PDA

View Full Version : Hook sharpening

FishBrain
02-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I was talking with my brother about this yesterday. He asked me if I ever sharpen my hooks? I think he was blaming the fish getting away on dull hooks. Most of my gear is brand new and sharp. Some new stuff is not sharp at all.

SO...do you sharpen your hooks? how?
OR...do you just put them away and buy new when they get dull?
OR...do you not care and just use them till a fish steals it or you lose it?

DarkAisling
02-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Most of the time I don't sharpen my hooks until I get mad at losing fish. I have only ever caught fish on hooks that I've taken the time out to sharpen.

I don't know why I don't just sharpen them when I take them out of the package, especially since I de-barb them. Some sort of malfunction in my head, I guess :o

This is the one I use:
https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3840237&enlargeSkuz=20686&D=09&C=094&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=094

enzo
02-16-2010, 03:52 PM
SO...do you sharpen your hooks? how?
OR...do you just put them away and buy new when they get dull?
OR...do you not care and just use them till a fish steals it or you lose it?

You should have used the 'poll' option, it's going to be close.

FishBrain
02-16-2010, 04:30 PM
You should have used the 'poll' option, it's going to be close.

I am looking more for info on sharpening them, but didnt want to cut out anyones opinion.

wapiti11
02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I sharpen my hooks with a special fine flat file. Have also used a flat diamond file. Hooks used in marine environments for salmon etc. are especially in need of good sharpening fairly frequently.
wapiti

jacob1202
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
we sell a rapala hook sharpening device at the fishin hole... $ 7.99

Team Beef
02-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I use Gamagatsu hooks 99% of the time. New first time in the water I do not sharpen but check and will sharpen after each fish or bottom bite. I use a diamond "file" works fantastic. Only a couple of strokes and the hook bites hard into your fingernail or fishes jaw. Why risk a lost fish due to a dull or bent over hook point.

Battleriverman
02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
19561 Here's a pic of a hook sharpener I have and use. it's called a EZE-LAP WESTMINSTER .CA. Just run the outside of the hook along the groove a few times and the hook should be sharp enough to hang from your fingernail !!! Good fishing !!!

lovetheoutdoors
02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
ok so this maybe the stupid question of the day but here we go:

You have to de-barb your hooks but you can sharpen them? Doesn't that kind of contradict itself?

DarkAisling
02-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Doesn't that kind of contradict itself?

Nope.

The barb is to prevent the hook from coming out of the fish. A sharpened hook will come out of the fish just fine, but it will penetrate easier and also make a cleaner entry wound than a dull hook.

lovetheoutdoors
02-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Nope.

The barb is to prevent the hook from coming out of the fish. A sharpened hook will come out of the fish just fine, but it will penetrate easier and also make a cleaner entry wound than a dull hook.

Got ya! Thank you, I am a newby to the whole fishing scene.

fishstix
02-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I never sharpen hooks. By the time my flies are dull, the fish have chewed them to bits. Flies are quick and easy to tie, why bother hook sharpeening?

Fishstix!!

notagoodtroutfisher
02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I do sharpen. I get attatched to some of my flies (the ones that stand up to the abuse).