PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else eat squaw fish

bruce44
02-16-2010, 03:35 AM
or northern pikeminnow. As a kid my friends used to make fun of my dad and my family for eating this fish. We found that it greatly resembles a type of fish from the philippines where we came from. Am i the only one that thinks these fish are actually pretty good tasting besides the amount of bones. Then again anyone who has eaten milk fish would know that squawfish has alot less bones.
I also find that these fish get really big and are fun to catch because they fight quite alot. Also in alot of lakes there are no limits so thats always a bonus.

troller
02-16-2010, 07:30 AM
I have not tried that but I will pass on the info to the MIL. Now a question for you, do you like goldeye? I ask because my MIL, also from the Philippines LOVES them because she said it reminds her of a fish she use to eat back home. She is trying to get me to try Balut but I am resisting :lol:

bruce44
02-16-2010, 11:19 AM
balut tastes alot like egg yolk because thats what it mostly is. But when you bite into the embryo it taste like boiled chicken. If i were you i would ask for the least developed eggs. you can get from 3 weeks to 1 week before hatching. Its a gross concept but hey why just eat the egg when you can get the meat along with it. lol its definately an aquired taste. Im filipino and i cant eat that stuff.

troller
02-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the tip :D:sick:

slingshotz
02-16-2010, 11:02 PM
or northern pikeminnow. As a kid my friends used to make fun of my dad and my family for eating this fish. We found that it greatly resembles a type of fish from the philippines where we came from. Am i the only one that thinks these fish are actually pretty good tasting besides the amount of bones. Then again anyone who has eaten milk fish would know that squawfish has alot less bones.
I also find that these fish get really big and are fun to catch because they fight quite alot. Also in alot of lakes there are no limits so thats always a bonus.

I find the meat quite good on them but all the bones get really annoying. What we do is make fish soup from them and strain out the fish. Then add potatoes, carrots and onions. Sometimes we will pick the meat off the fish to put back into the soup.

I talked to a native BC'er (not native as in aborginal) and he said when they used to be kids, families would can the fish and when it was ready all the bones were basically dissolved.

big
02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
eat as much as u can cuz they eat all the salmon

Skinner
02-17-2010, 10:49 AM
What we use to do with squaw fish in B.C when I was a kid was bash them in the head and throw them back for the birds.

3Dshooter
02-17-2010, 11:42 AM
What we use to do with squaw fish in B.C when I was a kid was bash them in the head and throw them back for the birds.

X2

Smack 'em behind the head with a sturdy knife, but not all the way through. Swim bladder keeps them on the surface of the lake and the eagles and gulls feast away! We always kept a dull knife in the boat just for this purpose.

crazyfish
02-17-2010, 12:14 PM
first time i caught one, hust outside prince george on a small lake, i thought i had about a ten # rainbow,:love: i counldn't believe the fight ! on a fly i was yelling and screaming for joy as the fight lasted for close to 5 minutes ! Then this ugly yellow/brownish fish 8.5 pds gets landed and:huh: , all i could say was WTF !:mad2: My friend , a bc res. laughed himself silly ! :lol:Told me what i caught was a squaw fish , i've never hated a fish before that one ! There was no way i was going to eat it ! I almost let him keep the fly !

Then again , there are people who would never even touch a pike ! So if you like eating em....... don't worry what anyone else thinks!

danewfy
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
lol. reminds me of the time i was out with my daughter at a stocked rainbow pond. this guy (new canadian) comes runnin over to me with this sucker asking me if it was a rainbow. i told him that it was an alberta whistle trout, much better than the rainbow, and he went back to his group all excited, happier than a pig in you know what. me and my kid still laugh about it.

truckerman
02-17-2010, 06:54 PM

we did that to when we were kids , then we got older and owned 12 gauges, need I say more.

kurtis kvatum
02-17-2010, 07:33 PM
i will never admit to eating skwa fish but i heard bannok and lard makes your tugeye hard.:evilgrin:

Gumbi
02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
lol. reminds me of the time i was out with my daughter at a stocked rainbow pond. this guy (new canadian) comes runnin over to me with this sucker asking me if it was a rainbow. i told him that it was an alberta whistle trout, much better than the rainbow, and he went back to his group all excited, happier than a pig in you know what. me and my kid still laugh about it.

ha ha thats funny :lol:

bunnyhunter
02-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Was the very first fish I ever caught ice fishing with a piece of cheese. I inststed on eating it, was really good actually.

I grew up in BC, northern squawfish were fun to catch, especially the ones over 5 pounds very strong. Wed only eat the biggest ones, because of the tiny bones....but the meat does taste good.

the rest became fertilzer for the garden~

maximus
02-20-2010, 09:03 AM
early in the post you mention Milk fish. What is the best way to cook a Milk fish?

Predator
02-20-2010, 09:43 AM
At the risk of sounding stupid, I have lived in Alberta all of my life and have never even heard of them. After seeing this thread, I googled it and found that the world record is 13.5 lbs and caught by 2 fellows from Edmonton! Where do we even have squaw fish, and how do you fish for them?

slingshotz
02-20-2010, 04:25 PM
At the risk of sounding stupid, I have lived in Alberta all of my life and have never even heard of them. After seeing this thread, I googled it and found that the world record is 13.5 lbs and caught by 2 fellows from Edmonton! Where do we even have squaw fish, and how do you fish for them?

As far as I know, they do not occur in Alberta, only in BC (and maybe other provinces). They are really easy to catch, they like little shiny things and corn.

cribfisher
02-20-2010, 07:22 PM
They are in the peace river system.

McDeth
02-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Northern Pikeminnow are brutally annoying because you always catch them when you aren't catching anything else. I did however catch a 5 pound largemouth in a Kootenay area lake while reeling in a small squaw. That poor fish got absolutely demolished!

tacklerunner
02-20-2010, 11:56 PM
eat as much as u can cuz they eat all the salmon

They are only in freshwater lakes and rivers in BC. We kill them because they eat kokanee and rainbow trout eggs. Caught hundreds by default. Even 12+ pounders trolling fast for rainbows on big plugs. They have no predators and are controversial; they have a right to live??? but they stunt the population of good fish. In BC freshwater that's the ugliest thing we've seen so when I catch pike and walleye here, never mind burbs all my buddies in BC say they all look like squaws being used to mainly trout.