PDA

View Full Version : Drift Fishing

jriad
02-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking for more infor on drifting nymphs etc on the bow to add another technique to the arsenal. Anyone tried this method with sjw? I think it might be a good way to tackle the NW in the winter.

notagoodtroutfisher
02-19-2010, 05:29 AM
What info are you looking for? the sjw works all year and is almost a sure thing. Personally, i use the smaller wire worms in the winter. Find deep holes and fish them slow.

dodger
02-19-2010, 05:45 AM
What info are you looking for? the sjw works all year and is almost a sure thing. Personally, i use the smaller wire worms in the winter. Find deep holes and fish them slow.

X2 on the wire worm as it gets down to the bottom fast.

notagoodtroutfisher
02-19-2010, 07:12 AM
and whatever your using as your bottom nymph, make sure it's bouncing along the bottom. Be careful not to overweight the rig or you will snag alot. You have to spend a little time to find a happy medium

jriad
02-19-2010, 09:15 AM
and whatever your using as your bottom nymph, make sure it's bouncing along the bottom. Be careful not to overweight the rig or you will snag alot. You have to spend a little time to find a happy medium

What type of rig do you use? How do you rig up a sjw and then a nymph below it? On spinning gear that is.

Is a wire worm different then a SJW? Newbie on the fly types etc.

notagoodtroutfisher
02-19-2010, 09:32 AM
A SJW can refer to alot of worms. I rig 2-3 flies depending on where I am, depth, wind etc. My most common rig for winter holes on the bow is either a Stonefly, prince nymph, copper j on top------18"-24" of line between then a SJW on the bottom. If I use a wire worm then I don't add a splitshot. If it's a fabric worm then I add a splitshot halfway up the line between both flies.

enzo
02-19-2010, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=notagoodtroutfisher;515082] I rig 2-3 flies depending on where I am, depth, wind etc. [QUOTE]

One for the mouth, another for its eye, and one more for the gills?

notagoodtroutfisher
02-19-2010, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=notagoodtroutfisher;515082] I rig 2-3 flies depending on where I am, depth, wind etc. [QUOTE]

One for the mouth, another for its eye, and one more for the gills?

If only they made a rig for people

aulrich
02-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I run multi fly rigs all the time a SJW + something else. The SJW is the ultimate generic fly, always sort of just there. The other will be an attempt to match the hatch but mostly a prince or a phesant tail.

It would take someting like a Nile perch http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/00946/pic_used/nile_perch.jpgto hook mouth, eyes and gills for as close as the flys are. My 5wt is probably not enough ouch!!!

I don't go past 2 flys , I have a hard enough time keeping them un-tangled.

notagoodtroutfisher
02-19-2010, 02:04 PM
I run multi fly rigs all the time a SJW + something else. The SJW is the ultimate generic fly, always sort of just there. The other will be an attempt to match the hatch but mostly a prince or a phesant tail.

It would take someting like a Nile perch http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/00946/pic_used/nile_perch.jpgto hook mouth, eyes and gills for as close as the flys are. My 5wt is probably not enough ouch!!!

I don't go past 2 flys , I have a hard enough time keeping them un-tangled.

It is tough, especially when windy. When it iswindy, I put the heavy fly on the bottom and change my casting similar to a spey cast.