PDA

View Full Version : What about creating new fishing lakes?

GummyMonster
02-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Morning,
The introduced perch topic is a big complicated one.
Right or wrong, if people are introducing perch to new lakes, its because they want abundant fishing , closer to home.(I am not arguing the morals of it,just a statement.)
I live north of Grande Prairie, and there are multiple lakes up here that won't sustain fish naturally, mostly because of shallow depth, I believe. I am going to try and start a list for my area, and will post it. Do you folks further south have these type of lakes as well?
Would it be viable to aerate some of them, and stock them with perch, pike,etc?
I'm not thinking in terms of producing big fish,just hammer handle pike and perch worth cleaning. Maybe whitefish since they reproduce quickly?
As well as aeration, could water levels be raised with wiers, canals etc in some cases(ie - Winagami lake, which was turned from a slough into a pretty nice lake with a small dam/weir?)
I just think that more lakes with fish equals less pressure per lake, and more fishing for all. A lot of money gets spent on stocking trout, so why not diversify?
All opinions and thoughts welcome.
Good day
:evilgrin:Ken:evilgrin:

linemanpete
02-20-2010, 10:53 AM
I've often thought of this especially in the newer developments which nearly all have storm water lakes. Now I realize that a storm water lake is not ideal for fish but it would cost a lot less then weirs/ damns.

red666
02-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Noted with interest yesterday that 2009 stocking reports listed 150 yellow perch and 41 pike getting dumped into Windfall Lake (east of Swan Hills) in March.

YeeHaw
02-20-2010, 05:45 PM
I think that would be a great idea. Speeking for myself, I think they could have a derby on some lakes and put the fish (perch) in lakes and ponds that even winterkill for the local fisherman. There is more that enough small ponds in the new subdivisions, or ponds that winterkill (Hearmitage), where the government could save money by useing over populated perch, to stock the places they buy trout to stock. Easyer to catch than trout, keeps the kids intrested in the sport. Just my two penny's.

GummyMonster
03-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Morning,
Just moving this thread up, hoping to get a bigger discussion going.

Start throwing out ideas folks, maybe we can come up with something that would be a benefit to our province and our new and upcoming fisher kids
Thanks
:evilgrin:ken:D

floppychicken
03-15-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't think that would work very well down South. Here around Calgary there are VERY FEW lakes and VERY FEW places that would support one. However, there are a TON of Coulees that would make REALLY nice fisheries if they could be dammed off on one or both 'ends'. They would 'likely' have to be Electric only lakes, but would support Great Shore fishing and decent proliferation due to water depth.

As far as Pike go... I think we've got MORE than enough of those around here.... They are LITERALLY EVERYWHERE (both BIG and small) and very easy to catch. The same goes for Walleye, there's TON'S of those between PIGEON and NEWELL Lakes. There are ALSO a LOT of lakes in the South that DO have Perch in them, but once again, these are VERY hard to fish, 'Shallow, Pothole' lakes (some lakes are of course bigger..) and make fishing for ANYONE without a boat, rather difficult. Much like Pike, there are a LOT of Whitefish in Southern Alberta, but strangely I find them FAR, FAR more difficult to Catch than any other species (although the Rivers tend to be better for Hooking one...). All one has to do is go to Sylvan Lake and see the SHEER numbers of VERY LARGE Whitefish to get an Idea of just how many there are... I've been there numerous times and have been 'unable' to count them due to them literally carpeting the lake bottom. You can do this by merely drifting through the shallows on the BOTH Sides of the Lake. (No wonder the PIKE are SOOOOO large in that body of Water !)

What I'd love to see, is a Lake with some BASS, Sunfish and Perch (maybe some Crappie and Bluegill Too) ! Dam off a nice Loooong, DEEP Coulee with a bunch of ROCK CLUSTERS, fill it with WATER and watch those Fish GROW!
**(I of course, realize that it is much more 'difficult' than that...)**

BAR NONE, Bass fishing (Smallies and BIGGIES) is the most fun a youngster and 'most adults' will EVER have when it comes to catching fish ! Also, watching a school of about 20 Sunfish tearing across the shallows to peel the worm off a hook, is an absolute HOOT for 'Anyone' who enjoys fishing! You can always count on Catching Sunfish on the HOTTEST day of the Summer too! The best thing about having 'PERCH' in this body of water will be there sheer numbers due to their 'obvious proliferation' and the GREAT food they'll present for any other fish in the Lake / Reservoir.

Finally,... A lake like this will ALWAYS have a good population of both BASS and Sunfish because they are NOT a GOOD EATING fish when compared to ANY other GAME fish in ALBERTA, or Canada for that matter. The BASS are 'ARGUABLY' the MOST Fun to catch (FAR better water BREECHERS than even TROUT) while the Sunfish, Bluegill and Crappie are probably the most colorful and 'easiest' of Fish to pull out of a body of water....

In any event, these are the kind of lakes 'I Personally' would love to see 'added' into ALBERTA !

Cheers,

/FC...

ice
03-15-2010, 08:20 AM
It also depends. The lake that you specified. if at one time was just a slough. That would or could freeze to the bottom. unless the dam. Brang up the water substanstially.
Could be costly. If it Has a complete winterkill every year. Especially up north. where lakes tend to get alot more ice on them then down south. Then that can be very costly for the province to have to re-stock Yearly, that and you have to think. Its lakes with perch that generally become over populated. And Even if you drop pike in. if all the pike winterkill and the perch dont. That can ruin a lake.
In my opinion its much safer to leave perch out. And Mabey just stock walleye.
And thats assuming its deep enough To support the fish without winter killing every year.
The Province has stocked walleye before. So that might be a better way to go. Also you have to think once the walleye are in what are they going to eat. Is The Province able to stalk minnows or smaller fish such as stickleback. is that safe to do so? Many factors play a role. Its hard to just go and throw a species of fish in a lake. Because if it goes wrong and the lake bursts into over population. Its wasnt worth it to begin with.
I think if you can find a suitable lake. that can support large fish and small. Then mabey it would be good to throw some perch down there.
I think that it would probobly take years and years of testing before they would stock perch into a body of water.
But like you said. if the lake has rose quiet a bit. then mabey its a good idea to try and stock it. even with just bigger fish to begin with to test and see if it can sustain those fish. and eventually perch

Good thread.:)

Ice:confused:

tatonkagp
03-15-2010, 04:10 PM
I like this idea, like said above I think there needs to be a study if the lake is worthwhile for introduction. I live in Grande Prairie too, I have heard that bear lake used to be a great perch fishery, that is until they dammed it at muscoseeppi ( i know terrible spelling). I would love to see a nice lake close to Gp, so it could take some of the pressure off lakes like sturgeon, and snipe. Man if I could I would love to see a fishing country club where you pay dues to help pay for the airetors, and stocking program. There is a very successfull one in Toronto, called the franklin club or something like that.

addicted
03-15-2010, 05:34 PM
I like the idea of our storm water lakes having bass or sunfish , too bad the cities wont do it .... on a lighter note there are some web sites that do sell these fish and overnight deliver them:rolleyes: wonder hmmmmm fishing just down the street lol

lifesaflyin
03-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Id like to see some fish east of edmonton.. with an under 30 minutes drive.:)

floppychicken
03-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Id like to see some fish east of edmonton.. with an under 30 minutes drive.:)

Man, I'd be happy with a drive under 90 MINUTES !! It's AT LEAST a 90 Minute driver from CALGARY to ANY DECENT lakes with the Boat in Tow ! :cry:

/J...