PDA

View Full Version : Boat Mechanic you can TRUST?

BrendaB
02-20-2010, 11:25 PM
My husband and I are looking for some advice on the following Edmonton Marine places. We are tired of getting the run about, lies, over charging, and bad customer service. We are looking for a new place to get work done to put us at ease. What are your opinions on the following places? We just want a shop we can completely TRUST, that does great work at a fair price.

Free Spirit Marine- ?

Sherwood Marine- ?

Supreme Marine- ?

Rainbow Marine- ?

Tournament Ski and Marine- ?

Any others- ?

We should all help each other here for anyone reading this thread. Having boat problems is stressful enough, but having a mechanic you can't trust just makes it worse! I don't want anyone else to experience any horror stories and don't want to go through anymore myself!!

skidderman
02-20-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't know about the others but I have had horrible experiences with Rainbow Marine. They treated me like dirt and were very arrogant. Maybe they just didn't like me but what started out as a simple thing turned into a nightmare I will never forget.

If you can find a small shop where the owner is involved you are likely better off. There used to be a great guy in Edmonton but he passed away a few yrs ago.

You might even want to try to locate a marine mechanic that moonlights. at least you don't need to deal with a bunch of over-priced hot-heads once you are done.

Sorry Rainbow you wouldn't take my unused forteen dollar item back the last time so I got my money back just writing this.

lifesaflyin
02-20-2010, 11:56 PM
I only trust myself. i do all my own work including rebuilding engines. only thing i dont touch is carbs, cylinder honing/plating and pressing new bearing onto cranks. by choice, because i dont feel like doing it lol

serously, invest in a repair manual and a few hours of free time. even if you screw up 1 part, it is usually worth less than a shop rate.:) and most stuff is easly done at home.

sco22
02-21-2010, 09:17 AM
I take my boat to Sherwood Marine every year and I trust them completely. Tim runs a small shop and service is what keeps him in business. Give them a try - you won't regret it.

Cheers.

randster
02-21-2010, 10:07 AM
My husband and I are looking for some advice on the following Edmonton Marine places. We are tired of getting the run about, lies, over charging, and bad customer service. We are looking for a new place to get work done to put us at ease. What are your opinions on the following places? We just want a shop we can completely TRUST, that does great work at a fair price.

Free Spirit Marine- ?

Sherwood Marine- ?

Supreme Marine- ?

Rainbow Marine- ?

Tournament Ski and Marine- ?

Any others- ?

We should all help each other here for anyone reading this thread. Having boat problems is stressful enough, but having a mechanic you can't trust just makes it worse! I don't want anyone else to experience any horror stories and don't want to go through anymore myself!!

Good luck with that. If you find one let me know. I have owned a boat since 2001 and am still looking for good service as well. (horror stories many)
The shops are really busy in the summer months and are booked weeks or months ahead.(not their fault) I got mine serviced at sherwood marine last spring (about a week turn around for a small job) and they were nice people, but seemed a bit unorganised. They called and said my boat was ready but when I went in, it wasn't quite ready. It looked like they dropped my engine cover in the gravel, found with chips and scratches in the paint job.
I ordered a manual for my engine and am planning on doing my own service and mantainance my self.IMO my 2 cents
PS My wife's uncle said Wizard marine in Calmar is a good place to deal with.

kinwahkly
02-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Dandy auto and marine in airdrie

seahawkfisher
02-21-2010, 10:27 AM
i've had good experiences with snowman marine in edmonton; very small one-man outfit - i think he specializes in johnson/evenrude but i'm not too sure (that's what i have and he has helped me out)

cheers

HunterDave
02-21-2010, 01:01 PM
I've done alright with Tournament Marine in Acheson. They've always done the required repairs quickly and at a fair price.

I've heard horror stories about a couple of other places that you've mentioned.

bbaxter
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
I used to deal with Bob at Snowman Marine. I found him to be fair with his work and with his pricing. He did good work with my older Evinrude and Johnson motors ... he should, he specializes in those name brands. I even bought a case of Evinrude XD-30 outboard motor oil from him - got a good deal. However, I did say that I USED to deal with him because we came to a major disagreement concerning the oil I bought from him. Immediately after purchasing the oil from him, I found some other oil that I found to be excellent. When I asked him if I could return the oil that I bought from him, he said no. He said no because I found and used other oil. This is really too bad because now I have a good case of oil that he refuses to let me return and also because now I have to find another shop. Life happens. Anyone out there need a case of 2-stroke outboard marine oil ... good price!

I-Love-Eyes
08-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Free Spirit Marine is a great place to take your boat for service. Thane and his crew are very helpful. It is a very busy shop so you need to book an appointment, but usually, turnaround is about a week.

Tournament Ski & Marine--I have not had my boat there, but I was looking for some parts to connect the kicker fuel line to the main motor fuel line and they told me what I needed, and exactly how to do it myself, and then told me to go to Gregg Distributors for the said parts because I could get them cheaper there. Good 1st impression of integrity.

I just stay away from Rainbow--period.

EdwardsZX
08-18-2010, 10:03 AM
X2 on Dandy Marine. Great guys to deal with. Top notch service work

crown royal 17
08-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Sun Seeker Marine in Athabasca the owner and his staff are the best people I have found . I had my boat worked on numerous places over the years now I don't go anywere else.
Very nice people
Excellent Techs
Helpful.

PoorTurtle
08-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Sherwood Marine is the only place I will go. Tim is a great guy to deal with. I had my tanny redone on my 150 merc. last time. He even said I could buy the parts on line if I wanted and he would just do the labour.

Dark
08-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Recreational Power Sports west end Edm.

courjaco
12-10-2010, 02:57 PM
ship wreck marine is very good on 50th st

linger
12-10-2010, 04:53 PM
if you don't mind some helpful advice stay away fron rainbow marine / barry jay marine bunch of crooks free spiret marine is not bad got some parts there good service friendly staff if you don.t mind a drive there is a great place in athabasca works fairly reasonble can't remember the name though small family buissnes hope this helps

Brock1
12-10-2010, 05:27 PM
stay away from sherwood marine!! gave them 2 shots at my business and got fu&&*% both times bad!!!! Ill buy a new boat before I give Tim and his wife 1 cent of my money. what a Douch* bag!!!

kinwahkly
12-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Dandy auto and Marine in airdrie!!!!!

hoss2
12-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Had good service at Free Spirit Dropped off my boat on a Saturday picked it up the following Saturday. Very pleased with them.

horsetrader
12-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Recreational Power Sports west end Edm.

X2 been dealing with them for 2 years always treated me fair and went above and beyond.

Tyangelo
12-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Cars RV and Marine in Leduc seems to be decent. They've done a good job winterizing our boat for the last 3 years, and the parts desk guys are pretty helpful.

LeonH
12-11-2010, 06:11 AM
X2 been dealing with them for 2 years always treated me fair and went above and beyond.

I have nothing but the best to say about these guys. Service quality is the best part.

woyer4
12-11-2010, 01:25 PM
SHERWOOD MARINE WILL screw you at some point. Tim and his wife are a bunch of crooks, last time i brought my boat there for winterization they left a hos off in the engine compartment over heated and flooded my boat ,not good, what ever you do DONT GO THERE!!!!

SCRUB
12-11-2010, 01:35 PM
wizard lake marine is great, or you can have a brother in law that is a marine mechanic.:sHa_shakeshout:

TrophyPikeHunter
12-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Unless things have changed since the staff shake-up late this summer, I must strongly disagree with this. I would caution anybody about taking their boat/motor to these guys...

bearbuster
12-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Clearwater Marine in Rocky. I have never had a problem and have been to more than once.

Jiffy10
12-14-2010, 09:26 AM
I had to get some warrenty work on a new Merc. this summer.
All Merc dealers said it would take 3 weeks.

The Merc. hot line told me to call Gibbons Motorsports.

Wow... they ordered the part and had my boat in and fixed
in two days...... I went to pick it up.... didnt even sign
a warrenty form . They just said it was done and to enjoy
my summer.
Small town atmosphere and great service.....

quad&boatguy
01-15-2011, 11:54 AM
If your willing to drive south there is a small shop in carstairs that has done some repairs on my old johnson, had all the parts in a few days and I was back on the water. Alberta power sports They work on all makes and models parts are cheap as well.

dragon
01-15-2011, 10:38 PM
depends on what your getting done. IF your rebuilding an engine, fibreglass repairs... accessories.. each shop is different.

my parents bought a boat from shipwreck in 97- the boat is excellent and the after service was good.... slow but good as they are all busy.

My advice is before any motor work is done take some time to read up on what your problems are and what soem solutions are... knowledge is the only prevention you have from getting screwed at any shop.

MK2750
01-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Cars RV and Marine in Leduc seems to be decent. They've done a good job winterizing our boat for the last 3 years, and the parts desk guys are pretty helpful.

Glad you had good service but if somrthing goes wrong you will have problems. I worked for these clowns in Red Deer years ago and had to go through the labor board to get paid. THEY ARE AS CROOKED AS THEY COME!

angler1
01-16-2011, 10:46 AM
I had to get some warrenty work on a new Merc. this summer.
All Merc dealers said it would take 3 weeks.

The Merc. hot line told me to call Gibbons Motorsports.

Wow... they ordered the part and had my boat in and fixed
in two days...... I went to pick it up.... didnt even sign
a warrenty form . They just said it was done and to enjoy
my summer.
Small town atmosphere and great service.....

X2 Tim and his crew have always treated me fairly and in an expediant manner.

freeones
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
I used to deal with Bob at Snowman Marine. I found him to be fair with his work and with his pricing. He did good work with my older Evinrude and Johnson motors ... he should, he specializes in those name brands. I even bought a case of Evinrude XD-30 outboard motor oil from him - got a good deal. However, I did say that I USED to deal with him because we came to a major disagreement concerning the oil I bought from him. Immediately after purchasing the oil from him, I found some other oil that I found to be excellent. When I asked him if I could return the oil that I bought from him, he said no. He said no because I found and used other oil. This is really too bad because now I have a good case of oil that he refuses to let me return and also because now I have to find another shop. Life happens. Anyone out there need a case of 2-stroke outboard marine oil ... good price!

He's treated you well in the past and he gave you a deal on the oil, and you're PO'd because he won't let you return it for no other reason than you found a better deal?

If I was Bob at Snowman Marine, I'd be glad you weren't coming back.

lund17
03-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I have a 2005 Lund with 135HP Evinrude and fimilair with three of these places. I had great service from Rainbow Marine until they got bought out by Barry Jays Marine. Tried to get service from them but got the run around and finally told me they would not service my boat because I had Evinrude motor. I knew the mechanic's that came over from Rainbow marine and they confirm this. They took pity on me and spent a few hours with me teaching the basic servicing and showed me the tools to buy. Haven't been back since.

Needed some work after that so went over to Sherwood Marine. Tim was great at first. My boat was hit while i was trailering it, took in to Tim and he looked after it through insurance. Next spring I needed a tune up and took it back in and they completely screwed me over on the bill. Spent two hours arguing with them and then Tim says he will show me his cost to prove that he isn't hosing me so I agree. Go to office and pull up the info, Tim gets all flustered, red in the face, starts mubliming says he will give me $200 bucks off the bill. I had to settle on that amount but I never did get to see his costs. Over the two years I dealt with Sherwood marine, I sent alot of people (family and friends) his way that needed boat service. Over time Tim screwed them all over.

Off to Free Sprit Marine my next time. They completed the work I needed done but they could have taken more time to clean up and tuck wiring away. Pricing was good and completed on time. I will go back again if I need something major done.

Noticed Sherwood Marine is closing it's doors. Any one hear why?

dragon
03-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Bought a boat this weekend from Shipwreck. bought one back in 1993 from Pat the owner and bought this one from him as well too this weekend. Interesting conversation as to why he was working as he retired a while ago.

He said that he felt that his service department had been slipping in overall customer service and that he came out of reitrement to help bring it back to the level he expceted and the customers demanded.

Take it for what it was... our 1993 16ft campion allante with a 90 hp MERC only had one repair over $300 so I cant' really comment on the service!

hogsmoker
03-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Ya, Sherwood Marine is closing it's doors. Lund 17 don't be surprised when you take your boat to Free Spirit and see Tim working on it because that is were he is at know with a couple of his staff from Sherwood Marine.

lund17
03-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Ya, Sherwood Marine is closing it's doors. Lund 17 don't be surprised when you take your boat to Free Spirit and see Tim working on it because that is were he is at know with a couple of his staff from Sherwood Marine.

Thanks for the update. As I spend most of time fishing at Calling Lake, I have stopped in at Sun Seeker Marine just south of Athabasca and the staff seem to know their stuff. Will have to give them a try this year.

bobalong
03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I have used a few different ones in Edmonton and I have had the best price and service from Free Spirit Marine. Been going there for about the last 6 years.

liar
03-21-2011, 09:36 PM
sun seeker marine in athabasca are straight shooters , fair prices and honest advice .

alodar
03-21-2011, 10:26 PM

x2

lund17
05-05-2011, 05:02 PM
I was driving down sherwood park freeway and noticed there is a new boat service place opening up in the old Sherwood Marine building. Anyone got info?

Flyfisher87
05-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Battle River Recreation Repair in Camrose. I worked there for almost two years ( finished off my parts apprenticeship there) 8 years ago. The owner was very involved with the shop. In fact, he did 95% of the major marine work. I don't know if he still owns the place or not. He also had a really good guys that knew his ATV and snowmobile stuff. I ran the parts dept there from 01-03 and I can tell you that the small business atmosphere was great for customer service. I know this info is outdated. Hope this helps.