PDA

View Full Version : Taking the dog fishing

flynick
02-23-2010, 07:01 AM
I live in leduc and travel out to the trunk road quite often and would like to bring my best friend. I have a 3 year old boarder collie that i would love to bring along with me but would need some more obidience training. can anyone recommend anywhere or share some experiences on what it is like taking your dog fishing with you?

goldscud
02-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Jay the "humblefisherman" took his dog everywhere with him, even in his raft. He now has a new dog that is coming along on the adventures.

http://www.youtube.com/user/humblefisherman?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/26/o4W2SqqG4BM

WayneChristie
02-23-2010, 07:14 AM
just remember, bears like to eat dogs, and where is the first place a dog will run to when something is wanting to eat it :evilgrin: had the same experience with an angry elk, and it wasnt even my dog!

madatter
02-23-2010, 07:20 AM
I live in leduc and travel out to the trunk road quite often and would like to bring my best friend. I have a 3 year old boarder collie that i would love to bring along with me but would need some more obidience training. can anyone recommend anywhere or share some experiences on what it is like taking your dog fishing with you?

My golden retriever is my main companion for fishing.
Loves being in a boat,loves being in the water,loves being with you.
About the only time its a hassle is if you are a fly fisherman,then splashing around in the water may be a problem.
Our dog likes to wander a bit but mostly sticks close....
Hes never been hooked and is in general very good when fishing.
About the only negative is how dirty they get and the work required before you can let them back in the house.....:lol:

jusfloatin
02-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I have had good days with my dog Buddy and I have had great days with my dog.
He always has a great day which adds to mine.

Maybe I am fortunate that he is not a runner and when I catch he is there like white on rice.

The more you take your dog the better of a companion he will become.

jusfloatin
02-23-2010, 08:09 AM
I forgot to mention he is not in agreement when it comes to catch and release. He gives me that look when I let them go?

DeanP
02-23-2010, 08:10 AM
I take my golden with me always, but only ice fishing!

I took her out on the boat for the first time last summer(she's 18mths old) and it wasn't too bad until I beached the boat and threw sticks out into the water for her to fetch. When I was done doing this, I put her back into the boat and starting casting; she was going crazy! She wanted to go fetch my lure!
So now she stays home when I go on the boat!

DeanP
02-23-2010, 08:14 AM
I forgot to add. When I catch a fish, she's eye balling the hole to see what is coming up! And when I pull the fish out, I tell her to "leave it" and she leaves it alone.
This is a good command for your dog to learn then they won't touch something that you don't want them to!

Plus I usually spend time throwing ice chucks for her to fetch during my time. She gets good exercise while I have a good time fishing.:)

loopyalcsel
02-23-2010, 08:14 AM
just remember, bears like to eat dogs, and where is the first place a dog will run to when something is wanting to eat it :evilgrin: had the same experience with an angry elk, and it wasnt even my dog!

Actually only grizzley bears and cougars like to eat dogs. Black bears that I always see on the trunk road fishing are afraid of my dog. My blue heeler scared off two bears on seperate occasions on the highwood last summer. Nevertheless they are wild animals and will eat anything if hungry enough... even you. Play it safe and carry a gun.

Gillfisher
02-23-2010, 08:56 AM
I take my American Cocker Spaniel fishing all the time he likes to sit up on the bow of my aluminum boat.

As another poster advised when I take him fishing along the river he gets very dirty and requires a bath when we get home.

Gillfisher

skain11
02-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I normally don't take my lab when flyfishing the bow in the city. I lose my concentration making sure she is isn't swimming through my hole, isn't bothering people on the bike path or getting tanlged in the line she can't see. When I use to take my first Lab she even wandered the shore while I waded and on more than one occasion helped herself to another fisher's lunch.

However when going backcountry Zoe usually get's to come however that too can be troublesome on a small creek...

sheephunter
02-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Get a good solid sit, down, stay and come and you should have years of enjoyment fishing with your dog. Our pup loves to go.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/sheephunterab/SprayLake1.jpg

nicemustang
02-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I have a jack russell with a short attention span. She's too much of a woose to go during winter, but she likes to fish in summer. She get super excited though when you catch a fish. She likes to swim as well, so she jumps off the back of the boat, goes for a swim, them comes back. It can be fun but annoying as well.

She's good good fish hunter though!
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/IMG_0161.jpg

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/IMG_0165.jpg

noisy mouse
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I take mine everywhere, in the canoe fly fishing to ice fishing. She's young and does not have the comands down solid ,so needless to say the occasional fish goes "missing" (still counts as part of my daily limit). I can attribute a fishing rod over the side of the canoe, and also an ice scoop down the hole to her:rolleye2:. She also loves to chase the fishing lures and fly line when i cast:lol: but she's only been hooked once. Needless to say it takes lots of patience - and for me anyways - you need to like the fishing more than the catching.
I would suggest keeping bait away from the ground and teach your dog that it's very very bad - there's always bait left behind on the ice and sometimes hooks attached. If you cant help that then bring a long leash and an ice anchor of some sort to tie them on. I use the front bumper to the truck ocasionally.

ice
02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
If you can take your dog out ice fishing. Its kind of a dog heaven. All this room to run around in. also in the summer its no diffrent, Its Not going to afftect the fising.
And who wants to be with you more then your best friend.
Ftmfw.

Ice:confused:

searay
02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
I take the GSP with me , hard water or in the summer. He loves it, watching him sniff the water and pace the pontoon boat is pretty funny. He's as intense as us on trying to catch something.. Family day he went from hole to hole sniffing until one of the boys would yell at him to move out of the way..

The Fish King
02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
I take my border collie/ great pyrenyse cross out all the time. She used to love to chase things...deer, moose, anything that moves haha but she is good now. The more you take them out the better they get. Fishing without a dog isnt really fishing at all. Its always nice to have a loyal companion

thumper
02-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Bears chasing dogs back to their masters is largely an urban myth fostered by eco-zealots and those that hate to see anyone else have fun in the outdoors:lol:
Sure it might happen the very odd time, -depends on the dog, but I'm sure it's far outweighed by the amount of times dogs have prevented bad encounters, or thwarted bear attacks.
A dogs far superior nose and hearing means that he knows a bear is around far before you do. He gives a couple of barks, - the bear knows you're there, you know the bear's there - everybody's on their best behaviour and there's no ugly surprises. Particularly when you're concentrating on fishin, it's nice to have a well behaved dog watching your back.
For 10,000 years people have worked in partnership with dogs!

thumper
02-23-2010, 03:46 PM
- of course you could leave your dog at home and take a bear fishing!
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/Charliefishingwithbiscuit.jpg

sheephunter
02-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Bears chasing dogs back to their masters is largely an urban myth fostered by eco-zealots and those that hate to see anyone else have fun in the outdoors:lol:
Sure it might happen the very odd time, -depends on the dog, but I'm sure it's far outweighed by the amount of times dogs have prevented bad encounters, or thwarted bear attacks.
A dogs far superior nose and hearing means that he knows a bear is around far before you do. He gives a couple of barks, - the bear knows you're there, you know the bear's there - everybody's on their best behaviour and there's no ugly surprises. Particularly when you're concentrating on fishin, it's nice to have a well behaved dog watching your back.
For 10,000 years people have worked in partnership with dogs!

Yup, a well trained dog is definitely your best friend in bear country.

genoel
02-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Bears are not your only concern. I have personally been chased by a cow moose for over a km after a friend's dog went and barked at its calf and then came running back when momma took offence. Could have turned out ugly, but she eventually lost interest and went on her way.

Soiler
02-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I take my 1 1/2 year old Beagle out with me all the time, Bearing in mind I have a collar on him that works up to 1/2 mile that he can't ignore, for when he acts like a kid & just does what he wants!

fishstix
02-23-2010, 06:04 PM
My dog Hueston comes fishing with me all the time. When he sees my fishing rod swinging hes on fish alert, and when im fighting a fish he knows! After releasing a fish, he will push his way in to where im standing and dip his head into the water too look for it.. Its crazy but hes actually quite a fishin buddy. He knows the rising fish sound, and if im sitting down having lunch or whatever, and a fish is rising he will let me know.
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad11/ryanb_71/trystdog.jpg
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad11/ryanb_71/hueston1.jpg
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad11/ryanb_71/dogpoundcreek.jpg
Fishstix!!

tonyflyfish
02-23-2010, 06:31 PM
my lab sits in the canoe or the boat. she hikes the rivers with me all the time. i just find a place i don't want to fish and let her swim for a while and then she only swims after i have fished a spot. she has learned to sit and wait for her turn. i trust her to chase bears if needed. if the bear wants to play chase with her then "oh well"

Walleyes
02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Nice pics and it is good to enjoy a day out with our pals but can I make a recommendation to some..

I was out on a local lake today for an afternoon fish, as soon as I pulled up to one of the popular spots it was easy to see that over the last couple days there were people there with their pets.. I say pets because the amount of tracks around and the amount of Sh!t around I can't see it being one dog. Which brings me to the topic of my little rant.. How about thinking of picking up behind your dog on the ice.. I mean really,, there must of been 6 or 8 piles of dog crap laying around just under the light skiff of snow.. Stepping in it today in the warm weather was not pleasant.. It really was quite disgusting and I am a dog owner..

Just something to keep in mind people.. You will not be the only ones to use an area please be respectful to other's..

Thx..

roachman
02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
I have had good days with my dog Buddy and I have had great days with my dog.
He always has a great day which adds to mine.

Maybe I am fortunate that he is not a runner and when I catch he is there like white on rice.

The more you take your dog the better of a companion he will become.

Had an 11 yr old pitbull who was past obedient and loved to fish. Fetched me a reel or two in the shallow water. Consistency is key. I now have 4 chihuahua's and a challenge for sure. They were runners and I have solved that to date. But routine and consistency is the way to go. Be the boss and you will have no probs. Heck... let him reel your fish in for ya!!!

WayneChristie
02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Had an 11 yr old pitbull who was past obedient and loved to fish. Fetched me a reel or two in the shallow water. Consistency is key. I now have 4 chihuahua's and a challenge for sure. They were runners and I have solved that to date. But routine and consistency is the way to go. Be the boss and you will have no probs. Heck... let him reel your fish in for ya!!!

chihuahaus eh? can I take them fishing?:evilgrin: might be even better than herring!

go-big-or-go-home
02-23-2010, 09:41 PM
my dog and i at my favorite walleye spot