PDA

View Full Version : Got Into First Lakers!

packhuntr
02-15-2010, 03:38 PM
First time chasing lakers, have waited years to take that baby off my list of Ab species. We took an offer from a great guy up in St Paul, and its a trip we wont be forgetting any time soon. If you happen to read this, you know who you are. Thank you to both you and your wife for the hospitality, a trip of a lifetime! My Brother and I went up for what would be 2 and a half days of fishing. Got into lakers and pretty much stayed in them the whole time, albeit it sounded like it was abit slower than what could normally be expected. I had a pretty rough go out there, managed to smoke a brand new Corvalus reel on its second fish?? and only managed 3 on the trip. I stayed a cold rod pretty much the entire trip. Little bro and our host were in the middle of them the whole time it seemed, but thats huntin!!??? As tough as it was being a cold rod, while kicking myself around a little for missing a couple hits I did manage the best fish of the trip. Thought I might share afew photos. They are a very pretty fish, strong too! Pretty special species and we are lucky to have the opportunity to be able to chase them in home water.

gramps73
02-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Some great looking lakes Pack, congrats on what sounds like a great trip
g

go-big-or-go-home
02-15-2010, 04:50 PM
those are sum wicked lookin fish buddy, congrats on the good score. that last pic is awsome, should be used in a travel alberta or fish alberta mag or sumthin, or it it was me id frame it lol.

Gumbi
02-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Nice fish!

Drop_Tine
02-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Wow Wes!!!! hopefully you can keep that luck up for the walleye tournaments ....some awesome fish you got there.:love:

icefisher11
02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Awesome fish man, What lake were ya at?

Walleyes
02-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Good stuff Pack,, great looking fish.. They are a pretty darn nice fish to catch..

packhuntr
02-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks boys, still pretty stoked up about the entire trip! We were on Cold Lake, Icefisher11. You know that lake good Walleyes if memory serves me? Some pretty good ones in there I hear, but it sounds like open water is the time to get after them? The orange color on the trailing edge of all the fins is spectacular, and the vermiculation is beautiful, not unlike a brookie. Just a great fish. Seeing that first one come up after starting it up the hole was worth all those years of waiting, thats for sure!

After seeing my rod go cold to the extent it did Jason, Im not holding my breath come Trail time!:lol: I started the deal saying, and I quote, "I feel like I have hot hands boys!" Ya, guess what, the sh*t hit the fan, and it didnt shut off. I will be singing a completely different song come open water this year.:lol:

catnthehat
02-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks boys, still pretty stoked up about the entire trip! We were on Cold Lake, Icefisher11. You know that lake good Walleyes if memory serves me? Some pretty good ones in there I hear, but it sounds like open water is the time to get after them? The orange color on the trailing edge of all the fins is spectacular, and the vermiculation is beautiful, not unlike a brookie. Just a great fish. Seeing that first one come up after starting it up the hole was worth all those years of waiting, thats for sure!
Great looking fish packhuntr!
I love fishing for lakers, but I do mine in the spring or fall on open water.
Tried ice fishing a few times, just not my bag!:o
Cat

Rockymtnx
02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Congrats on some great looking lakers Pack.
Job well done!

billwminnow
02-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Some beautys how far from St Paul thats near vermilion right?

troller
02-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Great pics pack, thanks for sharing!

DeanP
02-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Excellent photos and glad you had a great time! We love our lake!:)

rustynailz
02-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Awesome pics...especially that third one.

zabbo
02-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Great looking fish!!

Gotta try those sometime!!

AxiALe
02-16-2010, 08:59 AM
right on looks like a good time and some nice looking fish congrats

trevpil
02-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Wes!! Awesome pics!! Very happy for both of you. You deserve it for the great effort you both put in. This is Trev here. I met you on the lake that day you caught those monsters. Missed you and J at the poker game. I don't think GP knows how to use a computer but I will pass along your "thanks".
Next year, we will get you guys up a month earlier and have alot of fun.
Lots of other good fishin' around the area as well. Take care.

Walleyes
02-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Some beautys how far from St Paul thats near vermilion right?

Its a big lake and on the map you can't miss it,, just do a little research on your own you will find it..

ULTRAlite
02-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Great looking fish, I'm sure it was a blast!