PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on ice chippers for ice fishing holes

mudbug
02-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi, I'm new to this posting board and I have a question for the ice fishers here, has anyone ever used an ice chipper like the kind they sell at Wholesale Sports for making ice fishing holes? The one I'm referring to is the Mille Lac Ice Chipper. It claims you can make decent holes in a short time in up to three feet of ice but I've never used one or know of anyone that has so any feedback would be much appreciated. Ice augers don't like me much especially the gas ones, we have a love and hate relationship mainly bordering on the hate side.

TrollGRG
02-28-2010, 06:35 PM
To make it short - they do work.

Takes more effort than a hand powered auger and the first few times you will end up with a ragged hole but you will get one.

I am not familiar with the chipper you are refering to but I have used a few different ones over the years and will not go back.

If you do decide to use one, make sure you tie it to your wrist with a good strong line (like para cord). If you don't you will be going back to buy another one soon.

mudbug
02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll definately tie it off to myself or the quad especially if I make a hole big enough for me to fit down, I'd hate for my life insurence to have to pay out a claim ;o) The last time I took my manual ice auger out I dropped it on the cutting blades in the driveway and we all know how much better that makes them drill holes..........

WayneChristie
02-28-2010, 09:45 PM
I picked up an auger sharpener at the Fishin Hole for under 10 bucks, works great. then I bought a gas auger the next weekend because the ice was too thick. but at least the old blades are sharp :D