PDA

View Full Version : My Lake X Rant...

DeanP
02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
My Lake X rant:

I've been ice fishing for only two winters now, but I tell you, trying to find out info on what to use, where to go and how to do it, is such a big secret, its crazy. :scared: Some guys are really helpful but others are soo secretative it bad. I never did it before, so I just wanted to be able to go out and at least have a bite!:)

How many guys/gals do they think read this forum? Out of all the guys/gals that I've met on the ice, only a handful read/belong to this forum. So that means maybe 1 out 10(or 20) will actually tee into the spot where you stated was good fishing. I mean really, you won't arrive at your secret spot one day to find 100 plus folks fishing where your "honey hole" is.

I try to be helpful, with my little experience, to assist the new guy/gal who wants to be at least a bit successful.

The Fisherman Guy
02-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Well you have touched on a tough one Dean.

I also share your concern that being too secretive is just greedy, but that's fishing!! Take every piece of advice that you have received as that, advice not gospel.

As far as "Lake X" is concerned, there are plenty of lakes out there for everyone to enjoy. At first glance, I thought it to be a bit of a coy game of others posting their unbelievable success, somewhat snooty and "in your face" when posing about their secret lake or location. After reading this forum for a few years now, I have developed some know how in how some folks operate.

I now see these "Lake X's" as a poke in the right direction from EXPERIENCED anglers. These people are the ones that put in countless hours fishing, searching, driving, reviewing bathymetry and topographical maps, and just plain trying someplace new. The time and effort invested drastically outweigh the monetary investment, and it pay's off for these dedicated anglers. I can assure you Dean, none of these anglers got to where they are by reading a forum, but I am sure it has helped. By posting a secret lake, it intrigues people to try new things, new lakes, new lures and entirely new approaches to fishing.

The problem is: Not just forum members read our message board. Imagine the amount of reader traffic that our board receives. This might give you some insight into why people are protective of their spots.

**If you want useful information, you will have to do better than just asking for it. My advice to you is, post what has been working and what has not been working for you. If you are not having luck in a certain location, or with a certain lure. The experienced anglers for that area will chime in and let you know. Then when you discover something incredible, you have something to leverage real secrets from experienced anglers in your area and really get into some fish!

Don't be discouraged, it's the Lake X's that keep me looking for new places to try my luck.

Dacotensis
02-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Great response TFG,
it's good to see some sound advice.
I remember when I was younger , my dad would put us in the jeep and we would all head out to discover a new lake or a new part of a lake.
Lots of good days fishing and lots of slow days fishing.
People are secretive for good reason.
Consider the # of views on the post "perch, perch and more perch" 1320 views, that's crazy. Everyone want's to get into good fishing. Can't say I blame em. Who want's a slow day of fishing? Any one up for it?

I know I've put in a lot of time hunting, spoting, asking permission, driving, driving some more.
Do I keep many of "my" spots secret. You bet. I've paid the price.

That being said, I'm always up for a few insider tips and I'm not afraid to ask.
If you don't ask, many won't tell.
Good luck.

nicemustang
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
You don't have to be a member of the forum to see what's posted here. There could litterally be 1000's of viewers. But I don't think that this is the primary reason a lake falls. Lakes have been up and down long before the internet was born. It's the education and regulations in AB that has been demise of most lakes.

I'm a relativley younger person, with limited AB experience. But I shared a hole once and next thing you know there was 100 people fishing it every weekend. People abuse information and are too lazy to go out and find it themselves. I will never do that again. I'm happy to share things on almost every lake I go, especially what i'm using, techniques etc. But I will not give up honey holes. In order to do that, you have to take me fishing with you so I can see if you aren't going to abuse it.

Back in the day, word of mouth was gospel. If you stop by Scotty's at Pine Lake, they'll tell you exactly where the good fishing is. Personally i think stuff like that is worse that this board.

Banger
02-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I am all about not sharing your good fishing spots. But i personally am not going to come on here and tell you about how great of a spot it is and how many fish i caught. Some things you can just keep to your self. But some people like to puff out their chest and tell everyone how great they are.

DeanP
02-24-2010, 01:56 PM
All very good points!

Last year I started a bit later in the season; mid Feb. The rest of the season amounted to having two bites and landing two fish in 1 1/2 mths. I went out every Saturday.
I gained my greatest knowledge, as to how to jig/what lures might work, not through this forum, but from folks who fish in Ontario.
Also, my time out on the ice has helped too. I tried all kinds of things.

So I guess if I was a seasoned ice guy (5+yrs), I might not help the newbie as much as I once was there also. But, I guess of who I am, I am always willing to help out whenever I can. I hope I can still say the same in 5 yrs from now.

I guess this is where I think not devolving a place is kind of crazy! As I do now say where to go and again hopefully in 5 yrs, I'm still willing to do this.

Now if anybody needs help on catching rainbow trout in central B.C., let me know as I have 25 plus yrs experience there!:)

trainerdave
02-24-2010, 02:00 PM
If someone has luck or if you are interested try contacting them privately. Many people are pretty good about getting back to you. Some will even meet you somewhere fishing to help sort things out. Most like to catch fish and like to keep their spot on the 'down low'...especially when fishing is slow...There have been quite a number of outings organized by great people on this forum:innocent:-who obviously are the sharing types. Cheers.

kidd
02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Bathymetry??? :lol:
Just kidding. Going to go find my dictionary though.
kidd

nicemustang
02-24-2010, 02:11 PM
I think another problem is amount of fishable lake per poulation in AB is very low. Like in BC, Ontario or SK you can share info because there is enough water and enough fish for everyone. Not the case here in AB.

unclebuck
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
My Lake X rant:

I've been ice fishing for only two winters now, but I tell you, trying to find out info on what to use, where to go and how to do it, is such a big secret, its crazy. :scared: Some guys are really helpful but others are soo secretative it bad. I never did it before, so I just wanted to be able to go out and at least have a bite!:)

How many guys/gals do they think read this forum? Out of all the guys/gals that I've met on the ice, only a handful read/belong to this forum. So that means maybe 1 out 10(or 20) will actually tee into the spot where you stated was good fishing. I mean really, you won't arrive at your secret spot one day to find 100 plus folks fishing where your "honey hole" is. I am not adverse to informing anyone where the fish are biting, but I do keep the type and color of lure, and the bait that I am using to myself.

I try to be helpful, with my little experience, to assist the new guy/gal who wants to be at least a bit successful.

Most of us have spent many years finding spots where we can catch on a regular basis. Why would you expect anyone to divulge their favorite spots, lures that catch, and which particular lake that we fish on. There are many lakes, spots on those lakes, and lures that catch fish. Get out and explore, and you will end up with your own favorite spots that you would not want anyone else to know about(called "secret spots").

RedFisher
02-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Well i feel responsible for this post with my recent burb hunt at Lake X ... see the reason alot of people dont want to disclose secret or certain "hot spots" is because of the hunt... i dont know how many times ive spent hundreds of dollars trying new lakes and not catching a single fish.... but at the end of the day you know .... i had a blast ... you cant trade that for anything. See 95 percent of the time i'll post where i went and how i did but these few times that i dont is because i want people to go out and try new lakes... find there own "hot spot" ... i'll personally share what kind of hooks i use and what teckniques or patterns i used with no issue ... I'll share pretty much any information with anyone if they send me a PM ... but as for posting exact locations thats pretty rare .... i got burnt this year when i told a few people what and where to catch some sharks ...slough sharks ... then i go there and catch them poaching ... no im not going to mention there screen name but i was really disapointed..and you know who you are..... And to answer any questions about the lake i went to with steveo ... i cant share the info because i was shown this spot by another member and wont wreck his spot ....thats for him to share if he wants...

DeanP
02-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Most of us have spent many years finding spots where we can catch on a regular basis. Why would you expect anyone to divulge their favorite spots, lures that catch, and which particular lake that we fish on. There are many lakes, spots on those lakes, and lures that catch fish. Get out and explore, and you will up with your own favorite spots that you would not want anyone else to know about(called "secret spots").

Yes, I can go out and spend lots of time doing this "hunting for fish", but I'm fairly new to AB and needed tips to get me going. I'm moving along okay now in my fishing success.:)

I'm alright with the fact that nobody freely wants to give up their honey hole. But a whole lake, they are pretty big are they not.:)

The Anvil
02-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I have gotten a great deal out of this site, and it's members.
I like anyone else have done my research and scouting, spending hours on the ice and what not. Many of you have been very helpful towards my journeys, sending me pm's or posting responses to my threads and I appreciate that very much. It makes for a more enjoyable experience.
I don't try to say hey give me the exact spot so I can fish the hole you were in, just looking for general info on what lake is active and the species being caught.
And I have tried to do my best in returning the info to others. If i know of some tips or tricks or special spots I will share the info. always more than happy to.

I know a few people that just read this site and never contribute, they are not members but might as well be for the amount of time they spend on here...:wave:

If you feel like helping someone, then PM them if you don't want to share it on a very heavily visited and open public forum.

Cheers,

Anvil:evilgrin:

unclebuck
02-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Dean, you are in the area of the finest fishing in northeastern Alberta. There are a lot of lakes, all containing pike, walleye, perch, lake trout, stocked trout, and whitefish. If you are willing to put some miles on your vehicle, try out Lakeland Provincial Recreation area, including Blackett, Kinnaird, Jackson, McGuffin, Pinehurst, Spencer, Siebert, Dabbs, and last but not least, Cold Lake. Go across the border into Sask. and you have many more lakes to choose from. Just a thought. PM me for some of the lakes.

noslack
02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I think another problem is amount of fishable lake per poulation in AB is very low. Like in BC, Ontario or SK you can share info because there is enough water and enough fish for everyone. Not the case here in AB.

It's the same everywhere. I moved to Slave Lake, Alberta 4 months ago from Ottawa, Ontario. I've lived 25 years in Ottawa before leaving.... And yes there might be more water in Ontario, but that doesn't mean the fishing is great....

Like any other Metropolis you're going to find the same issues. People keeping their spots to themselves. And I don't blame them. For the ammount of time I've put in searching documents, countless hours in the bush, thousands of Km's driving to find new lakes...and people are expecting me to give them names of lakes to fish??? I think not.

People have become extremely LAZY in the past 20 years and the Internet hasn't helped. Always trying to find shortcuts in everything, from work to school.

Now I don't mind sharing information on a certain area, but one of my go-to lakes??? nope. I keep that to myself!

DeanP
02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I posted my rant not to find out info on any lakes, but to kind of laugh at all of the secrets being held close to the chest.

I know that when I am out on the lakes and mention this site, most folks say they have never heard about it, so I assumed that is the norm with most forum guys/gals. I guess I'm nieve to the thought that folks cruise here to find info...without adding info.

Now I know that there are guys/gals on here that do help, they've either posted or pm'd me. Thanks to all.:wave:

I guess coming from B.C. with all the lakes there, isn't wasn't a big deal to tell folks, how, when or where. I just find it kind of odd that no one whats to freely post a certain lake.

Thanks for all and I don't mean to pi@@ anyone off.:)

Dougie55
02-24-2010, 02:59 PM
I agree with almost all posts so far, except Banger's, as for the most part, those of us that do reveal spots, and post pictures I do not believe are trying to look good. We just like to share info and help where we can. I, like most here, have certain spots on certain lakes, I do not divulge often, and only because these are either lakes that are/were hit hard and fishing is tough enough, or I do not think the lake can take much pressure. When I go and have a few days like I just did, I have no problem in sharing info, again, if I think it will not hurt the lake/s. Fishermen/ladies are notorious for not giving info, and as stated before, it is because they have spent many hours researching spots and lures, etc.
Also stated, you are in an area of Alberta that is second to none for numbers of fish, size, and amount of lakes, so you need to go and search some on your own to find what is what...Yes, it is hard for new fisherpeople to get some info, but hopefully you see why now. As a few have mentioned, if you PM one or two, you might get some helpful hints to get you going, and keep you searching for spots of your own.
My opinion only of course, and if I can help PM me as well, for some lakes and areas that usually produce fish.
Doug

Banger
02-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree with almost all posts so far, except Banger's, as for the most part, those of us that do reveal spots, and post pictures I do not believe are trying to look good.

No i agree with you 100%, I like most people on here like to see pictures and hear some tips, spots etc. All i was saying is that when SOME, not ALL, people come on here and have a big elaborate story but do not want to share any information at all come across as trying to rub it in peoples faces so to speak. It is cases like that, that make me wonder why people even both to post anything at all. But yes there are lots of people that do share and have no problem sharing. I just know i personally wouldnt throw big story up there that sounds just so amazing and not bother to say anything more about it, or have pictures or try to keep it secret.

lifesaflyin
02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
the problem with fishermen is its always a contest. and like a tv reality show they will go out of thier way to win.

nobody is ever sharing, its always "what can you do for me?" and "haha I win!!! now im going to rub your face in it." I wont even post on ice shanty because of this anymore. the people who are willing to help others out and rarely ask for anything are probly the people who are the happiest with their perfomance and acually enjoy the sport.

Walleyes
02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Personally I have no use for the chest pumpers that come on here with there lake X B.S. and I very seldom even acknowledge them in their conquests. In my eyes its just that a chest pumping thing and in no way does it contribute to the purpose of this board and that is sharing knowledge not chest pumping.

I personally spend as much time as most on the water in this province and other province's and have yet to hold back any info unless I was taken someplace by a friend and told to keep it secret,,, like that would happen.. Coming from the north east of this province I have seen more good fishing grounds eaten up than most could imagine yet I remain happy in the way things are.. We are all here to enjoy the place so lets all enjoy it. These guys that run out to lake X,,, south of Edmonton 20 miles are a joke,, yah a joke.. They have no idea what a private lake is.. I have seen more lakes destroyed by nature than fisherman. Take Missawawi ( spelling ? ) Little Buffalo,, not any you all are thinking of one way up in the back woods. Most of the lake X's would cry if they had to go that far in the bush. I have witnessed these lakes dwindle to nothing and not for the reasons the lake Xer's like to use for an excuse. I have seen mother nature take care of these lakes. Thats what most don't realise is that the lakes they are catching on are a popular lake and the sport fisherman is not the problem in most cases its just mother nature..

So to those lake Xer's I hope you choke on a Y bone enjoying your catch.. You are not even close to what the fraternity of the outdoorsman is about.

steveo955
02-24-2010, 05:02 PM
why do people aitomatically assume the worst in people? i dont know redfisher very well, but i dont think it was his intention to "rub it in peoples faces" or "puff up his chest" nor was it mine. this was my first good day fishing this year, so i was glad that redfisher shared the days results with everybody. its good incentive for other people to get out and keep trying. i asked redfisher to not mention where we were out of respect for the member who put me there. they actually pm'd me earlier with thanks for not divulging! when redfisher typed "lake x" is this what got everybodys panties in a bunch? would it have been better if he wouldnt have mentioned location? just ignore the requests for location when they are posted? there have been a few people that have pm'd me for info today and i have given the info to them. you can be sure that from here on in, anyone that i dont already know, when they ask for something, i will be reading their recent posts first. if they are one of the negative people that are constantly ruining posts, they wont get sfa from me! i encourage others to do the same. i do wish that i had pics, but i dont. at first it would have been nice to add to the story, but now im glad they are not there. some members spoke as if the pics are needed to justify the story. let me tell you..... i dont have to justify anything to you! to all of you that have positive comments, thanks! to all of you that didnt, pi$$ off. you should spend more time looking for "lake x" than spreading your negativity!;)

spopadyn
02-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Walleyes is bang on. When you go salmon fishing, people invest a lot of time and effort to get in on catch. All the pro's (guides et all) share secrets - what is hot, where it is hot etc. Maybe you don't have to tell anyone the exact GPS location, but telling all the bite is on for perch lures at CVR is hardly giving away a secret. I always will share and, in complete agreement with Walleyes, think the fist pumper chest pounders have missed the whole idea of this forum. Showing yourself catching 100 perch on a mystery lake is neither educational or humble (although I must admit it is fun to look at pictures). It kind of reminds me of the saying "Money talks, wealth whispers". Help others and you will helped.

Cheers.

Walleyes
02-24-2010, 05:14 PM
I can see your guys point.. You finally hit it lucky after years of trying and think it was the lake and your skill that payed off and not just a feeding frenzy that you hit..

No apology needed..

God sakes,, Sylvan Lake a lake X.. The lake is in the middle of a city you duds,, how can that be lake X ???

Ken07AOVette
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Every time I have gone to a lake this year, I have tried to post how it was. I have taken people from this board, to the lakes.

Dilberry- been great, lots of bows, nothing huge, small perch, very slow last 3 weeks

Angling- jacks only- slow all season

Shuster-brookies, small but lots of them

CA- not a bite

Clear- perch, walleye, nothing big, lots of action, slow last couple weeks.

Moose- if you nkow where to go, it is real good. I dont know where to go, and dont go there because of the mercury warning. I do fish there in summer, closer to the west side. Lots of jacks, hear theres eyes.

Ernistina- no lake there anymore, stinky, shallow, lots of shrimp and a wrecked set of blades from hitting bottom 1000 feet from shore.

If I offended anyone giving these 'super secret fishing holes' away, too bad.

Jack&7
02-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Steve and Redfisher...

When I read RF's post, it didn't sound like chest pumping to me. I just thought he was happy with the day's results. As for typing "Lake X" (which btw, will be my new screen name if I ever get kicked off!;)) I think that did pi$$ some people off because I have seen other posters come on here and lecture others about keeping stuff to themselves while taking a "screw everybody else" attitude.

Does Happy Perch Fisherman ring a bell?:sick:

Anyway...I can totally understand not wanting to divulge the location (which RF did anyway in another thread) out of respect for the member that shared their spot with you guys. Actually, I commend you guys for that. Overall, I think most of us on here are willing to share info, but I think that is a little easier to come by once you have demonstrated that you are a committed outdoors person. By that I mean if you just joined and you are on your second post and it says: "Where should I go, what should I use?", etc. etc....you probably won't get a lot of help.

Participate in some discussions, let people see what you're about and before you know it, the info will start coming in. If other members can see that you are willing to contribute to their discussions, they will be more willing to contribute to yours.

Now that i've said all that, what were the exact GPS coordinates of the location, size of the hole, thickness of the ice, what type of lures were being used, what bait, depth of water, color of underwear, time of day and oh yeah....how was the weather?:cool:

RedFisher
02-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Personally I have no use for the chest pumpers that come on here with there lake X B.S. and I very seldom even acknowledge them in their conquests. In my eyes its just that a chest pumping thing and in no way does it contribute to the purpose of this board and that is sharing knowledge not chest pumping.

I personally spend as much time as most on the water in this province and other province's and have yet to hold back any info unless I was taken someplace by a friend and told to keep it secret,,, like that would happen.. Coming from the north east of this province I have seen more good fishing grounds eaten up than most could imagine yet I remain happy in the way things are.. We are all here to enjoy the place so lets all enjoy it. These guys that run out to lake X,,, south of Edmonton 20 miles are a joke,, yah a joke.. They have no idea what a private lake is.. I have seen more lakes destroyed by nature than fisherman. Take Missawawi ( spelling ? ) Little Buffalo,, not any you all are thinking of one way up in the back woods. Most of the lake X's would cry if they had to go that far in the bush. I have witnessed these lakes dwindle to nothing and not for the reasons the lake Xer's like to use for an excuse. I have seen mother nature take care of these lakes. Thats what most don't realise is that the lakes they are catching on are a popular lake and the sport fisherman is not the problem in most cases its just mother nature..

So to those lake Xer's I hope you choke on a Y bone enjoying your catch.. You are not even close to what the fraternity of the outdoorsman is about.

You know what your a ****ing idiot .... do you actually read what you type?? :huh::huh::huh::huh: Like HELOO??? ANYBODY HOME... Your ok with what you see... the thing that just gets me going is people like this.:mad3::mad2:.. do people not understand that our lakes are going to the **** .... because of people overfishing them... like yes i know people love to catch fish but you know ive lived in AB pretty much my whole life ... and i will for the better part of whats left .... ive spent countless hours days ... weeks fishing ... i cant even remeber all the lakes i went to trying to figure out if theres fish in it or what works .... You know ive posted alot about Wabamun a lake i hold really close to my heart ... that was the first lake i ever ice fished with my dad 19 + yrs back ....and ive seen the lake go from AMAZING to well allmost dead .... now finally its comming back ... so i share a few little tricks i know and have learnt from all the years fishing there ... not 1 month ago i saw the worst thing ever...another AOF member walk off the ice with 2 big black garbage bags full of fish .... and whats the limit.. 0 ...ZERO !!! now what do think is going to happen if i post the exact spot where we went ... people are going to flock there like no tomorro ... and the lake is going to get hit really hard and people are going to poach ... i posted LAKE X out of respect for not only the person who sent us there but to the lake itself.... If you all want to bash me... do what you gotta do ...but at the end of the day ... i wasnt bragging ... i wasnt trying to show off anything ... i was just simply trying to say that hey look there is still good fishing out there you just gotta find it...

RedFisher
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Steve and Redfisher...

When I read RF's post, it didn't sound like chest pumping to me. I just thought he was happy with the day's results. As for typing "Lake X" (which btw, will be my new screen name if I ever get kicked off!;)) I think that did pi$$ some people off because I have seen other posters come on here and lecture others about keeping stuff to themselves while taking a "screw everybody else" attitude.

Does Happy Perch Fisherman ring a bell?:sick:

Anyway...I can totally understand not wanting to divulge the location (which RF did anyway in another thread) out of respect for the member that shared their spot with you guys. Actually, I commend you guys for that. Overall, I think most of us on here are willing to share info, but I think that is a little easier to come by once you have demonstrated that you are a committed outdoors person. By that I mean if you just joined and you are on your second post and it says: "Where should I go, what should I use?", etc. etc....you probably won't get a lot of help.

Participate in some discussions, let people see what you're about and before you know it, the info will start coming in. If other members can see that you are willing to contribute to their discussions, they will be more willing to contribute to yours.

Now that i've said all that, what were the exact GPS coordinates of the location, size of the hole, thickness of the ice, what type of lures were being used, what bait, depth of water, color of underwear, time of day and oh yeah....how was the weather?:cool:

... i think i posted everything you just asked allready.. :lol::lol::lol: ..oo yah the weather ... it was kinda foggy in the morning but then the sun came out and was really nice.. :rolleyes: :lol::lol:

dodger
02-24-2010, 05:39 PM
I have always shared tips and some very good spots when a person sends me a p.m. They usually start off with " Ive read some of your posts and would like some help on ex. Travers ) I appreciated that they did a little research and I always share some good spots. I only keep 2 spots close to my heart and it took many years to find those spots and what there hitting. But 95% of my spots I share.

This post brings back a memory of a member sending me a p.m. about Clear Lake and how good it was. I started going there and it was awesome. There were only a couple of boats and it was very quiet for about 2 years. I never posted anything about Clear Lake but then a few posts on here and a few more and now I have not been there in 2 years as my last year there it was a zoo. When I caught a Pike I had boats pulling up beside me and they then started chucking lures all around me.

Dodger.

Walleyes
02-24-2010, 05:42 PM
You know what your a ****ing idiot .... do you actually read what you type?? :huh::huh::huh::huh: Like HELOO??? ANYBODY HOME... Your ok with what you see... the thing that just gets me going is people like this.:mad3::mad2:.. do people not understand that our lakes are going to the **** .... because of people overfishing them... like yes i know people love to catch fish but you know ive lived in AB pretty much my whole life ... and i will for the better part of whats left .... ive spent countless hours days ... weeks fishing ... i cant even remeber all the lakes i went to trying to figure out if theres fish in it or what works .... You know ive posted alot about Wabamun a lake i hold really close to my heart ... that was the first lake i ever ice fished with my dad 19 + yrs back ....and ive seen the lake go from AMAZING to well allmost dead .... now finally its comming back ... so i share a few little tricks i know and have learnt from all the years fishing there ... not 1 month ago i saw the worst thing ever...another AOF member walk off the ice with 2 big black garbage bags full of fish .... and whats the limit.. 0 ...ZERO !!! now what do think is going to happen if i post the exact spot where we went ... people are going to flock there like no tomorro ... and the lake is going to get hit really hard and people are going to poach ... i posted LAKE X out of respect for not only the person who sent us there but to the lake itself.... If you all want to bash me... do what you gotta do ...but at the end of the day ... i wasnt bragging ... i wasnt trying to show off anything ... i was just simply trying to say that hey look there is still good fishing out there you just gotta find it...

Sylvan Lake,, lake X, :lol: :lol: :lol: what a town kid place to fish.. I am almost embarrassed for you..

packhuntr
02-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Relax guys. Big fish are where you FIND THEM. Pin em down, fish them hard and it is possible to bury the iron on one. That said X is the only place I fish anymore.... The fishing is nothing short of fantastic. Wanna see some more slammer pike pics Walleyes?? Nahhh, I didnt think so.

Walleyes
02-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Relax guys. Big fish are where you FIND THEM. Pin em down, fish them hard and it is possible to bury the iron on one. That said X is the only place I fish anymore.... The fishing is nothing short of fantastic. Wanna see some more slammer pike pics Walleyes?? Nahhh, I didnt think so.

Like I always say,, The only reason God made Pike is for the peolpe who can't catch Walleye...

noslack
02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Like I always say,, The only reason God made Pike is for the peolpe who can't catch Walleye...

:lol::lol::D:lol::lol:

WayneChristie
02-24-2010, 07:37 PM

:tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::D

big
02-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I am all about not sharing your good fishing spots. But i personally am not going to come on here and tell you about how great of a spot it is and how many fish i caught. Some things you can just keep to your self. But some people like to puff out their chest and tell everyone how great they are.

who cares if you show off about fishing. i mean seriously its fishing...its a joke sport. its not like i think i'm great t when i limit out. i just like to think that i'm extremely lucky for going on a day when they're biting.

but if i go end to end dangling the whole team and going bar down

thats something to puff your chest out about.

smitty9
02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Just another perspective/angle to add:

Keep in mind that SRD's budget has been cut. Positions have been cut, less enforcement, less biologist, less management on an overutilized resource (at least in some waterbodies).

So yes, sorry, but i can't trust some of the faceless internet people out there. So I'll gladly help with the how to catch, when to catch, and what to use. But where?

That's a judgment call.

Were some people actually insinuating that if I only help by offering help on what, when, how, but not where I am not being helpful? That's ludicrous!

I'm not going to tell you where I can catch native cutts or athabascan rainbows. And since they get fished out so quickly - often after the word is spread on the internet - , and their worth more than gold nowadays, no, I am not going to tell you my best perch humpie holes. That's not selfish; its prudence, its good judgement, because you never know when the word finally gets out, the 2nd, or 5th or 11th person in line is an idiot/ignorant poacher.

Some fisheries are fragile, and its because they're simply not a priority. 2010 AB fisheries management frankly does not allow us the luxury of just pointing fish are here, here and here. Sorry, that just would be dumb.

Plus, its called using the search function on this site. Its called reading the regs and the stocking lists. Its called buying Barry's AB Fishing Guide, and its called doing your homework.

Now having said that, I have no problem pointing out exactly where to catch walleye in Pigeon, or rainbows out of the many put and take lakes. Clearly, a lot of our lakes are popular and the ship has sailed in terms of false sense of secrecy. I mean, Wabamun has big jacks by the warm water discharge? Holy...I can't believe I let that one slip! :)

So use your head and common sense. Not every spot needs to be published and shared. I say that with a sense of balance and protection for the future...

Smitty

Walleyes
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Good point smitty..
But,, if you want to keep it secret and its not about chest pounding then why even put it on here.. I got no problem if some want to keep a secret. Fine keep it but don't come on here and look for gratuity and not give info,,one or the other,, secret or give it up..

There is no room for a braggart in my world.. Only room for fellow outdoorsman..

Sylvan Lake,, Lake X,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

superspud
02-24-2010, 09:26 PM
i agree 100% with the lake x thing.
it takes tons of work to find the best spots and to learn rivers or lakes like the back of your hand.

i dont mind helping people out, but honestly i dont really know any of you and therefore i dont really trust you. no offence i hope. (and when i say you i mean the 100's of people who read the board)

tons of people poach, use barbed hooks and pratice wack and stack your freezer kind of fishing. which is fine for the people who do it, but thats not the way i fish.

i prefer to respect my enviroment.
therefore, if i get to know you and learn your fishing habits, and learn your not going also going to protect a resource then i am more then happy to share spots with you.
just pm a guy i bet he will take you fishing and let you in on a ton of tips

and i do not think that is poor sportsman or outdoorsmanship like conduct.
part of being a outdoorsman is protecting the enviroment from potential poachers and abusers.

RedFisher
02-24-2010, 10:03 PM
i agree 100% with the lake x thing.
it takes tons of work to find the best spots and to learn rivers or lakes like the back of your hand.

i dont mind helping people out, but honestly i dont really know any of you and therefore i dont really trust you. no offence i hope. (and when i say you i mean the 100's of people who read the board)

tons of people poach, use barbed hooks and pratice wack and stack your freezer kind of fishing. which is fine for the people who do it, but thats not the way i fish.

i prefer to respect my enviroment.
therefore, if i get to know you and learn your fishing habits, and learn your not going also going to protect a resource then i am more then happy to share spots with you.
just pm a guy i bet he will take you fishing and let you in on a ton of tips

and i do not think that is poor sportsman or outdoorsmanship like conduct.
part of being a outdoorsman is protecting the enviroment from potential poachers and abusers.

Thanks... :wave::wave::D

spopadyn
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFisher
nice perch.... where abouts did you get those..

Posted by spopadyn
Funny how a guy like you who keeps his spots secret wants to know where this guy caught his fish> Funny.....

Posted by RedFisher
You know what go **** yourself ... that all .... and read what i asked N E S W ... i was not asking for exact spot i was just trying to figure out if they were picking up by lac la biche ... i was not asking for an exact spot just a general idea. ....

Look at how offended RedFisher got on the other thread, even though he was asking. I don't get guys like him. Nothing personal, but you are a guy who doesn't practice what you preach. Keep up the chest pounding you fish slaying titan!

RedFisher
02-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFisher
nice perch.... where abouts did you get those..

Posted by spopadyn
Funny how a guy like you who keeps his spots secret wants to know where this guy caught his fish> Funny.....

Posted by RedFisher
You know what go **** yourself ... that all .... and read what i asked N E S W ... i was not asking for exact spot i was just trying to figure out if they were picking up by lac la biche ... i was not asking for an exact spot just a general idea. ....

Look at how offended RedFisher got on the other thread, even though he was asking. I don't get guys like him. Nothing personal, but you are a guy who doesn't practice what you preach. Keep up the chest pounding you fish slaying titan!

Wow we sure know who can read

RedFisher

LOL... just wondering North EAST SOUTH OR WEST... im heading out to lac. la biche ... soon for some perch and wondering if there picking up or not..
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

read the whole post... :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh: helloo.. anybody home

nicemustang
02-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Wow this has probably gone on long enough. At least I know now who not to give information to via pm. Thanks for narrowing down the idiots.

Walleyes
02-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Yah but,, Sylvan Lake,,, lake X ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's like going to a Nice little Ukrainian Restaurant on the weekend,, eating perogies and not telling anyone where it was cause your scared they will get there and eat them all before you..

Sylvan Lake,, Lake X :lol: :lol:

nicemustang
02-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Hey yeah I hear ya! Definitely a strange motive.

RedFisher
02-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Yah but,, Sylvan Lake,,, lake X ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's like going to a Nice little Ukrainian Restaurant on the weekend,, eating perogies and not telling anyone where it was cause your scared they will get there and eat them all before you..

Sylvan Lake,, Lake X :lol: :lol:

Hell no im aint going to go to no resturant if i want perogies ... im going into my freezer and eat some home made ones... :lol::lol::lol: ...damit now im crazing them ...

addicted
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
true, enough said

spopadyn
02-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Walleyes, you are now my favourite poster - bar none. Redfisher thinks he is saving the world by not telling anyone Sylvan Lake has burbot. Whoa! That guy has to slow down or the two other lakes he fishes will also be poached to death. PS - where can I find some good perogies! Now Red will call us both ******************ing idiots (he doesn't ever use the correct amount of stars!)

flynick
02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
:innocent:if it was like some of the other forums i have joined.... i actualy contribute to... you must be signed in to view some certain information..... would that work better?:cool:

RedFisher
02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Walleyes, you are now my favourite poster - bar none. Redfisher thinks he is saving the world by not telling anyone Sylvan Lake has burbot. Whoa! That guy has to slow down or the two other lakes he fishes will also be poached to death. PS - where can I find some good perogies! Now Red will call us both ******************ing idiots (he doesn't ever use the correct amount of stars!)

:lol::lol::lol: you can find good perogies in edmonton ... opps City X ... off of 97 st & 167 ... Shrumka ...or should i say store Z ..:wave::wave:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-24-2010, 10:38 PM
I agree and disagree with Folks posting Lake X or whatever they might call it .

People in the past years have gotten lazy . Not many guys going out and getting there own hot spots , they resort to the Internet , Myself included .
I think its a great tool to help , people who wanna go out have a good time , hook into a few fish. But Where I think its wrong is that people are relying on Exact spots where fish are being caught .

I know myself have stopped posting where I catch fish Including Pictures , as being pressed into everyone wanting to know the Hot spot , Or argue whatever , Simply got sick of it . Not to mention the Huge amounts of people showing up where we might be at . I know offer , you wanna message me I will probably tell you where to go . Probably wont give out the Hot spot , but will give an area .

I think as The Internet forums grow larger and larger every year , people are going to continue to take the lazy way out . Instead of cutting a new trail , drilling a few holes and if nothing move on . And continue to do so until you get into fish . I know this is what I like to do . Maybe gain a little Information , on how a lake is fishing , or Ice thickness , or whatever , I could careless if you give me your Hot spot ( Honey Hole ) .

I was always taught that half the fun is finding the fish , I guess this is why I like hunting also . So much Thrill in the stalk . Its not even about catching all those fish . But Ill admit thats fun to . SO remember dont be rude , just simply give basic Information . Lakes are huge places . Lets get along instead of Bickering back and forth.

REMEMBER WERE IN THIS SPORT TOGETHER INSTEAD OF MAKING IT A BIG SECRET .

Walleyes
02-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Yup my sweetie makes all the perogies this old dog can eat beleive me,,( cause I married a good Ukrainian girl from Vegreville).. Fish on the other hand I am on my own..

trophybook
02-24-2010, 10:41 PM
wonder who that would be?

RedFisher
02-24-2010, 10:45 PM
LOL... :lol: ...Veg .... thats where im from ... **** small world after all....

Jack&7
02-24-2010, 10:51 PM
:innocent:if it was like some of the other forums i have joined.... i actualy contribute to... you must be signed in to view some certain information..... would that work better?:cool:

I've been on forums with that format as well. It's a nice idea...but really, in the grand scheme of things, is the fact that someone doesn't want to tell me where they went fishing going to stop me from going anyway? If it does and I feel the need to berate that person for not telling me...I need to sell the fishing equipment and take up lawn bowling.

I agree and disagree with Folks posting Lake X or whatever they might call it .

People in the past years have gotten lazy . Not many guys going out and getting there own hot spots , they resort to the Internet , Myself included .
I think its a great tool to help , people who wanna go out have a good time , hook into a few fish. But Where I think its wrong is that people are relying on Exact spots where fish are being caught .

I know myself have stopped posting where I catch fish Including Pictures , as being pressed into everyone wanting to know the Hot spot , Or argue whatever , Simply got sick of it . Not to mention the Huge amounts of people showing up where we might be at . I know offer , you wanna message me I will probably tell you where to go . Probably wont give out the Hot spot , but will give an area .

I think as The Internet forums grow larger and larger every year , people are going to continue to take the lazy way out . Instead of cutting a new trail , drilling a few holes and if nothing move on . And continue to do so until you get into fish . I know this is what I like to do . Maybe gain a little Information , on how a lake is fishing , or Ice thickness , or whatever , I could careless if you give me your Hot spot ( Honey Hole ) .

I was always taught that half the fun is finding the fish , I guess this is why I like hunting also . So much Thrill in the stalk . Its not even about catching all those fish . But Ill admit thats fun to . SO remember dont be rude , just simply give basic Information . Lakes are huge places . Lets get along instead of Bickering back and forth.

REMEMBER WERE IN THIS SPORT TOGETHER INSTEAD OF MAKING IT A BIG SECRET .

You hit that nail on the head, BBJ. Can't agree more.

Fishfinder
02-25-2010, 02:43 AM

I wanna agree with u but can't. Depends on where one fishes right? I can catch Pike or Wallys. Depends on circumstance. Why u choose to defend ur walleye ( even though that is not really the ? at hand) is your choice. Have u ever fought a 5 ft pike? Till then, keep tellin us of ur tuff wally fights. When I personally am searchin for LARGE pike or sturg, I often end up with Walleye on the end of my line. Maybe it's jus me..... but i think Walleye are the easiest fish to catch....:huh: Very easy..jus gotta locate:)

This is where location differs.

DeanP
02-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Okay, this is exactly why I joined this site: for info. I am relatively new to AB. Grew up in B.C. (25yrs there), we had only one species of fish: rainbow trout. (at least while I was there, central B.C.)
So now I'm here in AB and there are many species to which I haven't a clue on how to catch on hard water. I was the guy buying all of those "shiney" lures thinking:"boy! this should work" to which was usually unsuccessful.

I have now bought enough open water stuff that I do okay. But I just started hard water, and I am searching the internet for clues. I have obtained enough info to be able to land lakers, burbot and pike, all in relatively a small amount of time of learning on how.
So, I guess if I grew up anywhere else in Canada, where there are multiple species, then I wouldn't have to seek out info. But because I spent 25 yrs fishing only one specie, I have to learn fast cause 25yrs from now, I'll be almost too old to go!:)

My only quest now is to catch a perch; I've heard/read lots about these great little fish but have yet to catch one.

adventures
02-25-2010, 11:32 AM
A good topic, and I know it’s been brought up before. One of the reasons I joined this board was for the information exchange it provides and to read about other’s success or lack of it. In the pre-internet days I used to regularly call the FH Hotline for their weekly updates. While a bit vague, it helped point me in the right direction at least. Early message boards were also helpful, and I found I contributed more reports back then, and then I stopped simply because very few others were reporting. I do understand why we shouldn’t always post detailed info on specific spots on a lake or on a small lake for example, so in some reports the Lake X thing is necessary. But that being said I’d really like to see more reports (hot or cold) coming in from the hundreds/thousands of fishers who use this site as an information source. I agree with nicemustang who doesn’t believe that posting info on the net is the main reason why a lake falls. As others have said before it’s the reactive SRD management, mother nature, etc. that contribute more to collapsing fisheries. I can think back to the mid 70’s when I first started icefishing with my Dad and the lakes we went to seemed a lot busier than today. Long, La Nonne, Fork, North Buck were fantastic quality perch fisheries, but they seemed much busier in the past than in recent years - and the fishing was much better even with what looked like heavy pressure and obviously higher kill rates compared to today. It may be true that message boards are putting some extra pressure on lakes that are mentioned, but I’m not sure how much or if it’s significant.

I’m guessing hundreds of members and readers went fishing over the past week, but not a lot of report threads. Some report info does make it into other threads, but overall it makes up for a lesser amount of the content of the board. I’m guilty too. I’ve been out a few times this year and haven’t offered a single report. So that will change, as I’m trying to get out at least a few more times before the season shuts down next month. I also like the PM idea to contact anglers directly to share info (should be a two way street). The other idea of limiting page views or content to members only is another good idea, but I guess it limits traffic/ad rates which is important to the hosts.
Keep up the excellent content and discussions guys & gals, and for what it’s worth I’d like to encourage more legit reports being posted.

Jim

albertadave
02-25-2010, 01:19 PM
There's fish in Sylvan Lake??? Who knew?? Glad you told us that redfisher, now I'm going to go out to your secret lake and catch them,......all of them.:lol: BTW, if you guys think fishermen are secretive about their spots I've got news for you, they've got nothing on sheep hunters. Go over to the hunting discussion and start a thread asking for a good location to shoot a ram and see how far you get.:lol:

fish-man
02-25-2010, 11:59 PM

That's funny, I thought walleye were made to be pike food:)

moosehunter3-0
02-26-2010, 12:36 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: seriously you guys are a complete joke. If someone doesnt want to include a location just dont comment if it really doesnt bother you. No sense in ***** footing your way around this forum when someone doesnt share information you demand from them hahaha. In the "lake X" post he was simply stating the ling are picking up, does the lake really matter? Figure it out.

Shmag
02-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Well i work every other week-end, and it kills me not to get out especially with the mild winter this year. I do enjoy reading stories of how the week-end fishing was and really enjoy checking out the pictures and i usually give them congrats on a good day on the water. If they don't post what lake they are at or post Lake X, well thats just fine by me. It's still nice to know they are out there "somewhere"

Fishfinder
02-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Lotsa really good points here for sure. I dunno, imo, it's the individuals right to choose to reveal a location. Nuttin wrong with being secretive at all. I'm kinda with NMStang on this one. I too have given away honey hole locations in the past.....never again....:tongue2: Not that I have any problem whatsoever with sharing a spot with a few people, however, if the wrong person catches wind of the location (and I have personally witnessed this) tells all his/her friends, and a honey hole has sadly jus become a place for me to clean up litter.

WayneChristie
02-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Not that I have any problem whatsoever with sharing a spot with a few people, however, if the wrong person catches wind of the location (and I have personally witnessed this) tells all his/her friends, and a honey hole has sadly jus become a place for me to clean up litter.[/QUOTE]

exactly!

vetterm39
02-27-2010, 12:32 AM
i have mixed feelings about this, but when a spot is located that is a magnet for fish (say a sunken island not shown on a hydrographic map)that took 6 or more years to find its really the finder's choice.my best on such a spot was 13 walleye in 14 casts, these spots should not be devulged due to the numerous abuses that occur, when fishing like this is available.

Oilberta
02-27-2010, 04:59 AM
I am a little surprised that someone is complaining about not being told where the honey hole is.
I have not been on this Forum for all that long. But since I have been on it many people have offered to go fishing with me! I work a strange schedule up in NE BC, and I have been busy this winter so I have not yet taken anyone up on the offer. But I would like to thank all those who have offered, and I hope that one day soon I can go with people.

That being said, I don't expect people to take me to their best spot on our fisrt fishing trip together. It could even take years to culture that trust.
I don't take people to my best spots mostly because they were shown to me by people, and I wish to respect their wishes.
But when I get to know someone I will take them to my best spots.
Most of us like the social aspect of fishing so if you want to know the best spots ask someone to meet up with you on a lake. I know I took someone I knew to a spot I like on a lake I fish. It wasn't my best spot on the lake, but I know they will catch fish there!

Walleyes
02-27-2010, 09:57 AM
The O.P. was not upset about not being told about someones honey hole but rather the lake.. Big difference..

jesse34567
02-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Yup it can be a problem, I remember going to pine coulee the first time (one year after stocking) at that time their was no one on the lake very quiet and all the walleye you could catch. Now I have yet to go out where their are speed boats and such passing by :mad3:

I have no idea why someone would want to take their speedboat there the lake is not wide at all and every time they pass you get the 1.5 ft swells

it must be a nightmare for small boat fisherman.

The Fisherman Guy
03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
...Figure it out.

This kid know's more at his age, than many others who decide to whine and hope someone will figure it out for them.

All you had to do was ask... Lake X is not that hard to find...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=51.002522,-119.012146&num=1&t=h&sll=50.986099,-119.032745&sspn=0.387296,1.229095&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.024121,-119.016266&spn=0.386979,1.752319&z=10

Buck Krazy
03-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I think thats Lake H...:lol:

mooseknuckle
03-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah bc is right definately lake H:lol:

Nanuk
03-09-2010, 11:51 AM
The last time I checked its called FISHING not catching. For me half the fun is in exploring and trying new tackle and presentations. On the other hand if someone is willing to put in some individual effort I see no problem sharing info matching their level of effort.