PDA

View Full Version : Perch Perch and more Perch

Fishgut
02-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Out on Saterday, caught our limit of perch between 12 and 14 inches.Only one Pike.8 lbs released.

nicemustang
02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Did your hall look as good as this? :)

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/IMG00014-20100221-1933.jpg

RedFisher
02-22-2010, 01:22 PM
nice perch.... where abouts did you get those..

nicemustang
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
In a lake in alberta. :)

RedFisher
02-22-2010, 02:06 PM
LOL...:lol::lol: just wondering North EAST SOUTH OR WEST... im heading out to lac. la biche ... soon for some perch and wondering if there picking up or not..

DJS
02-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Was out on Lac La Biche the other day for about 4 hours and managed to get my limit of perch all in the 10 to 12 inch range. Couldn't keep them of the hook. Just had to sort through the small ones. Was a fun morning.

Fishgut
02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Nice pics but everything we caught were hump backs. I would post pictures but do not know how to resize them.

Buck Krazy
02-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Nicemustang, you should change your name to notverynicemustang! lol!! Nice fish buddy!

Paul C
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
In a lake in alberta. :)
They were caught in water undeneath the frozen water. A sharp hook:evilgrin: makes the difference.

iliketrout
02-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Nice pics but everything we caught were hump backs. I would post pictures but do not know how to resize them.

Since everyone has paint, this is a fairly easy method:

1) Find picture, right click, hit "Open with Paint"
2) Click on "Image", then "Stretch/Skew"
3) Under Stretch, put the same number in Horizontal and Vertical. Usually 25% is enough.
4) Click File, then "SAVE AS". Do not hit Save, you'll lose the original picture definition. Just save with a different name.

You can do it in Microsoft Office Picture Manager as well, under Picture, then Resize.

Fishgut
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
first try

iliketrout
02-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Nice looking humpbacks! I bet they tasted great!

nicemustang
02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Yep those are beauty's. I didn't travel far...if that makes it more vague LOL.

Fishgut
02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
think I have it now

nicemustang
02-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Yes very nice. While I can't compete much in size, I can tell you that 30 8" perch filleted takes a lot of work, but enough for many many meals LOL.

RedFisher
02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
think I have it now

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have the exact same screwdriver.... :lol::lol::lol: small world after all

Redfrog
02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Fishgut I think I recognize that lake from the first picture.:D

I see the roe off to the side, do you eat it?

Walleyes
02-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Nice northern fish.. Been a while since I have seen perch like that.. Well done..

Fishgut
02-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Yes I love perch eggs, my aunt and I are the only ones in the family that eat them, so she gets 3/4 I keep 1/4. But I don't mind she's in her seventies and she can't fish anymore....and she's the one who got me started on them. Anyone else out there eat the eggs.

AK47
02-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Nice catch there:). I wish there would be more perch fishing derbies here... not the ones where you win by catching one biggest fish but like we had in Europe - two rounds of 3 hr fishing in two different areas and total weight wins.
Guys at Sundance should do it more often and let non residents participate, that would help them to get rid of quite a few perch.

DoubleA-Ron
02-22-2010, 07:05 PM
here are a few we got today, only out an hour, not bad

lensgarage
02-22-2010, 07:06 PM
nice fish how do you cook the row. I tried jackfish eggs with some butter and garlic it wasnt too bad

Redfrog
02-22-2010, 07:21 PM
We used to eat the roe when we were kids. Dipped in egg and lightly breaded, then deep fried. I haven't had it for years, but if i get a chance to get some perch, I'll try it again.
My mother was from NFLD so we were introduced to cod roe, cheeks and tongues. It seemed a natural progression to perch roe and pickerel cheeks.:D

tchow
02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Yes I love perch eggs, my aunt and I are the only ones in the family that eat them, so she gets 3/4 I keep 1/4. But I don't mind she's in her seventies and she can't fish anymore....and she's the one who got me started on them. Anyone else out there eat the eggs.

I'm in........Tasty fried or steamed

Fishgut
02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Dipped in egg light coating flour, salt, pepper, garlic,and a little lemon throw them in the pan. Fry till brown and enjoy. Some of the family can't even watch us eat them oh well more for us.

King Midas
02-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Was out on Lac La Biche the other day for about 4 hours and managed to get my limit of perch all in the 10 to 12 inch range. Couldn't keep them of the hook. Just had to sort through the small ones. Was a fun morning.

Which side of the lake were you on?

Hunter Trav
02-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey is that a Kershaw knife in those pics??? If it is how do you like it? I am looking to get a new fillet knife and I really like the other Kershaw knifes I have...

spopadyn
02-24-2010, 05:30 PM

Funny how a guy like you who keeps his spots secret wants to know where this guy caught his fish> Funny.....

RedFisher
02-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Funny how a guy like you who keeps his spots secret wants to know where this guy caught his fish> Funny.....

You know what go **** yourself ... that all .... and read what i asked N E S W ... i was not asking for exact spot i was just trying to figure out if they were picking up by lac la biche ... i was not asking for an exact spot just a general idea. .... :evilgrin::evilgrin:

big
02-24-2010, 08:33 PM
You know what go **** yourself ... that all .... and read what i asked N E S W ... i was not asking for exact spot i was just trying to figure out if they were picking up by lac la biche ... i was not asking for an exact spot just a general idea. .... :evilgrin::evilgrin:

dont worry about it man...some people on here are old, very small, poor, and just plain losers so they like to talk ****.. i wouldn't mind wacking a few forum members in the face sometime. thats my ultimate goal. lol jkjk

howlin
02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
you are pathetic.step up tough guy .im sure the intelligent guys on the forum will teach u some respect.this is 2 posts from you that ive read in short order that discredits you huge .havent you got some homework to finish.oh ps i wrote this slow cause i know you cant read fast(duh its the internet you can say anything you want)nice try baitboy:evilgrin:

spopadyn
02-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFisher

Posted by spopadyn

Posted by RedFisher
You know what go **** yourself ... that all .... and read what i asked N E S W ... i was not asking for exact spot i was just trying to figure out if they were picking up by lac la biche ... i was not asking for an exact spot just a general idea. ....

Look at how offended RedFisher got on the other thread, even though he was asking. I don't get guys like him. Nothing personal, but you are a guy who doesn't practice what you preah. Keep up the chest pounding you fish slaying titan!

howlin
02-24-2010, 10:18 PM
ok thats it ,dont make me separate you two lol

Fishgut
02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Chest pumping (NOT) I posted the pictures to show people there were perch worth looking for in Alberta yet. As for giveing out info on the lake itself, been there did that about 20 years ago some of you may have heard of a lake called Mink, North and West of Slave. When I started fishing it there were 4 people on that lake all winter,within five years after one wrong person found out about it 15"-16" became 10", couple years later 7" and 8" was the norm. It was nothing to see 300 to 400 people out there, I worked in the Oil Patch back then and even if we plowed a cutline past what looked like a slough you could bet the first chance I got I was drilling holes to check it out. A lot of times thats all it was, but you never know, did find afew spots that produced. Now I'll tell you where I got these Humpbacks ( off this site ) by useing the old noodle and reading between the lines. You people nowadays want everything handed to you on a silver platter, I didn't spend hundreds of dollers finding big fish I spent thousands, so if you have the money I can be bought. Send me a certified cheque for ten thousand dollers and I will take you out to catch the big ones, ( you will be drugged and blindfolded both going and coming back but you will catch)........hahahahahaha

goober
02-25-2010, 09:55 AM

I eat eggs as well but Pike eggs are my favorite. I find them much more flavorful than Perch eggs. Ukrainian Caviar!!:lol::wave:

Fishgut
02-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Really like the Kershaw had mine about 12 years now this one has 3 blades 1 serated blade, a 7" and a 8 "

Fishgut
02-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Gas auger is being fixed so took the electric can't drive on the lake, so took two batteries and loaded up the gear in the sled. Pull everything out with the Ski-Doo and when I get out to my spot I find 1 screw holding one of the blades is gone. So tighten the other one with the Leatherman start digging, couple inchs retighten, half way through battery one goes dead, second battery lasts the rest of the hole and one more. Meanwhile I have 3 blood blisters from pinching my finger with the Leatherman. Now I at least have two holes but know way of digging more, but like we say in the patch oil well. So start fishing,from ten till quarter to six have two on the ice so slow both 14" all of a sudden the bite is on and by 6:30 I have my limit plus released a few others. Happier than a pig in s___ I load up make about 300 meters and the fuel line starts to leak, figuring I have some spare line in the toolbox no problem even if it is getting dark. Needless to say my son thought he needed it for his quad one day and never replaced it. Now what, found a pen in my pocket so unscrewed it and used the bottom part pushed it in between the two pieces and off I go. What a day (GOTTA LOVE IT) Pics to follow.

Fishgut
02-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Ate a couple thousand perch today lol.

nicemustang
02-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Great haul!

walking buffalo
02-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Try making caviar with those eggs. Easy and delicious.

Make small batches, adjust salt content in brine to your taste.

http://www.honest-food.net/blog1/2009/12/02/how-to-make-caviar/

http://www.premiersystems.com/recipes/appetizers/caviar.html

fishunter
02-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Chest pumping (NOT) I posted the pictures to show people there were perch worth looking for in Alberta yet. As for giveing out info on the lake itself, been there did that about 20 years ago some of you may have heard of a lake called Mink, North and West of Slave. When I started fishing it there were 4 people on that lake all winter,within five years after one wrong person found out about it 15"-16" became 10", couple years later 7" and 8" was the norm. It was nothing to see 300 to 400 people out there, I worked in the Oil Patch back then and even if we plowed a cutline past what looked like a slough you could bet the first chance I got I was drilling holes to check it out. A lot of times thats all it was, but you never know, did find afew spots that produced. Now I'll tell you where I got these Humpbacks ( off this site ) by useing the old noodle and reading between the lines. You people nowadays want everything handed to you on a silver platter, I didn't spend hundreds of dollers finding big fish I spent thousands, so if you have the money I can be bought. Send me a certified cheque for ten thousand dollers and I will take you out to catch the big ones, ( you will be drugged and blindfolded both going and coming back but you will catch)........hahahahahaha

keep the ten thous. i will do it for the drugs. fish are all over most lakes

Fishgut
02-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Looked at the two sites never tried it but sounds good. Going out Sat or Sun for more perch definately going to give it a try,thank you for the idea.

Shmag
02-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Congrats Fishgut... Nice perch!!!

uicehole
02-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Nice haul. I haven't seen quality perch like that in years. :cry: Envious of your opportunities up North.

WayneChristie
02-26-2010, 07:22 AM
nice fish! thanks for sharing the pics. from the looks of that roe, you might want to come hang around when they "fix" the bulls around here, pick up some more tasty treats :lol::lol::lol::sick:

Fishfinder
02-26-2010, 07:36 AM
nice fish! thanks for sharing the pics. from the looks of that roe, you might want to come hang around when they "fix" the bulls around here, pick up some more tasty treats :lol::lol::lol::sick:

:lol:Jus made my day!:lol: EEEEWWWWW!

Fishgut
02-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Great idea Wayne but I farm up here so raise my own. Here are just a few of the foods I like ( Liver, kidney, heart, tongue, tripe, gizzard, rabbit brains, beaver (four legged) muskrat, pigeon. When I was young I used to eat raw bacon, partridge and liver (slides down so smooth on a fresh kill) But due to peoples opinions I stay away from the raw stuff, well except for a slice of raw partridge in the fall. How about yourself.

Fishgut
02-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Actually not raw but cold smoked

goober
02-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Great idea Wayne but I farm up here so raise my own. Here are just a few of the foods I like ( Liver, kidney, heart, tongue, tripe, gizzard, rabbit brains, beaver (four legged) muskrat, pigeon. When I was young I used to eat raw bacon, partridge and liver (slides down so smooth on a fresh kill) But due to peoples opinions I stay away from the raw stuff, well except for a slice of raw partridge in the fall. How about yourself.

I like your style Fishgut!! The only thing on your list that I have eaten and not liked is Tripe. I don't know why just something about it. Moose brain is good as well! Moose tongue sandwiches are delish!!

Nice haul of perch by the way!!:wave:

maxpower2506
02-28-2010, 07:21 AM
dont worry about it man...some people on here are old, very small, poor, and just plain losers so they like to talk ****.. i wouldn't mind wacking a few forum members in the face sometime. thats my ultimate goal. lol jkjk

Wow A new low for what is usually a fairly civil forum!!!!!!!!

Fishgut
02-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Nice piece of detective work there Gobber you figured it out (Lake I) with red maggots. I couldn't believe it myself that they would make that much difference but it was the same for us white maggots 7" to 8" put on the red and the size shot up, even took over buddies hole started pulling up big guys. Funny how that works, good to hear you were catching some some In the 13" range. Maybe we should start a DETECTIVE AGENCY since we both figured the where and what from the board. I wasn't to sure if I should put them in the pic, but what the heck seasons getting short with this warm weather. Oh bye the way have a few packs of white left if anyone wants them.... hahahahaha

goober
02-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Nice piece of detective work there Gobber you figured it out (Lake I) with red maggots. I couldn't believe it myself that they would make that much difference but it was the same for us white maggots 7" to 8" put on the red and the size shot up, even took over buddies hole started pulling up big guys. Funny how that works, good to hear you were catching some some In the 13" range. Maybe we should start a DETECTIVE AGENCY since we both figured the where and what from the board. I wasn't to sure if I should put them in the pic, but what the heck seasons getting short with this warm weather. Oh bye the way have a few packs of white left if anyone wants them.... hahahahaha

Too funny!! Congrats on the catch!!:wave::wave:

Fishgut
02-28-2010, 09:53 AM
darn

Fishgut
02-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Well here's what happens when people find out to much info . I phone the store to see if they could hold a couple bags of red maggots for me, sorry sold out. So jumped in the truck figured better get out and check out couple more places. Two of the three stores were sold out but was able to get the last 3 bags at the third. But the funniest was the second store he told me there was a huge run on red maggots this morning, said one guy was in bought 4 bags white and two red felt markers. ( I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants )

Fishgut
12-01-2011, 08:41 PM
think I have it now

here are pics from last year

Guitarplayingfish
12-01-2011, 09:28 PM
This is a disturbing threat... Im going to sit out of this Brain and tongue eatting conversation... :sick:

I've heard of eggs before.. But rabbit Brains!? You Zombie you