PDA

View Full Version : gull lake/pike

Gary K
02-16-2010, 04:14 PM
well everyone im thinking of heading out to gull lake to try my hand at some pike, this is my first season icefishing and im loving it! but mostly only been out for trout. so im just wondering what you guys are useing to rig up bait/lures, i have a few tip ups and a couple rods, just more looking on some bait tips.
also is there any areas of the lake i should avoid? or any hotspots anyone is will to share with me:)
thanks
gary.

EDIT:
also, i live in calgary, is there any lakes closer to calgary with decent pike numbers???
thanks again, gary

Krisrf
02-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Living in Calgary there are lots of options that I know of for Pike. Gull seems to be good for Perch and Whitefish at Brownlows, but unsure for pike (great in the summer for them, just unsure about Brownlows in the winter). Given the Calgary thing though, consider Newell or Mcgregor or Travers as well. Sylvan is also decent for Pike which is a tad closer then Gull even. I'm an Esox hunter myself and if lived in Calgary I would tend to head South, but that's just areas I'm more familar with.

KRF

BH1
02-16-2010, 09:19 PM
We were out at gull on family day, on the north end we saw quite a few pike, couple whites/perch and friends saw 2 burbs... just used a minnow on a single hook through the back.
bh1

Gary K
02-17-2010, 04:04 PM
thanks for the info, i am not all that familer with any of the lakes in alberta, as im from manitobia. but heading south and closer definitly soudns better! any more info is appreciated!
thanks again, gary
also are you guys useing live minoows or is that a nono in most of alberta. i havent read the regs on all the lakes yet.

nicemustang
02-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Get yourself a copy of the barry mitchell guide from fishin hole or canadian tire. Then go out and try some lakes. If you want to fish pike and your from calgary, there is Crawling valley, travers, newell, badger, keho, clear, mcgregor to name a few. All are 1-2 hrs away and offer excellent pike fishing. As far as locations, my advice to go out on a weekend and see where people are fishing on the lakes and get an idea of depth and structure. Find your own place and trial and error. IMO, Gull is too busy for the fish that are there and there are many other quieter places with just as good or better fishing. The central AB lakes can be VERY busy, on travers I may only see 1-2 other people fishing in the area we are in. Just my 2 cents.

As for lures, simple works. Jig head and minnow or smelt, tip up with smelt, large flashy spoon, or a jigging rapala are good choices. Pike will bite on anything in my experience. Fish in 4 - 20 FOW generally, and I usually fish the bottom but you can fish in the middle as well.

Gary K
02-18-2010, 04:28 PM
tahnks again guys, i think ill head out to keho this weekend, if the fishings good mabye saturday and sunday.
thanks for all the help. ice depth is not an issue there i presume? ill be walking out. and do you guys normally stick to shoreline or out in the open?
thanks again!
gary

WayneChristie
02-18-2010, 05:44 PM
tahnks again guys, i think ill head out to keho this weekend, if the fishings good mabye saturday and sunday.
thanks for all the help. ice depth is not an issue there i presume? ill be walking out. and do you guys normally stick to shoreline or out in the open?
thanks again!
gary

Lots of ice on the southern lakes now, just dont follow any CO's thru the islands :evilgrin:

Gary K
02-18-2010, 08:08 PM
hahaha i saw that picture.
thanks guys! ill let you know how it goes!