think they had a motor , just paddles , but DAMN TO BE OPEN WATER FISHING :love::love::love::love::love::love:

The Anvil
02-15-2010, 01:52 AM
I attended the Cancelled Version of the Rumwal Fishing Tournament .

As Always was a great time , with a great group of people , for a great cause . Meet a few Fellow AO Members .

Best Part of the day Was the Fact I could of launched my BOAT , DROOOL . I was set to take the baitcaster , and a spinner and Cast off the Pier . Watched a group of 3 drag a 12 ft Aluminum , boat , I dont think they had a motor , just paddles , but DAMN TO BE OPEN WATER FISHING :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Are you talking about these people, i was just thinking to myself I wish I had a small row boat right about now, 20 mins later this fellow shows up.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/IceAnvil/RumwalAdventuresFeb142010034.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/IceAnvil/RumwalAdventuresFeb142010035.jpg

Bet they had some fun.

DarkAisling
02-15-2010, 07:07 AM
We got out for four hours or so . . . caught two but only actually landed one. The best part was that my other-half actually came with us and enjoyed himself :) Oh, and I caught my first pike on a rod and reel (only successful on a tip-up before).

bucktaker
02-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Went to badger sunday caught 3 pike no size. Seen a few whites on the camera no takers. Glad to provide the live entertainment on setting up the clam cabin summit tent i bought saturday(hard bottom):ashamed::ashamed:. That thing is tough to setup in a wind storm by yourself. Come to think of it taking it down was also fun, it kept inflating :lol::lol:

BlackHeart
02-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Went to Isle lake. SLOOOOOOOOW. Only two bites, nothing all day. Never had it so slow in a long time.

baitfisher83
02-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Went to Isle lake. SLOOOOOOOOW. Only two bites, nothing all day. Never had it so slow in a long time.

Seems like it's slow everywhere the last couple weeks.....I'm sure most lakes will be packed today

icecap
02-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Cold lake was fairly steady for this time of year. Hooked probably 15 fish in two days landed 7. Only 2 or 3 were above 65 but did get one at just about 80 and 12.5 pounds. Both friends also caught a few fish and we all went home with one each. Did manage to hook the biggest fish of my life, played it for a few minutes and after a few good runs( 30-40 feet) I lost it. Judging from the biggest fish I landed I would estimate 20+. Great weekend of fishing though and mabye next time I will get my monster.

tacklerunner
02-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Seems like it's slow everywhere the last couple weeks.....I'm sure most lakes will be packed today

Looks like 4 of us on Clear. Landed 2 outta 3. Just keepers but they went back. Now not a nibble in last hour.

lakerman
02-15-2010, 01:44 PM
well hit wab,checked out the town side,lots of open water,didn't have the b*lls to go on there,but one guy drove on and fished that little hut that was ready to go under,another dude was on the otherside of the open water,scary just watching it all, so tried another spot 2 dudes started acting funny when I showed up, one picks up the garbage bag starts walking away from me briskly and an approx. 10lber flops out, at least one other in the bag and they stash the fish, go and talk to the other dude(twice my size) tell him its a catch and release only lake, they both high tale it out, of course no cell to call them in and no one around, fish cops show up 45min later, I saw only 1 whitefish,hundreds of perch 5 inches or less landed 2 pike one was 11lbs, all released.Every time I go out there someones keeping fish, wake up gov't and hire more co's and bigger fines.ps.ontario plates were those breaking the law this time!

alacringa
02-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Hit McGregor 9-12:30 last night, nothing. Slept in truck, got up at 7, fished until just after 11. Two decent walleye (18" and 20") -- first time catching walleye through the ice. They both hit between 8:30 and 8:45, and there was only one other bite all morning.

DustDee
02-15-2010, 02:30 PM
One small trout on Saturday. Got skunked today huntin' pike.

javlin101
02-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Went out for the first time in 20 years Ice Fish with my new tent, auger & gear. Friday not even a nibble, talked to the resident fish expert at my lake. Saturday went out for an hour or so. Kinda funny cause still trying to get everything setup correctly (like I said first time out since I was a kid) & drop my line in & perch start hitting right away. Little buggers wouldn't let me even light a smoke. Got 5 keepers for a treat at supper.

I am hooked now, great now I want to buy more gear.

Cheers

drhook
02-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Did Keho on Saturday landed 9 jacks only 2 were over 4lbs though. Must of lost at least 20. I've never seen so many heads ripped off my smelts with only being left with the tail. Sonar was marking a lot of fish starting to move around again.

Sunday late afternoon fish at Stafford, only landed 2 (both small) with maybe 5 or 6 bites. Fish seem to be taking bait lightly and running as soon as I tease them they just leave.

Ken07AOVette
02-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Went to Poplar this morning, which is an easy 200 jack lake per day in summer, without any exaggeration, and NAFTA, not even 1 on the camera, in water anywhere form 4' to 35'.

Moved to Angling lake, and same story there. NAFTA.

Bad day to happen, I took my son in the hopes that he would finally have some fun on the ice. Next time.

Buck Krazy
02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
AWESOME... Went east of Calgary Friday and Saturday... Between me and Duster iced around 12 pike- average 27", largest probably around 33.... Went south of Calgary today, iced atleast 20 pike between 3 of us.. Average 30", smallest was 25 largest was 35. Only kept 2 pike all weekend- 25" and 26".... Both lakes see little angling pressure and hold little water so my lips are sealed...:wave:

Ken07AOVette
02-15-2010, 08:24 PM
AWESOME... Went east of Calgary Friday and Saturday... Between me and Duster iced around 12 pike- average 27", largest probably around 33.... Went south of Calgary today, iced atleast 20 pike between 3 of us.. Average 30", smallest was 25 largest was 35. Only kept 2 pike all weekend- 25" and 26".... Both lakes see little angling pressure and hold little water so my lips are sealed...:wave:

Nice that you had luck, but not cool that you think you have to keep it secret. I know the 'rule' about keeping your hunting/fishing honey spot secret, but still not cool.

Buck Krazy
02-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Just don't want a repeat of what happened to Clear, spend time driving canals, looking at maps, these spots are not that hard to find... I am happy to share advice on larger lakes such as Travers or Macgregor- but only because they can handle the fishing pressure..

BK

FishBrain
02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
We managed to ice 4 Lake trout on spray today.
1st was about 11" and he enjoyed going home, the other 3 were, 14", 17", 15" respectively. There for the day.
Shortly after arriving a group of two left, and apparently they were limited out. Another group got a small one and three oldguys got 2. Lots of bites, and some lost fish, steady action all day. Wouldn't change a thing.
OH and it was my brothers first time ice fishing since Ontario when we were kids, he caught the 17"

braxxtonn
02-15-2010, 10:28 PM
went out to grassy today , tried a new spot out caught 1 tiny perch , then went to my lil honey hole , landed 4 pretty big perch and 2 smaller walleye and one roughly 6 pound jack, they were biting good first thing in the morning then around 9 am nothing was biting , then around 2 caught one jack , then shut her down , wish i would of stayed till dark to do some serious walleye hunting!!

Commander B
02-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Sat went to chain (longview) with 5 guys and their sons or daughters had 15 by 12:30 then nothing . Shelburne today 10 decent perch but all the action in about an hours time fished 9 to 6.

DeanP
02-16-2010, 08:07 AM
It was an excellent weekend of fishing. Landed 5, lost two. Biggest being 32", 12lbs.
I don't know if it was how I was jigging or because I just got a fish finder!:)
The finder was a little slow in the morning due to the temps, but as it warmed up, it was excellent. I brought my hook up to the fish on the screen and bamm!
I did notice in the morning, 830-930ish, that they were chasing baitfish and then after that the screen went blank. Only way to bring them in was to bang the bait off of the bottom.
Too bad I have something else going on next weekend!:(

BTW This was at Cold Lake; Garnet beach area. I used a 2oz bionic bucktail with half an anchovie.

marlin4570
02-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Went out to Emerald lake in the Pass on monday with 2 friends, Caught 6 small lake trout. Biggest about 12" but was great to be out. Watched fish on the camera most of the day just werent biting. Also seen a huge bull swim by, was exciting to see. Also seen about a dozen ewe sheep and lambs on the edge of the lake. Great time with good friends!

diamonddave
02-16-2010, 10:18 AM
We took the familly out to Jackfish and had an awsome time. Had the entire lake to ourselves. Even had the old man seriously ask me if we booked the lake in advance:lol: Caught lots, lost even more but the smiles were what kept me entertained all weekend. This weekend will go down in memory as one of the best!
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/diamonddave_photos/fishing%20pics/ValentinesDayandFamilyDay2010044.jpg
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/diamonddave_photos/fishing%20pics/ValentinesDayandFamilyDay2010038.jpg
The local wardens stoped by for a visit and had a great chat. They checked out everyone of our rigs and did their job but were very nice about it, very professional.
They were a little surprised that we were by the book and one even asked my 7 yr old daughter if she knew what they were looking for. He did a double take when she answered " ummmm for barbless hooks?" She made me pretty proud. Goes to show that sometimes the rugratts pay attention when you are trying to teach them something.

Morph1
02-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Horrible weekend !!!,
went through the ice in 5 ft of water the entire truck side dropped suspended on skid plates sitting on the edge of ice, got out to examine went through up to my chest, after 5 hours of hustle we got the truck out fortunately !!!! in one piece with only one tinny 3/8" round dent in the driver side doors....,
what an experience.... never forget that ,it was the first time for me..,
good advice do not drive next to beaver dams... 1 foot over and we would've been ok, 1 foot out and there was only 2" of ice.

Cheers all !!!

diamonddave
02-16-2010, 11:20 AM
:sick::sick: That makes me sick just thinking about it. We had 2 adults, 4 kids, 2dogs, and everything including the kitchen Table in the Dakota this weekend. I hate to think about what would happen if we ever broke threw the ice. Im glad to hear you made out ok and everyone was safe, even if a little cold and wet. It could have been worse for sure.

steveo955
02-16-2010, 11:24 AM
wow! where was that morph1? your lucky it worked out.

dollfin
02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
We were at Mcgregor on Sunday, got skunked, :( the wind was brutal out there again! Won't be going back there until open water time!

The Anvil
02-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Got out for some good times this weekend.
Hung out with some good fishing buddies, had many a laughs and some good eats courtesy of Rumtan.

I managaged to get three lakes in this weekend with just a few fish.

Wabamun caught this pike on a Gold Kastmaster while perching in Fallis on Saturday.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/IceAnvil/RumwalAdventuresFeb142010002.jpg

Got skunked at Lake Isle. <--- now on my hit list.

Managed a great day at Wizard with 7 fish on the ice and just as many or more lost due to bad hooksets. they were just mouthing the bait,

Wizard lake pike.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/IceAnvil/SSA53325.jpg

Both release for another day!

Morph good to see you still around man, Always scary to hear of incidents like yours over the weekend.

Stay safe everyone.

Ken07AOVette
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
That must have been a scary fight, it blew your scalp and red hair right down to your cheeks!!!

The Anvil
02-16-2010, 05:47 PM
That must have been a scary fight, it blew your scalp and red hair right down to your cheeks!!!

Now now.. I'm a Blondy. Always was and always will be.

Just the beard is red.

I am a "Two-Toned" freak of nature
See

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/IceAnvil/Chef%20Anvil/beard.jpg

Ken07AOVette
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Now now.. I'm a Blondy. Always was and always will be.

Just the beard is red.

I am a "Two-Toned" freak of nature
See

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/IceAnvil/Chef%20Anvil/beard.jpg

hehe brings whole new meaning to drapes matching the carpet , huh? :lol:

Walleyes
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
FREE WEEKEND ????

Gas to get to the lake = $80.00
Bait = $20.00
Bagged lunch for 3 = $30.00
Couple extra hooks fron C.T. = $20.00
Total pirice of free weekend $150.00 for the day !!

But eh the price for some not being raped out of $25.00 from our government for a licence to catch what is the peoples in the first place = Priceless !!!

fluxcore
02-16-2010, 06:45 PM
FREE WEEKEND ????

Bait = $20.00

But eh the price for some not being raped out of $25.00 from our government for a licence to catch what is the peoples in the first place = Priceless !!!

No Anvil's beard is priceless yours looks like money well spent on a good time;)

Ken07AOVette
02-16-2010, 06:57 PM
FREE WEEKEND ????

Bait = $20.00

I CAN BEAT THAT!

for this weekend:

trip to Edmonton to buy fishing gear;
Gas $80.00
hotel $110.00
1 meal at Moxies $100.00
Quad 4 fish cam $519.00 +tax
rod, reel, line, acc $350.00
waste of an hour driving to Reel Doctor to be there before 12:30 and he was closed!!! :mad3::mad2::mad::huh: $20.00 gas
bait $15.00
gas to lake, next lake, return 200 mile day $80.00

and NOTHING!!!!

Had I caught a 2" perch he would have been worth $1300.00

Taking son out for a long day of catching absolutely nothing, setting up 4 times on 2 different lakes, totally dissapointing for him. Not priceless.

The next trip will be better, if I can get him out after that train wreck.

wildman
02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Great day at slave on Saturday!!!
Dozens of eyes and pike
Easy limits of each
Eyes to 60cm, pike to 7lbs
A buddy went later in the weekend and only got a few
Sporatic results everywhere last weekend
Cheers, gw

alacringa
02-16-2010, 08:07 PM

Well...I figure I pay the $25, or $27, or whatever it was, to fish the rest of the year. This past weekend, I would have been fishing anyways..."free" day or otherwise. $100 or $150 on gas, bait, lunch, etc. is no worry.

dollfin -- whereabouts were you @ McG?

The Anvil
02-16-2010, 08:07 PM
hehe brings whole new meaning to drapes matching the carpet , huh? :lol:

OMG lol! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

DNORTHERNSNIPER
02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Check out my posts and pics from Wabanum.

We were the crazies :lol: who had the 2 boats out there slayin the monster pike!!

Wicked place for catch and release of huge monsters hope they keep it that way for a few more years.... :love::love::love::love:

Geezle
02-16-2010, 09:14 PM
OMG lol! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know! I didn't even want to touch that one! :lol::lol::lol:

dollfin
02-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi alacringa,
We drove our red Gmc onto the ice from the boat ramp and fished along the shore. We moved three times and saw nothing. Lots of work when you have a hand powered auger and have to screw in the tent pegs in that blistering wind!(We have a four man black tent) We stayed until 5:30pm. This was our second time out there with that wicked wind. The truck thermometer showed plus 1 out, but that windchill sucked! Where were you fishing? How did you make out? I think we'll go out again on Sat. but somewhere else for sure!:wave:

alacringa
02-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Hi alacringa,
We drove our red Gmc onto the ice from the boat ramp and fished along the shore. We moved three times and saw nothing. Lots of work when you have a hand powered auger and have to screw in the tent pegs in that blistering wind!(We have a four man black tent) We stayed until 5:30pm. This was our second time out there with that wicked wind. The truck thermometer showed plus 1 out, but that windchill sucked! Where were you fishing? How did you make out? I think we'll go out again on Sat. but somewhere else for sure!:wave:

Towards the East end of the North Dam. Caught 2 Walleye between 8:30 and 8:45 on a whitefish setup (wireworm + maggot), and one bite around 10:00. That was it. I hand-drill as well, but don't bother with a tent. Last time I went, about 2 weeks ago, I got nothing.

catdiggler
02-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I agree..compliance is bad...need more co's...wake up stelmach...fish poaching is rampant.

WayneChristie
02-17-2010, 07:34 PM
great fishing, lousy catching. Got out with my son on the ice for the first time ever, he beat me on the pike Saturday, I whupped his butt with the perch Sunday. all in all a great weekend.