PDA

View Full Version : Does Size Matter?

Steven Noel
02-17-2010, 09:00 PM
I guess I have a need to start controvercial threads.... :lol:

So, pretty simple question. If your out and about fishing, assuming you don't intend on keeping any fish, does the size fish you catch greatly affect how much you enjoy your trip?

On one end of the spectrum is my first example... on another site I visit the admin visits and reviews alpine lakes based on their fishing. (If by any chance your on AOF its just an example.)

On one lake he noted that he caught trout after trout, and had action throughout the day. However the trout were all small (less then 9"). He rated this lake 2.5 out 5.

On another lake he reported fishing for several hours and cathing only two fish. However, one was 16" and the other was 19". This lake received a 4.5 out of 5.

I on the other hand arn't particularily interested in sizes, and tend to focus more on qunatity and frequency of the fish. (Maybe if I had the skill and the patience to catch big fish I'd change my mind. :lol:)

Neither one is "right", they're just different ways to look at things. So, what do you all think? Does it change depending on the circumstances? How do you look at it?

baitfisher83
02-17-2010, 09:06 PM
even though I generally intend to keep a couple, I'd rather catch alot of small fish than no fish at all...

foxracing_23
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
I strictly go to lakes I know have monster fish in, except for the odd hung over sunday run to a local lake, and our anual walleye weekend. I would rather catch 2 or 3 monsters over the course of 3-4 days than 20 small/average fish per day. It does take patience, but it is more than worth the wait when you get that big one.

The rating should be based on consistancy of fish AS well as size. It is unfair to rate a lake based on size only or quantity only of fish. I would rate wabamun as a great pike lake, and lake X, where i have spent countless weekends and can count on my hands the number of fish i'v caught over the past 3 years as a great lake as well

WayneChristie
02-17-2010, 09:45 PM
I just love fishing. Its nice to catch one fish, lots of fish, or maybe even no fish. Its all in the experience. As long as I am out on the water in the fresh air it doesnt really matter. Big fish are nice, but if you caught them consistantly, what would be the point, they would get stale.

Sandalius
02-17-2010, 09:49 PM
I think it has to do with expectations of the day and location

Lake A - you know has lots of little fish in it.....
you would be expecting to catch lots of little fish hoping for something a little bigger

Lake B - you know has monster fish and are unsure about just how many little ones there are .....
you would be targeting the big ones - but expecting to catch something
but hoping for the " the big one "

The only disappointing thing I can see is not catching
fish in the first place:cry:

flyguyd
02-18-2010, 06:23 AM
A bad day fishing is way better than a good day at work so ya I guess size doesnt matter.:)

packhuntr
02-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Most folk dont know anything other than the fact that they are going fishing. If you ask, they likely wouldnt know what is in the fishery. They likely wouldnt know what the regs are, they likely dont know what the issues have been, and to be honest, they likely couldnt care less. Just ask them if you dont believe so.... Healthy fisheries containing big fish,,, or a bunch of peices of sh*t, full of small age classes flooding the system and blowing the carrying capacity of the body of water into next decade territory???? Once a fishery is collapsed, stunted, whatever the case may be, its only a matter of time before no one wants fish it,,, even the ones that really DONT CARE enough to learn about thier surroundings and the issues these creatures/habitats face. When it wrecked, its wrecked, and people just move on looking to satisfy thier "needs".... End of story.

WayneChristie
02-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Most folk dont know anything other than the fact that they are going fishing. If you ask, they likely wouldnt know what is in the fishery. They likely wouldnt know what the regs are, they likely dont know what the issues have been, and to be honest, they likely couldnt care less. Just ask them if you dont believe so.... Healthy fisheries containing big fish,,, or a bunch of peices of sh*t, full of small age classes flooding the system and blowing the carrying capacity of the body of water into next decade territory???? Once a fishery is collapsed, stunted, whatever the case may be, its only a matter of time before no one wants fish it,,, even the ones that really DONT CARE enough to learn about thier surroundings and the issues these creatures/habitats face. When it wrecked, its wrecked, and people just move on looking to satisfy thier "needs".... End of story.

you are starting to sound like a broken record, this doesnt have any thing to do witht he thread, if you just want to whine and complain start your own thread!

flynick
02-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Beer tastes so good while fishing

troller
02-18-2010, 07:23 AM
you are starting to sound like a broken record, this doesnt have any thing to do witht he thread, if you just want to whine and complain start your own thread!

Hush you, you don't know anything anyways :p

We are all just a bunch of http://www3.telus.net/public/lswain1/Smilies/bobbo.gif hoping pack can show us the way :innocent:

Jimboy
02-18-2010, 08:23 AM

OK , tell us which lakes you think are collapsed ?

packhuntr
02-18-2010, 08:42 AM
:lol: Actually, such things have everything to do with what this thread is about. Problem is, folks just want to talk about what they WANT, without desiring to know primarily what the issues are, let alone what the ramifications are pertaining to thier "desires". Never mind any of that though guys. Want-away.

Oh, one more quick thing before I say my last on any fisheries discussion on this embarrasment. To those wanting nothing more than to fulfill personal desires with OUR frail resources. There are folks out there that DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM catching fish. Stop to think what the situation would look like right now if said folks decided to turn the whole thing upside down to show the uneducated, and our disasterous regulations, and those in charge of thier content, a thing or two about destroying fisheries, merely to get a point across. If this is what will be the only thing that promotes change for our future with these fisheries, look out, cause those of yopu having a hard time catching right now, havent seen what tough is. It could legally be done and there would be nothing that could be said. So just remember that, if you ever see a bunch of hard fishing knowlegable anglers kicking off a train wreck to lay a point down. If you think it couldnt happen, dream on. All the best in 2010!

The Fisherman Guy
02-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Pack you do have a very valid point, but your general stereotyping does not bring awareness to this issue. Nor does it have ANYTHING to do with the SUBJECT!

Size does matter. It just depends from person to person, what size that they prefer!

I would rather catch fewer, but bigger fish on a day trip. If I am camping, or spending time in the woods I would rather catch an abundance of fish. Perhaps it is the satisfaction of knowing I will never go hungry, as long as I can catch enough to sustain me - if I needed it.

Okotokian
02-18-2010, 08:51 AM
size matters to me, but not that much. I still catch few enough fish that any tug on my line makes me smile. I'd rather catch ten small ones than five big ones if I'm C&R only.

DarkAisling
02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Size ALWAYS matters. :evilgrin:

SwampShark
02-18-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree with most.

If I am strictly C&R, then I am usually happy with either many small fish that are fun to catch all day or a few large fish that get me really excited.

Size does matter even if you are C&R if you catch the same quantity of fish. Imagine fishing all afternoon for one 2 lbs baby pike or one 20 lbs monster. Which will you consider a better day fishing?

That being said - There are size limits on what is considered a fun day with many small fish. Something like Hasee Lake gets boring in about an hour. They have to be fish - not fingerlings.

vault
02-18-2010, 07:01 PM
:lol: Actually, such things have everything to do with what this thread is about. Problem is, folks just want to talk about what they WANT, without desiring to know primarily what the issues are, let alone what the ramifications are pertaining to thier "desires". Never mind any of that though guys. Want-away.

Oh, one more quick thing before I say my last on any fisheries discussion on this embarrasment. To those wanting nothing more than to fulfill personal desires with OUR frail resources. There are folks out there that DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM catching fish. Stop to think what the situation would look like right now if said folks decided to turn the whole thing upside down to show the uneducated, and our disasterous regulations, and those in charge of thier content, a thing or two about destroying fisheries, merely to get a point across. If this is what will be the only thing that promotes change for our future with these fisheries, look out, cause those of yopu having a hard time catching right now, havent seen what tough is. It could legally be done and there would be nothing that could be said. So just remember that, if you ever see a bunch of hard fishing knowlegable anglers kicking off a train wreck to lay a point down. If you think it couldnt happen, dream on. All the best in 2010!

I thought he said that was going to be quick....So is that you with the big buck on your profile picture to fulfill YOUR personal desires and wants in life of killing off a trophy deer? I don't think it was shot just to put on the table.

I think everyone would like to catch the BIG ONE, I also would like to catch all day, even if they are small. Either way, just being out on the water would fulfill my day. One thing i keep in mind when i do catch a nice size, is that they are the producers to the future of fishing, so for me those ones go back.

Geezle
02-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Size matters, but only to a point.

Something is also a lot better than nothing.

I don't get the opportunity to get out as much as I'd like, so as long as I'm getting something often enough to keep me entertained I'm all good.

Hasse was fun to fish for a day, and I would do it again, but if it was the only lake I fished I suspect it would get old fast.

And as has already been stated...deep down we all want to catch 'the big one' :evilgrin:

packhuntr
02-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I thought he said that was going to be quick....So is that you with the big buck on your profile picture to fulfill YOUR personal desires and wants in life of killing off a trophy deer? I don't think it was shot just to put on the table.

I think everyone would like to catch the BIG ONE, I also would like to catch all day, even if they are small. Either way, just being out on the water would fulfill my day. One thing i keep in mind when i do catch a nice size, is that they are the producers to the future of fishing, so for me those ones go back.

Ok:lol:, as far as the hunting comment goes,, right away when you start talking about things that you dont know, you immediately and very clearly look like you do not know. You know what I mean?? As far as the whole fishing discussion thing goes,, its gonna go on without me. Youd have noticed that, and probuably afew other things if youd read what you quoted. Couple that with some knowledge of the subject and you are off to the races! Have an awesome day!

Walleyes
02-18-2010, 07:42 PM
I would say it's 50 / 50 for me.. I like to catch lots of fish but I will change out some small ones at the chance at a hog.. Heck I go out to the west coast every summer in the hunt for the 50# Chinook. I could run tackle that would keep me busy all day on the Pinks or Coho but run the gear that has the chance at the hog.. And this run ain't a cheap one.. We are talking in the thousands of dollars looking for the big one..

So for the most part I would have to say,, I hunt big fish...

DarkAisling
02-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Size matters, but only to a point.

Something is also a lot better than nothing.

Too true.

Also, sometimes something really itty bitty can be quite the novelty.

Walleyes
02-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Oh, one more quick thing before I say my last on any fisheries discussion on this embarrassment. To those wanting nothing more than to fulfill personal desires with OUR frail resources. There are folks out there that DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM catching fish. Stop to think what the situation would look like right now if said folks decided to turn the whole thing upside down to show the uneducated, and our disasterous regulations, and those in charge of thier content, a thing or two about destroying fisheries, merely to get a point across. If this is what will be the only thing that promotes change for our future with these fisheries, look out, cause those of yopu having a hard time catching right now, havent seen what tough is. It could legally be done and there would be nothing that could be said. So just remember that, if you ever see a bunch of hard fishing knowlegable anglers kicking off a train wreck to lay a point down. If you think it couldnt happen, dream on. All the best in 2010!

Pack,, you really have some major personnel issues with this province.. You do not seem to be able to find any big bucks anymore,, you can't find any big fish anymore,, your world is really F'up.. I personally don't find the same issues you do,, mind you I do drive farther than 50 miles from my front step in search of my goals..

My friend you really have to get away from the farm and get out there . This province still holds tons of untouched country we just have to get out there and get it.. Try it trust me the Chevy won't leave you stranded...

hal53
02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Too true.

OOHHHH...Wayne!!!!!!! Where are you?????????:lol::lol::lol:

DarkAisling
02-18-2010, 08:00 PM
OOHHHH...Wayne!!!!!!! Where are you?????????:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, he's already called me a "perv" via pm :lol:

hal53
02-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Oh, he's already called me a "perv" via pm :lol:
:evilgrin::evilgrin: Good, I was starting to worry!!!!!:lol::lol:

Commander B
02-18-2010, 08:06 PM
When im sitting there looking down the hole, on a retrive, or intently staring at rod tip on the 10th pass of the weed line. I would be lying if i said i didnt want, expect the next one to be IGFA or even an Alberta record. The thrill of the battle ...(I miss summer) But equally a day with family and friends and fifty little fish have been some of my best days. Size is nice but I fish because I have to. I calms my inner deamons:lol::lol:

packhuntr
02-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Pack,, you really have some major personnel issues with this province.. You do not seem to be able to find any big bucks anymore,, you can't find any big fish anymore,, your world is really F'up.. I personally don't find the same issues you do,, mind you I do drive farther than 50 miles from my front step in search of my goals..

My friend you really have to get away from the farm and get out there . This province still holds tons of untouched country we just have to get out there and get it.. Try it trust me the Chevy won't leave you stranded...

Walleyes, I dont know what made you think I have some sort of problem?? I scour this province yearly on various hunts and fishing trips.... Harvesting what I want, its problematic, but never an issue. I cut my fair share of tags. You wanna compare bank statements?? I dont have a problem with nessesary impact nor do I have an issue with smart, moderated impact on renewable resources. What has struck a chord with me is the insufficient regulating of present impacts on our fisheries. I do not see some of these impacts as required nor suitable as it would pertain to conservation and ensuring a stable future. Its really that simple. I dont want to go on and on about something this senceless. It just goes round and round and round, and nothing gets accomplished. The only sure thing to come out of it for everyone is anger. If folks think things are just wonderful,,, great,, but that does not change the facts.

Edit. I want to enjoy healthy fisheries. What ever size fish that entails is just fine with me.

Walleyes
02-18-2010, 08:50 PM
So what did you just say man ?? Do you like the way it is ??? are there to many fish ??? not enough fish ?? should we take more ?? Frick is just me or are you just rambiling on, on some over schooled over thought B.S... Please tell me something in old school english so's we can have a converastion.

P.S.Your a fish cop ain't yah ???

Geezle
02-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Too true.

Ask Ken about my "keychain perch" :lol:
I really should have kept that little guy and had him made into a keychain...he was really that small!

tacklerunner
02-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Here's what matters to me:

1. Getting out there and fishing!
2. I C&R so I go for the trophy. That's what motivates me.
3. If I can't improve on my personal best then size is irrelevant if there is action.
4. If there's no action, I probably won't go back but feel as good for trying as I would in 1, 2 or 3.
5. Getting out there and fishing.

In summary. I don't care as long as I can get outta the city and sit in the cold in peace with a line through a hole, I feel like the luckiest guy in the world!

Steven Noel
02-18-2010, 09:07 PM

3. If I can't improve on my personal best then size is irrelevant if there is action.
4. If there's no action, I probably won't go back but feel as good for trying as I would in 1, 2 or 3.

In summary. I don't care as long as I can get outta the city and sit in the cold in peace with a line through a hole, I feel like the luckiest guy in the world!

Amen to that. :wave:

bobalong
02-18-2010, 09:27 PM
As mentioned before I think the type of fishing and who you are fishing with determines the size of fish I target. If I am fishing by my self or with some buddies, I am usually looking for the "big one". If I am out with my grandson, I actually get more pleasure watching him fish, and helping him learn the wonderfull sport of fishing, than catching a fish my self regardless of size.
I have posted this before but it does sort of go like this
The evolution of an angler
I just want to fish
I want to catch lot of fish
I want to catch a big fish
I want to catch lots of big fish
I want to catch lots of fish
I just want to fish

vault
02-18-2010, 09:34 PM
So what did you just say man ?? Do you like the way it is ??? are there to many fish ??? not enough fish ?? should we take more ?? Frick is just me or are you just rambiling on, on some over schooled over thought B.S... Please tell me something in old school english so's we can have a converastion.

I hear ya walleyes....it sounded like the teacher from the charlie brown cartoons.

Mr.goldeye
02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Reading the title i thought this was a different issue... maybe a more personal one:D

WayneChristie
02-18-2010, 09:53 PM

I think some people shouldnt give up smoking!:D

tacklerunner
02-18-2010, 09:55 PM
As mentioned before I think the type of fishing and who you are fishing with determines the size of fish I target. If I am fishing by my self or with some buddies, I am usually looking for the "big one". If I am out with my grandson, I actually get more pleasure watching him fish, and helping him learn the wonderfull sport of fishing, than catching a fish my self regardless of size.
I just want to fish
I just want to fish

That's cool. Have to remember that one. Pretty much sums it up though doesn't it? If you can fish, life is good.

WayneChristie
02-18-2010, 09:56 PM

you and me both bro, and if we can be with someone we care about its only better ! kids, spouses, friends, whomever, all icing on the cake!

bushnell
02-18-2010, 10:05 PM
I go fishing because that is what I love to do,after that comes hunting. When I get to go out there it's not about how many or how big they are.It is my way to relax.Personally if I take 5% ofthe fish I catch thats alot. Yes there are problems with our fisheries that need to be addressed,but that is another rant.

Bud Leight
02-18-2010, 11:49 PM
I just want to fish
I just want to fish

That's sweet. Nobalong

ESOXangler
02-19-2010, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=WayneChristie;514812]I think some people shouldnt give up smoking!

or start smoking something else

DarkAisling
02-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Ask Ken about my "keychain perch" :lol:
I really should have kept that little guy and had him made into a keychain...he was really that small!

Did you get a picture?

I'd love to catch something that small, just to "ooh & ahh" over how little it was.

newchipper
02-19-2010, 09:35 AM

This is very close to how I feel. I really enjoy being on water that I have to constantly wonder if the next fish will be my big one, but I am not worried about catching it if I am catching smaller ones. I just want to have to wonder. And when I do get that big one--I love a quick picture and release.