PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon lake camping

mulecrazy
02-24-2010, 02:42 AM
Hello all,

Just looking for some recommendations on camping spots for pigeon. We are planning a trip with my wifes family for the end of may. We want a place that has some decent trees and is semi private. We also would like some shore fishing areas and beach areas. We were thinking about the provincial park but I am not sure on the fishing quality. Any help is appreciated.

cheers,

nicemustang
02-24-2010, 08:42 AM
I like the PP park for camping. Lots of trees, you can find good semi private sites, showers, store, beach, etc. The problem is shore fishing. It's pretty shallow around there and I'm not sure if you can have any luck. Plus it can be super busy with boats. Although at dawn and dusk there should be fish cruising the shallows, so yeah maybe a guys can have some luck. Never tried though.

WalleyeDeitz
02-24-2010, 09:41 AM
I agree with Stang. Took my family to the PP for holidays last year and we loved it. I think it would be very difficult to fish from shore on this lake as it is so shallow all the way around it. That being said, if you can find a canoe, or blow up a lil boat of some kind, you just need to paddle 300 yards or so our from the campground to where all the other boats are sitting (at the dropp off 5'-25') and ancor there while you jig. Get ready as your wrist will get sore with all the bites. I did see a few fishing from shore and did see them catch the very odd one, but it is difficult with all the boats coming and going. Last year the water level was very low I was told (first time there) so perhaps in a better year fishing from shore would be good.

DaveFish
02-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Just don't go may long to ppp, it gets really rowdy, my dad used to patrol it a lot, not a time to bring the family there if you want quietness

diesel777
02-24-2010, 12:50 PM
The provincial park is extremely beautiful with lots of trees. Getting around the water can be quite difficult with all the traffic. The north shore (Mulhurst Bay) has a very beautiful campground called (Hilah Ayers). Very large campground that has been growing in size over the last few years. This campground has the option of being more secluded in treed area or large open fields for fifth wheels and the such. You should book early if you can because the sites are scooped up quite quickly. They have a great boat launch area and just west of it by a hundred meters is a dock people use to fish from, this area has been known to get quite shallow but my sister in law caught a 14.5 lb pike as she was heading out from the dock, not 15 meters from it. Lucky I would say since I haven't seen another one like it from that area. In may though you just might find the odd lunker sunning itself in shallower waters. Muhurst bay is a great bay full of nice fish. Good luck. Oh and I've never been there on a may long weekend so don't know the tolerance level for partying youth.:D

mulecrazy
02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys!!! My father in law has a small boat and electric motor for some trolling that we will be using. Maybe the prov park is the way to go then. Without a doubt we will NOT be going may long. lol. I avoid camping that weekend. Its a gong show wherever you go. We were looking at the weekend after that. As far as walleyes go. We wouldn't mind one shore lunch of them. What is the normal size you bring out of there? Just wondering which draw to try for.

cheers,

Hannie
02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys!!! My father in law has a small boat and electric motor for some trolling that we will be using. Maybe the prov park is the way to go then. Without a doubt we will NOT be going may long. lol. I avoid camping that weekend. Its a gong show wherever you go. We were looking at the weekend after that. As far as walleyes go. We wouldn't mind one shore lunch of them. What is the normal size you bring out of there? Just wondering which draw to try for.

cheers,

The majority are class B fish.

mulecrazy
02-24-2010, 09:59 PM
The majority are class B fish.

thanks Hannie!

nicemustang
02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
yes but easier to get class c. and there are lots in there too. If you haven't bumped up your priority you might not get b. Put in for both.

Hannie
02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
yes but easier to get class c. and there are lots in there too. If you haven't bumped up your priority you might not get b. Put in for both.

From what I was told you could buy Class C as they were undersubscribed. I'm sure that will happen again as the Class C age group simply does not have the numbers as the Class B fish...not even close.

nicemustang
02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Yes, true. But then you have to call the 1-900 number and they charge you money to do so...plus you only can do it from a Telus land line. Might as well apply for both, it's doesn't cost anymore to apply for more than one class.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-24-2010, 10:57 PM
mulecrazy The Provincal Park is Beautiful to camp in . Like others have said some nice Shower houses , And the outhouses are taken very good care of . Feel free to Shoot me a Pm and I can give you some spots to fish from shore at Pigeon .