PDA

View Full Version : Strikemaster Magnum - Review

abrigger
02-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Well I tool the plunge and bought myself a power auger. After researching the Jiffy Eskimo and Strikemaster brands I decided on Strikemaster.

I wanted to keep the price around $500 so the Magnum or the Lasermag were my choices. My choice was made for me when I could not find a Lasermag in all of Edmonton. I bought the Magnum for about $450 + tax and spent another $35 on the 24" extension.

First day out: Problem! The pull cord was not checked or tuned properly out of the factory which resulted in it catching off the track wheel and breaking second pull!!! Not a big deal but disappointing. We took the top off, respooled the cord and tied it together (now just 1/3 shorter than stock). We also had to adjust the tension on the spool. The screw was too tight and not recoiling well. Minor adjustment and we were off!

Aside from the first minor set back, the auger has operated perfectly so far.

I have been out 5 times and drilled many holes per trip. So the specifics;

1. Starting. Like a dream. Yet to not have it start up within a couple pulls.

2. Drilling. You have to put some weight into it unlike the lasermag, but it drills great. Been drilling through 3.5ft of ice in no time. It is quite the workout actually, holding that torque back. You will notice your shoulders, arms, legs core getting quite muscular if you are drilling 10 holes a day 3 days a week!!! Thats a good thing IMO. You have to make sure there is no ice frozen on the auger or it impacts the performance alot.

3. Ergonomics. I like the throttle being flat, it allows you to be at full throttle with your hands on the handles and your wrist on the throttle. Can put some good weight into the hole with like this.

Not much of a review but there you have it. I really like this auger up to this point. If this is how it runs for the next 10 yrs, I will be very happy with this purchase.

turnpike
02-21-2010, 06:33 PM
believe strikemaster is the brand chosen by pyzer. I would think it would have to be pretty good!

linger
02-21-2010, 07:23 PM
glad your having good luck with your strike master i have the strikemastermagnum 111 plus about 20 years old all the maintance i have done on it is a carb kit and thats it 10 times the machine the jiffy is good luck with :)

marlin1
02-21-2010, 08:31 PM
had my strikemaster for 15 years or so , still running along.Had to replace the plug and the recoil but little else . they sure have gone up though I think the wife paid 150 for mine on sale at wally world