PDA

View Full Version : burntstick

ryker
02-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Any reports on the pike and perch fishing Never caught a perch yet so any pointers would be great thanks

nicemustang
02-22-2010, 01:06 PM
No pointers on last fishing report, haven't been there in a month but can tell you some tips for catching perch at burnstick.

You need to be in 25 - 28 FOW. Location doesn't seem to matter as we've been all over and caught many perch. I prefer the west side near the cabins and boat launch. You can access the lake there. Usually lots of people in this area. Perch bite the best at first light and then again late afternoon, but we've pulled them out consistently all day long. Size can be an issue, but a good moto is "where there are little ones, there are big ones". There can be good sized ones found.

Basic lures to start out with are:
- small spoons like a forage minnow shown here (http://www.amazon.com/Northland-Forage-Minnow-JigN-Spoons/dp/B000CBRBN6)
- or small sweedish pimple, silver
- small size 5 of diamonds (red not black diamonds)
- Hali jigging spoon shown here (http://www.johnnyspond.com/hali-spoon-ice-fishing-lures.html)
**Tip these with maggots, shrimp (cooked), mealworms or perch eyes

- if you are getting lots of bites, upsize lure to try to discourage little ones and target big ones.
- a rig with a 1/64 or 1/32 oz jig head or bro bug or mud bug jig head and tie a small shrimp style fly under the jig head (4-6" below) seems to work well.
- tip jig head with shrimp or mealworm, fly can be plain or with a maggot

- for the bigguns, the best bet is a 1/32 oz jig head with a small minnow. You can get perch sized minnows at some fishing store, these seem to work well for me. The small ones will be attracted but it will bring in the big ones. Bounce off bottom lightly and slowly. For best results, use a fish cam and pull it away from the little ones.

Pike: Not a lot of big pike in burnstick, but there is quite a few smaller ones which can be fun to chase. I don't know of a particular place, but west or east side along the flats in 5-15 FOW should produce.

ryker
02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks Mustang for the great info almost got it before me and the two boys tried the lake monday got there at 900 tons of perch on the camera but not very hungry tried almost everything you recomended ended up on the side with the cabins fished in 8-20fow straight out from the last cabin hooked one 6incher in the belly some how talked to a fellow said his wife caught 2 14inchers in march when its better he said Had 3 other bites on pike setups one was lost at the hole by my son. Great day in all even cooked some winees on the fire. seen some guys on skidos hualing a tent go way up to where stoney comes in wander if they looking for trout seen a pic in Caroline of 15lb brown that came out of there a couple years ago. thanks again

nicemustang
02-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Glad you had a good time. Perch can be finicky for sure. One day nothing, the next 100! If you can manage to get there again and fish either a little earlier in the morning or later in the day, you'd have some better luck.

d bowhunter
02-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Just wanted to thank Mustang for the tips, its hard to get tips off of this site most wont say were or what about the lakes. Thanks mustang maybe I can return the favore some day. Dave

lyons6
02-27-2010, 10:00 PM
if you return try a small pink and white bucktail jig with pink maggots, always worked for me, summer or hard water.