PDA

View Full Version : Importing Ammo and Firearms from the US

Ray N
08-15-2007, 11:47 AM
I was wondering if anyone has attempted to import firearms from the other side of the border.
I am looking for some rifles I'd like to bring over the border.
Does anyone have any tips or experience regarding this situation?

Regards
Ray

sheephunter
08-15-2007, 11:51 AM
It is very difficult to get an export permit to do this. Bringing it into Canada is no problem but getting it out of the U.S. comes with all kinds of red tape. The best thing would be to contact the ATF in the U.S. to find out all the hoops that need to be jumped through. I don't think there is any way for you personally to bring it across the border but it can be shipped if you are willing to wade through the mountain of paperwork or there are some brokers that will do it for you.

Scott N
08-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Like sheephunter said, it's a real pain in the ***** to import guns / ammo from the US since 9/11. Unless it's something that isn't readily available in Canada, it's probably not worth the effort. These guys may be able to help you though:

http://www.questar.ca/

sheephunter
08-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Ya, at $225 per gun it gets expensive in a hurry plus it can be a very lengthy wait but if it is something unique, it may be worth it.

Good Ol' Boy
08-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I've never brought a gun across, but have imported a ton of ammo, Canada customs allows up to 5000 rounds at a time, i've never been asked for any kind of US export permit. Obviously theres a little more at risk with a gun.

SakoAlberta
08-15-2007, 12:17 PM
I've bought a dozen of so in from the US in the last couple of years. Here's a post of mine from another BB that gives you what you need to know. I'd be glad to help if you need any further info:

In the past few yrs, I've imported several Sakos from the U.S into Canada. You will need to register the rifle before it gets to the border and have an IIC completed(free). You will need someone to do the exporting paperwork too. I use 'LeRoys Big Valley Gunworks' in Montana. They charge $75 per firearm and you'll have some shipping from them to you as well. They are you FFL dealer so have the firearm shipped to them.

Here's the IIC:
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/trade/eicb/forms/documents/EXT1020.pdf

Here's the form to register imported firearms:

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online-en_ligne/form-assistance/pdfs/998_e.pdf

Here's LeRoy's address(Denise is usually your contact):

leroygun@nemontel.net

I hope this helps. Its not a difficult process but it takes several weeks or even a couple of months. You will have to pay duty on a Finwolf as its not made in Canada or the US(3.5%) otherwise, free trade would cover it. Also, customs will want 6% GST.

Redfrog
08-15-2007, 03:33 PM
SakoAlberta is right on the mark.

I've imported firearms from the U.S. without a hitch. I use Leroy's and Denise knows the procedure well. After the first one or two, if you have your ducks in a row it can take less than a month start to finish. an paperwork can be done while the U.S. paperwork is being done.

US made forearms.no duty, simply GST. use Postal service for all imports from the U.S. and avoid the rip off "broker fees" charged by UPS and the rest of the bandits.:D

SakoAlberta
08-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Yes, its actually quite an easy process. USA paperwork has been slow recently. Took about 5 wks for the ones I have coming now. Usually, only two to three weeks. trick is to get the IIC application in as soon as you buy. The registration can be done anytime, as long as its before they hit customs. there is also a purchase order that must be sent before LeRoy can process. I have a sample copy from LeRoy if anybody wants it. Its basically just a statement from you what you bought, how much you paid, who you bought it from and what you will use it for(personal vs sales)

GrandSlam
09-07-2007, 02:40 PM
SakoAlberta,

What is the process for buying through online auctions like gunbroker.com and such? Do you send the payment to the seller, then contact LeRoy and get paperwork done?

Thanks
GS

archdlx
09-08-2007, 11:16 PM
I agree with Sako....

Bought my Shiloh Sharps, came home, filled out the IIC and registration forms, faxed them to Denise, met Danny at his place at the border, he took it to customs, they gave it to me, I took it to Kanuckistan customs, paid duty, on my way home.

Leroys' charges 75$ to bring it to the border. No sweat.

Good Luck,
LeRoy....aka...archdlx.

SakoAlberta
09-19-2007, 03:28 PM
SakoAlberta,

What is the process for buying through online auctions like gunbroker.com and such? Do you send the payment to the seller, then contact LeRoy and get paperwork done?

Thanks
GS

sorry, been away for a bit. Yres, arrange payment and have them ship to LeRoy.

SakoAlberta
09-19-2007, 04:32 PM
btt

SakoAlberta
09-28-2007, 03:04 PM
btt

GrandSlam
09-28-2007, 05:10 PM
sorry, been away for a bit. Yres, arrange payment and have them ship to LeRoy.

Thanks for the info. Does it work the other way around too? I have some rifles that might sell better in the US and wonder how difficult it is to ship down?

Regards
GS

SakoAlberta
09-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Sorry, can't help you there. I've never sold one!! :O

LeRoy may be able to help though.

SakoAlberta
10-15-2007, 03:06 PM
btt

Okotokian
10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
never considered it before... but with the high Canadian dollar and the unwillingness of companies to adjust their prices to reflect the rise (aka "greed"), importing makes more and more sense.

Noel
10-18-2007, 07:45 AM
Yes, its actually quite an easy process. USA paperwork has been slow recently. Took about 5 wks for the ones I have coming now. Usually, only two to three weeks. trick is to get the IIC application in as soon as you buy. The registration can be done anytime, as long as its before they hit customs. there is also a purchase order that must be sent before LeRoy can process. I have a sample copy from LeRoy if anybody wants it. Its basically just a statement from you what you bought, how much you paid, who you bought it from and what you will use it for(personal vs sales)

What would you say is the finished total cost on top of the firearm when you finally have it in your hands? I've found two I really want but paying Questar almost 500 put a halt to that!:(

Thanks!
Noel

SakoAlberta
10-18-2007, 08:43 AM
well, its $75 for Leroy (although cheaper after the first one). Permits are all free. 6% GST, which I guess you pay anyway, even if you bought here. If its not made in NA there may be a 3.1% duty(I buy a lot of Sakos so I have to pay it)
However, the big wildcard is the shipping. I had some shipped out to NS and it was about $300. However, that was for five rifles. Its is about the same for five as for one. So, if you are getting multiple firearms, then the shipping isn't too bad.
I have five crossing the border any day now to AB. I'll let you know what the shipping is here.
(its expensive because of the customs requirements, not everybody will handle them)

Noel
10-18-2007, 03:16 PM
These ones aren't coming from too far away, Missouri I think.

I have a email sent in to Denise at Leroy's in hopes she can shed some light too. I will forward any info I find here to help fill everyone's safe with new toys.

Thanks for the help!

Noel

SakoAlberta
10-18-2007, 03:30 PM
They still have to go to MT from there. Good luck!

redcoat01
10-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Here is an excerpt from Canadian Border Services in regards to returning to Canada with ammunition ect purchased in the USA . Canadian returning to Canada can possess quanitities as listed for PERSONAL USE

However you must hold a POL/PAL to possess the Ammo in Canada :) .

Ammunition
You may import authorized sporting and competitive ammunition and reloading components for your personal use.

Quantities that may be imported for personal use and not for sale without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:

-small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
-primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
-empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4 kilograms and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds). Consult with the Explosives Regulatory Division at NRCan to determine if the ammunition you wish to import is authorized and approved for importation and use in Canada. Note that tracer, armour-piercing and similar military cartridges are prohibited under Canadian law.

dennisb
10-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I just got back from the U.S. last weekend. I asked the guy (Canadian Border Patrol) what I'd have to do to bring a gun back and he said as long as the gun was regestered I could bring it back.

Orion
10-19-2007, 07:58 AM
I just got back from the U.S. last weekend. I asked the guy (Canadian Border Patrol) what I'd have to do to bring a gun back and he said as long as the gun was regestered I could bring it back.

As far as Canadian regulations go, that's true. However, American law governs the export of firearms from the US. The above posters are correct, you need the proper American export paperwork completed.

SakoAlberta
10-19-2007, 08:46 AM
You don't want to be caught in the US with firearms without the proper permits. At the very least, you will lose them, if caught.
Once you get to the Canadian customs, you would only need the IIC and registration cards.

gube
10-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Is there anyplace decent where a guy can order reloading equipment on-line without getting hammered with exorbitant shipping fees.

archdlx
10-20-2007, 09:13 PM
this an order from Buffalo Arms...not too bad...as far as I'm concerned.

1 .45 Caliber Lyman Taper Crimp Dies up to 45X2.6" $16.59 $16.59
1 45-70 Government Lyman Die Set $37.99 $37.99
1 .45 cal. Rifle .030" Veg. Fiber Walters Wads $20.00 $20.00
1 .45 Cal. Rifle .060" Veg. Fiber Walters Wads $20.00 $20.00
1 SPG 3/4 Pound Block $22.00 $22.00
1 Lyman Stainless Steel Dial Caliper $24.09 $24.09
1 Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer $11.89 $11.89
1 Lyman Large Rifle Primer Pocket Uniformer $15.89 $15.89
1 45 Caliber Rifle Lyman Case Trimmer Pilot $3.99 $3.99
1 45 Cal. Rifle Compression Plug f/Lyman/RCBS Dies $18.00 $18.00
1 * Catalog 26 Postage Paid In the U.S., Foreign $12 * $3.00 * $3.00

Subtotal: $193.44
Shipping: * $32.25
Order Total: * $225.69

archdlx

SakoAlberta
10-29-2007, 01:56 PM
bump

BigBuck$
10-29-2007, 10:13 PM
I taked to my buddy back home in Sask. and he brought back a muzzeloader a couple of weeks ago (got it at Shield in Minot), didn't have any grief at the border but it did take him a couple of hours for the paperwork to get processed. He said he would do it again but next time get the forms filled out and faxed to customs to avoid the lengthy wait.

GrandSlam
11-04-2007, 06:59 PM
What is required to legally import brass from the US?

archdlx
11-06-2007, 06:57 AM
nothing....
just got 50 Graf 9.3x62 from Buffalo Arms, and expecting 100 more this week, my 45-2.1 is on backorder.

archdlx

bingo1010
11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
tried to order brass from cabelas and they say it is on the restricted list for canada.. as with bullets. go figure??

Noel
11-07-2007, 10:25 AM
nothing....
just got 50 Graf 9.3x62 from Buffalo Arms, and expecting 100 more this week, my 45-2.1 is on backorder.

archdlx

Nice caliber pick!:)

I've been looking at getting stocked up from them too. They look to have a very nice assortment and much better prices.

I contacted Ellwood Epps in Ontario about 30Rem brass and they wanted $32 for 50. Buffalow arms wants a mere $15 for the same quantity. I have to pay GST regardless and the shipping won't be much different either.

SakoAlberta
11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
The big retailers won't ship brass or other gun related things like scopes.

SakoAlberta
11-08-2007, 07:09 AM
I hd a PM from 'pinhead' in my mail this morning. I read it then deleted, thinking it would be here in my mailbox. Its not!

I'll answer here. You can buy the firearm from someone in the US, however, unless they are a private seller, they won't ship until you ask LeRoy to send a copy of his FFL to them. Once it arrives, they will ship to LeRoy.

Please email me again with any further questions. I'll be more careful next time!!

archdlx
11-10-2007, 11:20 AM
my prone cross sticks, 9.3 brass, long range targets, blow tube, came yesterday. Seventeen days from order date. Good service.
Now if they can just get some 45-2.1 brass, I'll be smilin' :)

archdlx

NoBull60
01-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I didn't know what to put in the title area. I hope this goes through.... I just found your forum while doing a search for a 223 Savage. I'm from Manitoba and I'm really liking your forum. ;) MUCH BETTER than some southern forums. My Question to you is: Will the procedures to bring firearms across to Alberta work for Manitoba? If not, is it possible to buy a rifle from someone in Alberta after it's been recieved and registered?:confused:
NoBull60

wapiti11
01-12-2008, 08:52 PM
NOBull60;
Importing firearms to Alberta or Manitoba is covered by federal legislation (Canadian) therefore what works for Alberta will work for Manitoba.
wapiti11

stubblejumper
01-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Importing firearms to Alberta or Manitoba is covered by federal legislation (Canadian)

Exporting firearms out of the U.S.,is covered by federal legislation.(U.S.)

Faststeel
01-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Brass and bullets in quantities of 900 rounds per order can be ordered from Sinclair International and its mighty cheap even with shipping from down there.
Here's an example Nosler 260 brass here $65.00, there $39.95
Hornet brass $36.00 here $19.00 down there.
Sierra 39 gr 204 cal here if you can find them $23.99, down there $16.72.
Doesn't take much of an order to save a pile on componants. FS

Stinky Coyote
01-13-2008, 10:01 AM
this thread should be a sticky

NoBull60
01-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied.:wave:
I believe it will easier to get what I need directly from the USA.
The suppliers in Mb. don't want to or can't order special items with their stock order.:(
Thanks,
NoBull60