PDA

View Full Version : C.V/C.O in the drink *THIN ICE*

swishsmurf
02-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Well i was out on Crawling Valley res yesterday it was cold and windy, and the fishing was slow however i managed to snagg a few photos worth sharing and a warning/heads up for anyone heading out on the ice. I was on the ice fishing away when i noticed the C.O headed in our direction, upon his arrival i questioned him if he gets nervous driving across the middle of the lake like he did, he assured me that the ice is fine and as long as you don't travel too quick creating waves there is not a huge risk but warned us about newell, he checked our hooks, with great confidence i pulled up my line only to realize while fishing with my sister and her friends the previous day they had baited a barbed hook which was put into the my bait bag with hook concealed by sardine,:huh: my other line was pinched, I blamed my sister:tongue2: ha ha he gave me a warning, i sat in my truck and pinched every single hook i have in my tackle box, an hour later while checking my lines again i hear a voice behind me i look around and see the same C.O ....i thought what a sneaky bugger, i tell him he is just in time cause i just finished pinching every barb...he stopped me and said in exchange for the warning he would like to use my phone he was out of breath and looked uneasy, i asked if everything was ok he told us his truck was in the lake and he managed to crawl through the window. He said he was on his phone calling for help when it slipped from his hand and also went into the lake:confused:, he called for help and thanked us. We tried to offer him a lift but he refused??? Maybe to avoid the pictures:evilgrin: and embarassment. i am goin to put these pictures up with their faces concealed out of respect for the warning:evilgrin: BE Careful out there....The C.O said i may have jinxed him by questioning his travels across the lake, He spoke in confidence about the ice being safe...When asked about ice by anybody i use words like..it might be...its up to yourself...whatta ever your comfortable with... roll your windows down...are you covered...and my favorite saying as i drive onto the ice has to be...TOYOTA RECALL THIS :evilgrin:

AdAMxr
02-15-2010, 05:10 PM
wow, thats crazy! nice to see you blurred out the faces too

Geezle
02-15-2010, 05:13 PM
That's a good warning...glad to see he made it out with only his pride hurt.

I wouldn't say you jinxed him either, that ice looks pretty thin!

marlin1
02-15-2010, 05:21 PM
wow , we were at the north end sunday and it was pretty thick up there , that was the south end right?

whitetail Junkie
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I hate Driveing on the ice

jimbo79
02-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Sure have to be careful! I'm glad he was ok!

tchow
02-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Glad to hear that he was not hurt. Where abouts on the Lake did he go thru? Looks like the North end to me...

jts1
02-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Good that no one got hurt or worse. But how ever when I seen the pics I have got to admit I smirked a lil :evilgrin:

packhuntr
02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Thats some hard luck. Im pretty sure the officer that did it will be reading this one sooner or later!;) And if ya dont get to see that your famous, Im gonna let ya know!!:lol:

ericlin0122
02-15-2010, 06:17 PM
This thread remind me of this http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=51076&highlight=insurance

bucktaker
02-15-2010, 06:59 PM
glad he alright. what would he be driving threw that canal for? moving water? just a guess. no other tracks, no test hole? Does that mean licence fees are going up :evilgrin:

hunter49
02-15-2010, 07:10 PM
poor poor cummins :(

Albertadiver
02-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow... glad it wasn't that deep there, and the CO got out safely.

Shallow water seems to be a place where there is often bad ice. Closer to warm springs or flowing water etc.

Thanks for the heads up!

nevercatchmuch
02-15-2010, 07:47 PM
it's kind of you to blur the faces and keep the message a bit humorous, with the safety focus

walking buffalo
02-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the post. Good pictures, great reminder. Best of all, No officers were hurt in the producton of this message.

I recognize the guy on the left, I thought you said you were going to cover his face? :lol:

Jimboy
02-15-2010, 08:51 PM
With them white faces they look like bank robbers:lol: , glad everyones ok

kinwahkly
02-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Wheres the truck in the last picture? did it go down? what was he doing driving in the canal? no tracks , he wasnt very diligent on driving on the ice

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Oh boy not good , Glad them Fella's were OK . I sapose they were able to get another truck and winch them out . Or did you watch it all go down . I think for the Respect of the Officers , good for you for blocking there faces out .

Its getting to be the time of year where Ice is getting Questionable , especially with the Current High winds we've been having and Warm Tempatures .

nimrod
02-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Laugh laugh, glad no one was hurt, but our taxes just went up, note to self don't buy a white truck at the auction.

cujo1969
02-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Glad hes ok. Them backbays on cv are bad for thin ice looks familiar the spot. No ice 100% safe just gotta be smart.

ctd
02-15-2010, 11:42 PM
that truck will be running for years to come, a diff, tranny and axle fluid changes and it will be all good.

slingshotz
02-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Wow, that's freaky, we just came back from CV tonight and the ice was a good 3 feet everywhere we drilled. I have driven through the bays between islands before at CV but seeing this I'll never do that again.

Thanks for the heads up.

riderpride55
02-16-2010, 06:15 AM
we fished @ cv yesterday, kept 7 good sized pike, Ice was thick .

Hosehead
02-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Good to see they are making good use of my tax dollars. They almost look proud in the one where they are taking a picture of themselves in front of the hole. He should have known better. Most fishermen, nevermind CO's, know that CV has lots of dangerous areas with thin ice.

riderpride55
02-16-2010, 08:03 AM
watch out now, they are going to be out there is full force. issuing tickets, to pay fro the recovery and repair of the truck
:lol:

trainerdave
02-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Glad everybody is fine...hey now...looks like there is a spot to launch the boat. Who needs to drive to lake Wabumun. Hope I don't bend the prop on his roof. Did they get our (we bought it) truck out?

The Fisherman Guy
02-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Geesus, the white faced big brother will consume your soul!

Glad no one was hurt. Thanks for posting these pics, it helps to bring awareness that it can happen to anyone.

Be safe out there guys.

marlin1
02-16-2010, 09:51 AM
so anyone actually know where on the lake this was ? I was driving around islands on sunday but may not be doing that anymore for the rest of the year

BowhuntAB
02-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Geesus, the white faced big brother will consume your soul!

Glad no one was hurt. Thanks for posting these pics, it helps to bring awareness that it can happen to anyone.

Be safe out there guys.

Hahaha...yeah the faces are kinda freeky!

Its like Slipknot gone fishing!:lol:

Hooker
02-16-2010, 12:51 PM
That was an interesting day you had there Swishsmurf. Without giving away any of your favorite spots how about telling everyone what part of the lake had the weak ice? I have an idea but there aren't any landmarks to go by and in the snow all islands look pretty much alike.

Thanks, Hooker

Walleyes
02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
The worst place to travel on a lake is close to shore in the shallows and in between islands.. If you are going to have thin spots thats where they will be. Good lesson for all. The deeper the better for ice..

Perchfisher
02-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Seeing as how it was a Dodge it should be catch and release

Walleyes
02-16-2010, 04:15 PM
He should be fined for littering ( dropped cell phone ) Also for polluting ( can't tell me that Dodge wasn't leaking oil out of someplace). Hey a law is a law no exceptions right.. They don't make em they just follow them :innocent: :innocent:

The Elkster
02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately the thousands that may need to go into fixing that truck will be taken from conservation monies dohhh :( Glad he got out but after just being warned....hmmmm

J-C
02-16-2010, 08:23 PM
oh no its not even halloween and michael myers is out at crawling valley. worst of all there's more than one! its good to hear they got out safe tho.

swishsmurf
02-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Just to clear up some of the questions the old dodge never missed a beat it ran the whole time, they managed to chop and break up the ice and use another truck with a winch to haul it out, the area was not far from the red rock launch.

dodger
02-17-2010, 05:06 AM
The worst place to travel on a lake is close to shore in the shallows and in between islands.. If you are going to have thin spots thats where they will be. Good lesson for all. The deeper the better for ice..

What a " Catch 22 ", if you drive on the deeper parts with technically better ice and go threw your living with the fishies, or you drive the shore with higher odds of breaking threw but you walk away to fish another day.

I have broken threw the ice in a truck and there was no warning it crashed threw instantly to the window level. The older person driving and myself had time to roll down the window and climb out before it sunk and stopped at roof level. If I have to go on the ice I personally drive the shoreline with 2 tires on the shore. If I go threw again liked I mentioned at least I walk away.

Dodger.

Hooker
02-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm still waiting to hear if this happened in the south islands or the north islands.

tacklerunner
02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
i'm still waiting to hear if this happened in the south islands or the north islands.

just to clear up some of the questions the old dodge never missed a beat it ran the whole time, they managed to chop and break up the ice and use another truck with a winch to haul it out, the area was not far from the red rock launch.

fyi

riderpride55
02-17-2010, 11:37 AM
so was it on the west side of the lake not far from red rock road? or the east side? stright across the lake from red rock road? the east side makes more sense.

Hooker
02-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks Tacklerunner for trying to clear up the location BUT if you are not from the area the name of a boat launch or a road (Red Rock launch or Red Rock road) doesn't help much. I know the launch by the campground and I know there is a boat launch in the islands on the east side of the lake east of the camground. I know there are some islands up on the west side of the lake so this is where I would like some help. I sure don't want to be driving into an unsafe area. I know a good 'rule of thumb' is that if there are vehicle tracks that don't end abruptly it's usually safe to follow them.

marlin1
02-17-2010, 05:35 PM
not always true , you or I could be the first one through:)

Savage270
02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
The only thing I ever saw back in where he went through is beavers and muskrats. Never have caught anything in there. At least he was in a good place to get out.

marlin1
02-18-2010, 02:45 PM
So I am thinking he was on the west side somewhere close to the red rock access, I thought my auger was going to bottom out that weekend :confused:

riderpride55
02-18-2010, 03:27 PM
I did bottom out the auger @ red rock road checking the ice. there was lots of ice.

Paul C
02-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Seeing as how it was a Dodge it should be catch and release
That would be catch and regrease !:evilgrin:

Jimboy
12-30-2010, 05:02 AM
well i was out on crawling valley res yesterday it was cold and windy, and the fishing was slow however i managed to snagg a few photos worth sharing and a warning/heads up for anyone heading out on the ice. I was on the ice fishing away when i noticed the c.o headed in our direction, upon his arrival i questioned him if he gets nervous driving across the middle of the lake like he did, he assured me that the ice is fine and as long as you don't travel too quick creating waves there is not a huge risk but warned us about newell, he checked our hooks, with great confidence i pulled up my line only to realize while fishing with my sister and her friends the previous day they had baited a barbed hook which was put into the my bait bag with hook concealed by sardine,:huh: My other line was pinched, i blamed my sister:tongue2: Ha ha he gave me a warning, i sat in my truck and pinched every single hook i have in my tackle box, an hour later while checking my lines again i hear a voice behind me i look around and see the same c.o ....i thought what a sneaky bugger, i tell him he is just in time cause i just finished pinching every barb...he stopped me and said in exchange for the warning he would like to use my phone he was out of breath and looked uneasy, i asked if everything was ok he told us his truck was in the lake and he managed to crawl through the window. He said he was on his phone calling for help when it slipped from his hand and also went into the lake:confused:, he called for help and thanked us. We tried to offer him a lift but he refused??? Maybe to avoid the pictures:evilgrin: And embarassment. I am goin to put these pictures up with their faces concealed out of respect for the warning:evilgrin: Be careful out there....the c.o said i may have jinxed him by questioning his travels across the lake, he spoke in confidence about the ice being safe...when asked about ice by anybody i use words like..it might be...its up to yourself...whatta ever your comfortable with... Roll your windows down...are you covered...and my favorite saying as i drive onto the ice has to be...toyota recall this :evilgrin:

here is the pics