PDA

View Full Version : Spray Lake

Castincowboy
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
We're gonna fish Spray on the weekend. A first for me...
What can I expect? Has it been good for the lakers this winter?

More excited for my kids to catch but will be fun for sure.;)

Thanks.

nicemustang
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Not to pop your balloon, but I'd reschedule to next weekend for spray. It's a full moon and the lakers at this time of year are quite lethargic. They tend to feed a lot at night during the full moon and late ice is notorious for slow bites during a full moon. It seems to always slow down in Feb - Mar for some reason. Not to say you can't catch fish, but it may be hit or miss. Hate to have the kids syked up for a day of skunk.

Last time I was there it was slow in our regular spot, slow for everyone around us. Not sure, but I'd go as deep as you can or shallower than normal (typically we fish 60-80 FOW). Remember you can't use minnows there, have to use smelt. Use something white or glow like a tube jig or 2" buzz bomb. Jig agressively and make sure your out at first light as fishing dies off super quick this time of year.

aulrich
02-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Odd ball bites like on a wireworm in 15' of water trying for whites :).

And I was planning to go there this weekend as well. Upper K is an option.

Mind you I am currently desperate for some smoked whitefish.

FishBrain
02-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Planning on going there on Sat. Was there 2 weeks ago and if that is what is called slow,I would LOVE to be there when the bite is on!!! I am hoping to hit the lakers first, then try for some whites. Never caught a white there, time to try!!!

Sir Landsalot
02-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Sound advice from NiceMustang. x2

icefever
02-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Went last Saturday between 2 of us caught 14 and lost 6 all before noon. Fish deep. Had my best winter up there this year.

Castincowboy
03-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Well the day was great. Then again I'm easily impressed :lol:
Had an awesome day with my sons and we all caught. What's not to like?

Check out my article on the trip:
http://www.examiner.com/x-30256-Calgary-Hunting-Examiner

If ya like my writing please share my link with others and subscribe.:ashamed:

Cheers!

iliketrout
03-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Great article, looks like a fun day. One of the trout you were holding in the picures in the slideshow looked somewhat bigger than the average out there.

FishBrain
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Great pictures, that shawn and daryl picture....Which ever one of them is in the winter camo, I was talking to at the gas station on hwy 1 near cochrane in the morning, I was heading to spray myself!!

Castincowboy
03-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Great article, looks like a fun day. One of the trout you were holding in the picures in the slideshow looked somewhat bigger than the average out there.

Yeah that was my second last fish of the day. Healthy fish that's for sure. But, if my 10 year old would have been able to land his before it spit the hook it would have absolutely dwarfed mine. I was more excited then he was. His rod was completely bent in half and line was being peeled out constantly and I know Jeff (guide) tightened down his drag quite a bit...:cry:

Castincowboy
03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Great pictures, that shawn and daryl picture....Which ever one of them is in the winter camo, I was talking to at the gas station on hwy 1 near cochrane in the morning, I was heading to spray myself!!

That would be Shawn. A great guy! He is the Fishing Chairman for the Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association (http://www.airdriehfa.com) he planned the whole trip and so far any event/trip Shawn plans is an AWESOME time!:evilgrin:

FishBrain
03-06-2010, 02:43 PM
That would be Shawn. A great guy! He is the Fishing Chairman for the Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association (http://www.airdriehfa.com) he planned the whole trip and so far any event/trip Shawn plans is an AWESOME time!:evilgrin:

HEy good to know, Thanks!!