PDA

View Full Version : My weekend report: Chestemere, Spray and others

nicemustang
02-15-2010, 10:31 PM
:)Since I'm turning thirty tomorrow, I'd though I'd really take advantage of the long weekend, do some fishing. After all, I can't get away with that very often! No way the wife would let me do that any other weekend LOL.

Fished Chestemere saturday afternoon 3-5, caught 4 pike, missed a few others. 2 were nice sized, likely keepers but all were released. Very murky water. I'm not sure how you guys fish pike, but I do this technique. I setup my automatic fisherman with a plain jig and smelt, then jig the crap out of a spoon. Normally I'd use a buckshot, buzzbomb, or sweedish pimple tipped with minnow or smelt. Because of the murky water, I had trouble finding the lure on the camera so I put down a rather large red/white with no bait. Well I'm jigging it trying to setup the camera and BANG! Iced a nice sized pike. Lost it at the hole but I thought that was interesting. After getting the camera lined up, I kept using the red and white without bait. Ended up getting two through the hole with it, and two missed ones as well. And still managed to get two on the dead stick.

Sunday the fisherman guy and myself hit spray. A very slow day, we didn't see many fish in my usual spot. Caught one 17" laker. Had a couple of other bites but nothing exciting. Folks we talked to had same luck, as other mentioned on here. I guess I'll wait until April again when fishing picks up again.

Today went to Sundance with Badback. Lots of other forum members on there. Managed to convince the wife to come along, since the nice weather. We caught 10 perch in the AM, then it died off. Few and far between after 10 am. The wife wanted to go so we missed the hot late afternoon bite, so I'll be waiting to hear how that went.

All in all, a good weekend. Nice weather and doing things I love. Thanks Gibson and Dave for the good times.

baitfisher83
02-15-2010, 10:36 PM
good to hear you had luck this weekend....was really hoping to get out again after Sunday's slow show at PCR...oh well, maybe next Sunday

The Fisherman Guy
02-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey Chris, Happy Birthday man!

Glad you had a chance to fish all weekend, without getting killed. I had some 'splaining' to do when I told the lady that I would be fishing both Saturday and Sunday.

Had a great time out at Spray, despite the slow fishing. I would not mind trying that lake out in the summer, from a boat.

FishBrain
02-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Happy Birthday!!!
We were at Spray on Monday, lots of action, but they seemed to be hitting the bait from the head, we moved the hooks forward and caught a couple. lots of bites but it seemed they just wanted a taste, not the entire smelt.
Was a blast tho