PDA

View Full Version : Snipe Lake

Walleye101
02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Better get in on the Snipe Lake Perch fest! This jumbo Perch population will be severly depleted by the end of this ice fishing season.:cry:

bruce44
02-18-2010, 05:27 AM
well you dont have to worry about me taking any perch. I fish for size and go after pike. If i want food i keep the walleye. Ill be sure to return the perch for ya.

Brock1
02-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Better get in on the Snipe Lake Perch fest! This jumbo Perch population will be severly depleted by the end of this ice fishing season.:cry:

please explain what u mean? why will there be a shortage of big perch in snipe???
do u mean because people are keeping too many there

Drewski Canuck
02-18-2010, 09:05 AM
In the 80's Missawawi lake by Lac la Biche would produce 12 - 14 inch perch year after year, and lots of them. Often there were 200 ++ vehicles out on a weekend in the winter. The Perch can take the pressure, and hold up on a big water body. Back then the limit was 30. More importantly, handle the fish you don't want with care. On a fertile water body, those are next year's big ones.

Drewski

Walleye101
02-18-2010, 09:16 AM
I guess time will tell. But if you do the math 50 vehicles per weekend at an average of 2 people per vehicle x 15 perch per person is 1500 fish out of the lake in one weekend. And never mind what comes out of there during the week. I would think it's safe to say that there are roughly 15,000 to 20,000 perch coming out on any given month. They should knock the limit down to 5 perch and shut the lake down March 31 just like every other lake.

FiveO
02-18-2010, 09:45 AM
The internet has changed fishing forever. To much readily available information and will pile people to a hot spot over night and fish it out.
I do have a problem with the same guys pulling limits of fish out day after day or week after week I dont think alot of folks follow the possesion guidelines.

highwood
02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
If you guys think that every single perch fisherman that goes to Snipe limits out in perch everytime they go you are kidding yourself. Like Drewski said, large fertile lakes can easily take the perch pressure. Missawawi was a **** show in the 80's and the only reason it stopped being so was low water levels. I wouldnt be too concerned about the perch in Snipe....that being said, keeping less than your limit is always a good practice. I know too many people with freezers full of walleye that never get eaten...

whiskybaron
02-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Well it don't worry not all of the fisherman out there on snipe are keeping a limit, I have been there twice this winter and not caught aperch worth keeping so I think you're numbers are a little off no onr around us caught or kept more than a couple and that was about 8 people.

Joe Fehr
02-18-2010, 02:19 PM
:rolleye2:

jeezy187
02-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Well it don't worry not all of the fisherman out there on snipe are keeping a limit, I have been there twice this winter and not caught aperch worth keeping so I think you're numbers are a little off no onr around us caught or kept more than a couple and that was about 8 people.

very true...me and a buddy went monday and tuesday and between us both we caught about 25 perch and we kept 9, the smallest one we kept was 11 inches....what really bugs me is the guy who catches a 9 incher and thinks that is a keeper but ppl who do that must have never cleaned a perch because u could fit both fillets in ur mouth, so what is the point of keeping it if u cant even get a meal from it

kreator
02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Posting a thread about how everyone should go to Snipe Lake 'before it's too late' definitely isn't going to solve the problem! In fact, I bet it does the opposite.

Walleye101
02-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I have not been there yet this year, but by the sounds of it maybe the jumbos are getting fished out? Last year I went there with four guys and we all had our limits within one hour and not one was under 12 inches!!! Guess it's almost finished?:cry:

highwood
02-20-2010, 03:58 PM
So you havent been there this year but are claiming the lake is going to be fished out of jumbo perch based on one good trip you had last year?? haha

Walleye101
02-20-2010, 04:24 PM
No I personally have not been there this year, but I know many people that have been!!! haha!

perchie15
02-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Lol Ya now I wanna go to Snipe Lake, I drive by it every other week going on days off from working up norht.. maybe next time driving home I will stop there thanks guys.. LOL J/K.. I dont have my fishing gear up here.. so cant go.. Ill let you other guys have the perch!!

GummyMonster
02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
hey perchie,
Valleyview has a sports store that was very well stocked with fishing gear last time I was there.Staff seemed good to deal with too. Just FYI, if you need something.
Any one been at snipe for whites lately? Been busy lately but am determined to get out soon.
Good luck.:evilgrin:Ken:evilgrin:

perchie15
02-20-2010, 10:41 PM
lol thanks gummy!! But maybe my next time going up? It all be C&R tho. But I got enough icefishing stuff, i dont need to stock up anymore.

fishinfool
02-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Going to Snipe next weekend never been there b4 heard lots about the good fishing. new to the forum good topics need more pics.

BAD DAY OF FISHING IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK