PDA

View Full Version : Hermitage Trout Pond Edmonton

Bounty Hammer
02-20-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm looking to gather information regarding the Hermitage trout pond in the City of Edmonton. Information to support years that this pond hasn't winter killed (size of fish caught/year caught) will be beneficial. Numbers of fish caught and month throughout the winter will also help if more specific details can not be provided.

Thanks in advance

RedFisher
02-20-2010, 07:02 PM
yah good luck with that one... ive fished it a few times ....got a few small trout... but that was like 3 yrs back ever since havent fished it..

lifesaflyin
02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
whatever survives the birds before ice up gets eatin by the birds at ice out. lol never seen anything even worth keepin come outa there.

Bounty Hammer
02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the input; however, I am looking for information geared towards establishing a fishery management plan for this pond. If enough information is gathered, improvements to this fishery may be implemented.

I'm looking to gather information regarding the Hermitage trout pond in the City of Edmonton. Information to support years that this pond hasn't winter killed (size of fish caught/year caught) will be beneficial. Numbers of fish caught and month throughout the winter will also help if more specific details can not be provided.

Thanks in advance

lifesaflyin
02-20-2010, 11:47 PM
i thought they are redoing the back 40 pond.?? in anycase i would love to see the hermitage pond become a good fishery but dont think its possible without making the pond deeper and with an airator. it might be 2- 3 feet deep for 40% of the pond

Kim473
02-21-2010, 03:54 AM
Add some water and aireators, make catch and release for 3 years and good to go. And restock withh 12" ers. Dont need a study.

YeeHaw
02-21-2010, 04:53 AM
I have only had limited success in the summer, but have had better luck right after freezup till about the middle and end of December. After that time I have never had a bight or even seen anything on the sonar. The winter trout all looked healthy and averaged about a pound to pound and a half at best. Tried eating them, but just to muddy for my taste. Any idea what happening with the back 40 pond? Last I seen it was almost leveled with scrapers and dozers driving through it.

Erik
02-21-2010, 11:51 PM
As previously stated this pond needs more depth and aeration. The location is perfect and should be a top priority for recreation in the city!!

Bounty Hammer
02-21-2010, 11:59 PM
I have only had limited success in the summer, but have had better luck right after freezup till about the middle and end of December. After that time I have never had a bight or even seen anything on the sonar. The winter trout all looked healthy and averaged about a pound to pound and a half at best. Tried eating them, but just to muddy for my taste. Any idea what happening with the back 40 pond? Last I seen it was almost leveled with scrapers and dozers driving through it.

Thanks for the input. In regards to the back 40 pond, the construction taking place is to transform this area into a wetland to facilitate water purification from city run off prior to it entering the North Saskatchewan River. This wetland will also serve as habitat for waterfowl.

Bounty Hammer
02-22-2010, 12:09 AM
As previously stated this pond needs more depth and aeration. The location is perfect and should be a top priority for recreation in the city!!

I strongly agree. There have been talks of creating a trout pond in Terwwillegar Park but with the recent recession, those talks will most likely never materialize.

If more Edmontonians voiced their fishery related recreational concerns to City Council this may one day become a priority.

Penner
02-22-2010, 08:24 AM
The city would be foolish to do it. Just a matter of time before someone would think it would make a good place for an illegal Perch stocking.

Hermitage actually had pike in it at one time. The pike came from illegal stocking. The source the NS river which is a short distance away.

Winter kill is the only think that keeps it as a trout pond.

RedFisher
02-22-2010, 01:29 PM
The city would be foolish to do it. Just a matter of time before someone would think it would make a good place for an illegal Perch stocking.

Hermitage actually had pike in it at one time. The pike came from illegal stocking. The source the NS river which is a short distance away.

Hmmm that gives me an idea... would be nice to catch perch inside the city and only like 2 minutes away from my house... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: NOT...

italk2u
02-22-2010, 01:45 PM

Not entirely correct. The pike got in as a result of the flooding on the NSR back in the early 70's. The river washed right over the banks into the park and even flooded the back 40 pond.
I saw pike, walleye and goldeye washed up on shore a few years ago on the back 40.
Some of the oldtimers say there is also an underground stream that goes from the tiver to the back 40. It might also be an old coal mine.

codywf
02-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Caught a 14" rainbow last fall, probbly weighted close to 2 pounds, he was a football for sure, only fish I caught, wooly bugger is what I caught him on. n asian couple was visiting edmonton and ran quite a distance to me just to get some pictures, which I was glad to do.

So if anyone spots me on a billboard while visiting any asian countries, the answer is "yes, I am the equivalent to Bob Izumi over there"

Bounty Hammer
02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Caught a 14" rainbow last fall, probbly weighted close to 2 pounds, he was a football for sure, only fish I caught, wooly bugger is what I caught him on. n asian couple was visiting edmonton and ran quite a distance to me just to get some pictures, which I was glad to do.

So if anyone spots me on a billboard while visiting any asian countries, the answer is "yes, I am the equivalent to Bob Izumi over there"

Thanks for the info. That fish survived at least one winter.

fishunter77
02-22-2010, 07:02 PM
The fish don't overwinter in Hermitage. Had a camera out near the New Year and they were dead at the bottom. The pond is only 11 feet at the deepest part. Most of it is 4-6 feet. You may catch on odd one above 13" during the fall and early winter. They are hard to catch in the pond, they have a ton of food, (minnows, shrimp, backswimmers, water beetles, etc.)

As well, being a storm pond, a bunch of silt runs into it every year. The city would have to dredge and clean it up for them to overwinter. Aerators would have to be used which could cause a legal issue with the dog park so close by.

Bounty Hammer
02-22-2010, 07:14 PM
The fish don't overwinter in Hermitage. Had a camera out near the New Year and they were dead at the bottom. The pond is only 11 feet at the deepest part. Most of it is 4-6 feet. You may catch on odd one above 13" during the fall and early winter. They are hard to catch in the pond, they have a ton of food, (minnows, shrimp, backswimmers, water beetles, etc.)

As well, being a storm pond, a bunch of silt runs into it every year. The city would have to dredge and clean it up for them to overwinter. Aerators would have to be used which could cause a legal issue with the dog park so close by.

Thanks for your information. Improving this fishery would be no simple task. This type of information may also be beneficial for future plans.

A deeper section between the dock and the island still exists. It gets as deep as 18 feet.

Morph1
02-22-2010, 10:35 PM
I would love to see this place improved fihing wise...,
I do think that there would be a chance of sustaining something better with aireators, I fly fished there a couple of times over the years and always had plenty of fun stripping back swimmers, I've caught there trout in 13-14" range,
and they gave plenty of entertainment especially within 10 minute drive distance from where I live...
Great place to learn casting and catch your first rainbow !,
I also heard that last year or 2 years back the 40 pond had also been stocked and I heard that it's also much deeper...

Cheers !